Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2021, 08:48 PM   #31
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [IW] What does the world of Cyrano look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
Even if you're hopelessly literal-minded, actual hadrosaurs lived on Earth 78 million years ago, not on an alternate, habitable Venus in the (more or less) present day. These creatures are likely "hadrosauroid" instead, and the GM is fully justified in deciding what that means.
The GM needs to decide how the hadrosaurs are riden.

If the rider sits astride the dino (even on the neck) the hadrosaur probably needs to be smaller than the fossil version.

If the "riders" are sitting on top of the back (possibly in a "hadrosaur howdah") you need the posture that gives you a level back.

I'd vote for a dino of c. horse size that just happens to have a duck bill (and maybe a hollow crest for hooting).
Old 05-05-2021, 04:42 AM   #32
Not

Almost sure I've seen an illustration where he's riding astride the neck at about the shoulders and the beast is in a bipedal crouch in one of the books.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:38 PM   #33
warellis

For Cyrano, what do you think societal mores are like?

I've little idea what general societal and sexual mores were, and were like, in the period Cyrano's timeline diverges from.

All I remember is that the Victorians were far more prudish compared to earlier eras like the Early Modern era this setting diverged in.

Last edited by warellis; 07-21-2021 at 07:12 PM.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:52 PM   #34
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
For Cyrano, what do you think societal mores are like?
Musketeer France of course. Gurps Swashbucklers covers this.

At least among the Francophone culture. The Jade Emperor alone know how the Han do things.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:05 PM   #35
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post

At least among the Francophone culture. The Jade Emperor alone know how the Han do things.
Well, surely the Han aren't as inscrutable as the old pulp stories tell us? :D

You know it's weird, it seems like Europe in Cyrano stopped any interaction with the Islamic world after the psi-tech was created.

Makes me wonder how the Islamic world was reacting to both Europe & China there.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:23 PM   #36
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Well, surely the Han aren't as inscrutable as the old pulp stories tell us? :D

You know it's weird, it seems like Europe in Cyrano stopped any interaction with the Islamic world after the psi-tech was created.

Makes me wonder how the Islamic world was reacting to both Europe & China there.
If the invasions from the steppes in out timeline continued and got worse even before Europe got attacked the islamic world might be reduced to even smaller and more distant outposts than the French Empire.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:26 PM   #37
warellis

Quote:
If the invasions from the steppes in out timeline continued and got worse even before Europe got attacked the islamic world might be reduced to even smaller and more distant outposts than the French Empire.
Yeah but the divergence point here was in 1638. Which means up to that point, history was the same as OTL (I'm assuming it was a high-inertia parallel despite the subsequently discovered psi-tech & weird physics).

I mean, wouldn't the entry have mentioned the steppe invasions having damaged the Islamic world more heavily here then?
Old 07-22-2021, 01:52 AM   #38
Phil Masters

Quote:
Yep. It’s defined to be a hopelessly swashbuckling setting. Mores are officially strict and formal, unofficially downright libertine at times. The Dashing Hero isn’t supposed to flirt with the governor’s daughter or the duke’s wife, but somehow contrives to get away with it anyway.

That’s in high society, anyway. What happens in the Low Taverns where the Dashing Hero and his companions go Roistering… Isn’t for the delicate ears of wives, servants, or purse-lipped divines.

Though if a GM wants to work a twist on this, they could always have things go all Les Liaisons Dangereuses. After all, we know that there is corruption eating away at the heart of the Empire; it’s a fair bet that some arrogant aristos behave as cynically in their private lives as in their politics.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:32 AM   #39
warellis

Most heroes in swashbuckling stuff aren't exactly low-born, are they?

I amways got the feeling they were more like minor nobles.

Granted, I wonder if that is technically "middle-class" or "upper middle-class" in a setting like Cyrano.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:41 AM   #40
Phil Masters

Quote:
Most heroes in swashbuckling stuff aren't exactly low-born, are they?

I amways got the feeling they were more like minor nobles.

Granted, I wonder if that is technically "middle-class" or "upper middle-class" in a setting like Cyrano.
Those heroes tend to be at least middle class - of a level to acquire formal training in fencing and enter the army as officers - and there's a tendency to validate the delusion that breeding ensures superiority in all things. But very posh aristos tend to come across as snobbish and obstructive, I think. (D'Artagnan was relatively impoverished gentry.) And one may be able to find relatively low-born heroes in pirate stories (though pirate heroes are often concealing a secret high-born background).
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote