Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
lachimba

Default Always on attacks that affect all nearby opponents

With auras, emanations, area effect attacks and the like that are always on:

Can the attacker move through waves of opponents on their turn and affect all of them?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
Gef

Default Re: Always on attacks that affect all nearby opponents

That'd be my interpretation; pretty much the point of an aura. Emanation starts at a specific point, though, the hex you're in when you trigger the attack so enhanced.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
That'd be my interpretation; pretty much the point of an aura. Emanation starts at a specific point, though, the hex you're in when you trigger the attack so enhanced.
I have a feeling high move (N)PCs are going to give their opponents a heache if they do full damage to everyone that they walk past.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
With auras, emanations, area effect attacks and the like that are always on:

Can the attacker move through waves of opponents on their turn and affect all of them?
Auras would be a yes, but, stepping back and forth would only affect each target once per turn, because playability and balance. Sorry, no free Rapid Fire on your Aura!

Emanation would "pulse" at the start of your turn, affecting anybody in range. Nothing more, nothing less.

And yes, using either of these will make you the prime target for all ranged opponents.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #5
MrTim

Remember, Always On effects are always on. If the effect damages objects, the character is going to be doing constant damage to the ground and surrounding objects, and even something that only affects creatures is going to make social interaction seriously problematic.
MrTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #6
JMason

I've always ruled that any damage that is "area based" (emanating or just a hex of fire or something), that a character takes 1/2 damage if they do not stay in the area for their whole turn (starting or ending outside the area).
Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
Daigoro

I guess there's two ways to go:

1) Neiradalbel's pulse on your turn, though you'd have to decide if that comes at the start or the end of a Move maneuver

2) Calculate what fraction of a second each target is affected, then apply damage proportionally

Method 1 works for playability, 2 for realism.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTim View Post
Remember, Always On effects are always on. If the effect damages objects, the character is going to be doing constant damage to the ground and surrounding objects, and even something that only affects creatures is going to make social interaction seriously problematic.
We are talking about monsters here, or always on in context of "I turn INTO a body of x and have an always on aura, even though thats not my normal form"

Social and practical considerations are not an issue. This is a combat question.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I guess there's two ways to go:

1) Neiradalbel's pulse on your turn, though you'd have to decide if that comes at the start or the end of a Move maneuver.
Actually do don't need to make that choice you can put the attack in at any mid point of the move in a Move and Attack Maneuver.

but your greater point is true, you will have to choice one specific point along your move pass to trigger your pulse.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 PM   #10
MrTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
We are talking about monsters here, or always on in context of "I turn INTO a body of x and have an always on aura, even though thats not my normal form"

Social and practical considerations are not an issue. This is a combat question.
Some of those practical considerations can be combat considerations. As I said, you're affecting objects too unless you're doing fatigue or toxic damage.

Of course, if it's strictly for opposition, the consideration might be, "The monster can destroy the PCs' wagon and slaughter their horses just by walking up to them," so maybe that's a plus
MrTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
area effects, auras