Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-28-2020, 03:42 PM   #21
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Rules you ignore/alter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
  • Increasing the versatility of Side Effect. (B109/P106) Basically, we just use this to turn an Innate Attack into a more-useful version of Affliction. It makes ability-creation much easier and most abilities then follow the same mechanics. Only some abilities require the use of Affliction.
I keep on wanting to use this, but I haven't gotten my mind around it mathematically yet.Its not that I can't, its that I keep forgetting about it and its not a trivial mental switch, at least for me.

Quote:
[*]Allowing Extended Duration on Create. (P92) It’s our opinion that the “creation pool” (P93) is an incredibly poor kludge that just doesn’t work. We allow the addition of the Extended Duration enhancement on Create. While it has potential for abuse, just getting a character with Create past the GM requires extensive work, and the GM has general oversite on the power. And, Extended Duration, Permanent is a pretty huge modifier that counter-balances the need for the creation pool.
I use wealth for create. Its in the book, but no-one seems to notice. That's not a rule that I ignore/alter, but its an optional rule I strongly champion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
I pretty much always extend the ST damage linearly for high values instead of referring to the damage table--so +8 ST is pretty much always +1d thrust and +2d swing, basically, rather than the numbers slowing down and getting closer to each other as ST rises.
Oh, yeah, I use that one when it comes up. I just... forget that its a rule I'm ignoring, and it doesn't come up terribly often

Quote:
I often keep skill points separate from other character points, like the buckets of points pyramid article suggests. It mitigates the 'just take a point in each skill you want, then focus on raising DX/IQ/HT/etc. instead' issue.
That's a valid rule, as you said, and I use it heavily for other things, but its rather transformative of games you use it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
[LIST][*]Guns (Longarms) replaces all of Guns (Musket/Rifle/Shotgun) -- there's no need for those to be separate skills.
I mean, that's an option in a pyramid article, but yeah, that's a good one.

Quote:
[*]Language Talent halves the cost of languages instead of bumping the effective skill level (because even talented people start at Broken facility).[*]Parrying Unarmed Attacks (B376) does half damage, not full damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
Fast-Draw: I use Fast-Draw as a Perk. It doesn't get rolled, it just works.
In situations where it needs a roll, I use the weapon skill.

Recover Energy: I think Recover Energy should be a Perk. It isn't a spell, it's a special attunement to ambient mana. Probably in two levels.
Those just might be worth trying out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Thats more than even we're using in the PbP fight!

I think the biggest alteration we made to last gasp was the alternate movement rules from doug's blog. Those were a big help.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #22
Tinman

I use Pee Kitty's house rule that costs FP is -10% instead of -5%

Also, as a spell casting perk a caster can specialize in "fast-casting" 1 specific missile spell. He can create it as a free action, like a fast-draw. (Obviously only up to what he could have cast as a 1 turn action.)
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #23
Anthony

I find a lot of things work better if the time to turn an advantage on/off is instant (can be increased with extra time) rather than requiring a ready action. This means that power limitations that change an advantage from "harmless to leave active 100% of the time" to "only use when needed" (such as costs fatigue) have their "not always on" fairly priced.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #24
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
MA137 has a random 1 in 6 chance. What I don't like about MoS3 is that you won't have people intentionally targetting vitals (unless discount via Targeted attack technique) since it would be safer to always target torso.
Yes, it is safer to just target Torso this way, which results in faster targeting decisions at the table, while still keeping the drama of the occasional Vitals shot. It also seems truer to the literature -- I'm no marksman or hoplologist, but most references I see to this involve "targeting center-of-mass" and not "aiming for the internal organs".

Quote:
Does this mean MA106 Obstructtion would do a quarter (half of half) of full damage, or would you keep it at half making them tied now?
I would keep it at half. In practice, we've found performing an Evade against a standing opponent is nearly impossible anyway, so nobody ever tries.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #25
VariousRen

My circle of gurps players have universally ignored the -2 to skill when using a large shield if you lack the Shield Training perk. If you planned to use a shield it was an automatic purchase at character creation. The only time it mattered was when a new player didn't know about it, so they had a -2 to skill just because they didn't know the system perfectly yet.

We have also very commonly ruled that you can make an HT roll once per day regardless of activity, and two if you do nothing but bed rest. It makes it easier to keep a traveling adventure going despite minor wounds.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:53 PM   #26
khorboth

We find tracking real-time abilities immersion-breaking so for Luck we estimate game length and give the appropriate number of uses. We know it's more powerful, but we also run dice-light so it kinda balances.

I generally throw a -20% "costs somrthing" modifier on abilities which cost FP or HP in addition to the 5% or 10% per point. This puts a much better gap between free and not-free.

Depending on the game, longevity and unaging are usually reduced cost.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:03 PM   #27
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
Depending on the game, longevity and unaging are usually reduced cost.
I'm a bit fond of "perk: can spend points to buy successes on aging rolls". It costs a fair amount in games where it actually matters, and costs 1 point in a normal game.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:49 PM   #28
SimonAce

If you have professional skill levels, I tend to make "no nuisance rolls" the default for most skills, no perk required.

This speeds up game play IMO.

In some games I also ignore the bonus points of disadvantages and quirks. Instead every one just gets campaign total +45. This encourages people to build to concept and to take what they want to play instead of trying to squeeze out a few extra points to meet some build goal.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:12 AM   #29
coronatiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
We have also very commonly ruled that you can make an HT roll once per day regardless of activity, and two if you do nothing but bed rest. It makes it easier to keep a traveling adventure going despite minor wounds.
Our group allows HT rolls to regain HP regardless of activity as long as health status is "good" (HP at >50%).

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #30
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
The only time it mattered was when a new player didn't know about it, so they had a -2 to skill just because they didn't know the system perfectly yet.
Then this is something that the GM should explain to the new player when he sees that the player is choosing shield.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, fixed, house rules, rules