Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
smartjack

Default New player needing help building mage

Hey guys. I have never played GURPS but will be starting a game really soon. It will be a TL3 typical fantasy setting. I want to make a mage who main focus is body control with some healing. The GM has given us 200pts with a disadvantage limit of -40. Not sure if it matters but I'm using the GCS-4.0.2 to build my character. I need any advice or suggestions. Also we are allowed one piece of equipment worth 10k for free. I would like that to be my staff but not sure what to make it. Thanks in advance.
smartjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
Culture20

Default Re: New player needing help building mage

First question: what type of magic system (Standard, syntactic, powers, alchemy, etc)?
First suggestion: a $10,000 flawless powerstone could be more useful than a $10,000 staff (depending on the magic system; if energy isn't used for spells then powerstones are pointless).
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
smartjack

It is standard magic system. And I was thinking of a powerstone on my staff. My Mage is mischievous and I wanted a carved bone staff shaped like a monkey and having the carved monkey hold the stone. If that makes sense. And looking on the Magic book the closest to 10k powerstone I could get would be a 20cap for 7350
Old 01-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartjack View Post
Also we are allowed one piece of equipment worth 10k for free. I would like that to be my staff but not sure what to make it. Thanks in advance.
If we're talking Enchanted Items get your robe or other outfit enchanted as Armor. Big Powerstones are best acquired as loot from somebody who didn't have enough DR. :)
Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
smartjack

That's a good idea as well. Any advice on a build?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #6
Nereidalbel

Important question: has the GM declared any spells off-limits, or has he told you to use whatever spells you like?
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:46 AM   #7
smartjack

No he hasn't, I'm assuming that the tech spells are off limits but other than that I think anything goes. I know I'm really want to focus on body control south some healing as well.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
Nereidalbel

Well, Magery to whatever limit your GM sets for the campaign, some IQ, and use points left over after skills/spells for Energy Reserve. Body Control isn't going to win every fight for you, even if you use GURPS Death Spells, but, everybody can appreciate the healer.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:04 AM   #9
mlangsdorf

Body Control spells are generally short-ranged, so save some points for a good defense. Staff-12 or Staff-14 is traditional, but smallsword and buckler is also good and gives you better defenses against ranged attacks.

Having a HT of 11-13 is helpful, too. You may take damage at some point, or be subjected to some kind of weird potion or gas attack. And of course, more HT is more FP, though that's not the most efficient way to buy it.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #10
smartjack

Ugh, I didn't realize that they were close range spells. I must have over looked what "regular" meant. That makes things more difficult as I envisioned my character as a back of the lines kind of guy.