Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #601
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Member House Rules

Then again, not being new to the game and having familiarity with the cards might actually speed up Charity, since I don't seem to see this slow down when even only moderately experienced players are at the table.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #602
six's monkey

Welcome. :-)
This particular thread may not be the best place to exchange greetings, but I doubt anyone will give you (or me) grief over it.

My initial advice is to read ten words for every one you post, as a rule of thumb.
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #603
LevelOreErpes

My friends and I have a few-- some of which are there to even out the play while others are to prevent the game from taking too long.

1. Because Elves can only go up levels by assisting other players in combat, we made it a little easier for them to gain levels themselves, so we made it in that for every two monsters an Elf kills in solitude, they go up a level. We keep track of this on the board by putting a coin underneath the player character.

2. After everyone knows what is going on in a combat, the person in combat counts down from 5 to 0 to see if anyone will respond or use any items or curses, to prevent the game from going on for forever.

3. If a player uses the "Lose one small item" curse on another player, the player using the curse gets to choose which item is discarded. If a player kicks down the door and gets the curse, they get to choose the item.

4. Cards can be given to another player via bribing. An example of this is, if there's a person at level 9 and one person has a Wandering Monster card in hand but no monsters, the person can ask someone for a monster card in exchange for a favor, such as an item on the table or to agree not to curse the other player.

I think some are more purely made up while others are practiced by other play groups, particularly number 2.
LevelOreErpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #604
NeosMagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelOreErpes View Post
1. Because Elves can only go up levels by assisting other players in combat, we made it a little easier for them to gain levels themselves, so we made it in that for every two monsters an Elf kills in solitude, they go up a level. We keep track of this on the board by putting a coin underneath the player character.
Everybody gets levels for monsters they kill, thats a base rule, elves are no exception. they get levels for their own kills AND 1 level for any monster they help somebody else kill.
NeosMagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #605
LevelOreErpes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeosMagus View Post
Everybody gets levels for monsters they kill, thats a base rule, elves are no exception. they get levels for their own kills AND 1 level for any monster they help somebody else kill.
I thought so. When I first played this game, for some reason, my friend said Elves were only allowed to gain levels by assisting others, and that if an Elf kills a monster during their turn, they do not gain a level. I never found this in the rules myself so I questioned it, but as the GM, she "had the final say." Now that I know this to be false, I will quote this for truth. Thank you for the reply.
LevelOreErpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #606
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelOreErpes View Post
I thought so. When I first played this game, for some reason, my friend said Elves were only allowed to gain levels by assisting others, and that if an Elf kills a monster during their turn, they do not gain a level. I never found this in the rules myself so I questioned it, but as the GM, she "had the final say." Now that I know this to be false, I will quote this for truth. Thank you for the reply.
The Elf card simply states an exception to the rule that helpers don't get Level rewards, not an exception to the rule that everyone gets Level rewards for the Monsters they kill. And, to be clear: An Elf gets 1 level per Monster he helps kill, no matter how many levels the Monster gives. Of course, he would get 2 levels for directly killing a Monster that gives 2 levels when it's his combat.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #607
Clipper

Your number 2 doesn't really seem like a house rule. That's a pretty good way to handle the reasonable time you must provide before winning a combat.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #608
Dunmer999

I've seen some people post about their custom rules for 2-player games. Since my brother and I barely see anyone else who wants to play Munchkin, we came up with 2-player rules in the simplest way. We both just use two characters that play like they were separate players. Although we can't get past that we know the hands of 2 characters, everything else works well.

I guess it works cuz we're not really Munchkins, and care more about fun from playing by the company-crafted rules. I think SJG's balanced Munchkin, so we don't really use any house rules unless you consider this 2-player, 4 character game a house rule. Playing each character as a different Munchkin trying to win and prevent the other 3 winning works perfectly for us.
Dunmer999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #609
lexavian

Unfortunately, our group has many house rules due to early confusion about munchkin and some people having already played so they thought they knew the rules. Since the main purchaser of 80% of our groups munchkin stuff is adverse to change and is not able to adapt to these rule corrections, I'm having a tough time actually geting gameplay to be similar.
Many of our house rules completely change when certain things can be done such as thief can only thief at the beginning of his turn, races cannot be voluntarily be discarded, classes cannot be added/removed mid-combat.
Additionally, we unfortunately play where classes can be changed from and to the hand (so that the old class goes back into your hand), items can also do so, and trading almost anything is allowed besides powers, races, and classes from the field.
We also have a lot of houserules that would be better asked as a question on this forum but we keep the descisions we make midgame about confusing rulings.
lexavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #610
Phill_DS

In Star Munchkin we class any player who manages to collect 10 attachments to the 'aser', duct tape the low tech persuader to it and kill a monster using only its bonuses to automatically win the game, regardless of what level they are on.
Needless to say it hasn't been done yet. You can imagine how many times the thief sidekick and the 'asers' move around from player to player.
Phill_DS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice