Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-18-2023, 08:53 PM   #31
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
I've been enjoying Thieves a lot, and I'm trying to do some munchkinizing. I have a few questions for the people with the answers.
Darn Dirty Munchkin!

Quote:
Acrobatic Attacker on page 21 says "You must specialize by unarmed combat skill or by specific weapon type."

But then in the stat block it has this: "Acrobatic Strikes! [5]. Acrobatic Strikes! is “wildcard perk” that costs 5 (instead of 1) to allow it to work with all applicable skills – in this case, all attacks."

So it seems like something wasn't edited out? If not, what does the Wildcard Perk apply to?
Nope, that's a goof and errata. ARGH. Send it in please.

Quote:
Heroic Thrower on page 22 says "If you throw using two hands, all attacks start at a basic -2, but the above penalty accrues separately for each hand; e.g., three attacks with one hand at -8, two with the other at -5. One attack with each hand is at -2 instead of -3. Again, these attacks can target different opponents."

Is that ... right? Heroic Thrower essentially lets you add Rapid Strikes to a Dual-Weapon Attack ... all at half price? And basically halved again since they're applied separately for each hand? Just asking for clarification!
No, it's not. You can't add a Rapid Strike to a DWA because it's basically the same thing with a reduced penalty.

Quote:
Heroic Thrower also says "You can use maneuvers or combat options that are normally limited to melee weapon attacks, if they make sense. For example, you could use Feint or Deceptive Attack with thrown weaponry to 'fake out' a target."

So does that mean you could apply Hidden Draw on page 26 with Throwing Art when you use Fast-Draw (Knife)? Could you do that with every Fast-Draw in a Multiple Fast-Draw situation? It says "If you have the relevant Fast-Draw skill at 16+, you don’t have to roll at all!" So if my Fast-Draw (Knife) skill is over 16, does that mean I can draw as many knives as I want?! or should that say "if your effective skill is at 16+ ..."?
Yes, you could. Each knife is at a further penalty... so it's self-limiting and knives don't really do much damage - even with the power-ups I made to MAKE them do more.

Quote:
Finally, the perk Better Part of Valor on page 19 says "With a Move and Attack maneuver, you can move directly backward ..." and "With an All-Out Attack, you can move ...."

Does this mean you have to make either a Move and Attack or an All-Out Attack to use this perk? Can you use it with a regular Attack? Was this an omission?
Correct. Move and Attack or an All-Out. That's it. And like, Committed if you're using those rules.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 11:10 PM   #32
JulianLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
No, it's not. You can't add a Rapid Strike to a DWA because it's basically the same thing with a reduced penalty.
Well, then ... this is like ... -2 for the first attack, then -3 for the next, then -3 for the next.... Cumulative for each attack. But applied separately for each hand.... This is just its own special thing, then?

A special thing that we're not going to call a half-penalty DWA added to a half-penalty Rapid Strike - but with the penalties applied separately to each hand ... and only for Heroic Throwers?

Because this seems like a way to basically get two extra attacks for every 12 CP added to Throwing Art.... Which the munchkins do like....

So if I cranked Throwing Art up to, like, 26, I could get 10 thrown knife attacks at Throwing Art-12 per turn?! (Assuming that I had Ambidexterity and could soak the -10 Fast-Draw penalty for drawing 5 knives with each hand.)

But I guess I'm just munchkinizing out loud here now. DF Bullseye.

Quote:
Correct. Move and Attack or an All-Out. That's it. And like, Committed if you're using those rules.
Cool cool cool. Thanks for the answers!
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 12:44 AM   #33
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Well, then ... this is like ... -2 for the first attack, then -3 for the next, then -3 for the next.... Cumulative for each attack. But applied separately for each hand.... This is just its own special thing, then?
No, it's literally just saying you get access to very rapid strike - baseline DF characters can do ONE rapid strike. Those with Heroic Thrower can do a very rapid strike with a -3 per attack past the first. That's it.

Quote:
A special thing that we're not going to call a half-penalty DWA added to a half-penalty Rapid Strike - but with the penalties applied separately to each hand ... and only for Heroic Throwers?
No. See above. You could do a DWA if you had a weapon in each hand and thus get two attacks for -2 each (-4 halved) or you could throw three or more and get -3 each after the first. As normal, you cannot combined DWA and Rapid Strike.

Quote:
Because this seems like a way to basically get two extra attacks for every 12 CP added to Throwing Art.... Which the munchkins do like....
It would if that's how it worked.

Quote:
So if I cranked Throwing Art up to, like, 26, I could get 10 thrown knife attacks at Throwing Art-12 per turn?! (Assuming that I had Ambidexterity and could soak the -10 Fast-Draw penalty for drawing 5 knives with each hand.)
That's a lot of points spent for one trick. So...yeah.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-19-2023, 07:12 AM   #34
Varyon

Quote:
Nope, that's a goof and errata. ARGH. Send it in please.
From the description I assumed it meant something like being able to do basic punches, elbow strikes, kicks, headbutts, bites, strikes with natural weapons (teeth, claws, Strikers, etc), and so forth with Acrobatics rather than Brawling. Normally, you can just do one with each Perk, such as for the Acrobatic Kicks Perk. Granted, a wildcard to work for all possible attacks with a skill isn't as useful with most weapon skills (many weapons only have one attack mode, and it's rare for them to have more than two that use the same skill), at least not unless you'd normally restrict the Perk to work with a single weapon design (only Heavy Spear, only Longsword, etc).
Old 05-19-2023, 07:46 AM   #35
Christopher R. Rice

It's basically all strikes with a single skill (Acrobatics).

Become a Patron!
Old 05-21-2023, 09:33 AM   #36
Donny Brook

Quote:
Yassss. I've been waiting to see this for over a year now. So happy it's out.
Um ... didn't you write it?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 04:43 PM   #37
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Um ... didn't you write it?
Authors are keen for their work to be published and recieved?
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 04:49 PM   #38
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Authors are keen for their work to be published and recieved?
I just figured writers would know when their books are due for release.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:58 PM   #39
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I just figured writers would know when their books are due for release.
Um nope.
Even if that were true its still exciting to finally see it in print.
Freelance writers generally know as much as the public do, or at least have the same sources (Kromm's Journal and GURPS News) for knowing what is in the editorial queue and the rough order.
We might know a bit earlier if we see the preview PDF for our review before were publicly announced as next in line. However that often does not happen. Even if you think you are next in line things can happen and you get bumped.
So most of us likely have less than 30 days notice and even then we cant be positive.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:00 PM   #40
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Um nope.
Even if that were true its still exciting to finally see it in print.
Freelance writers generally know as much as the public do, or at least have the same sources (Kromm's Journal and GURPS News) for knowing what is in the editorial queue and the rough order.
We might know a bit earlier if we see the preview PDF for our review before were publicly announced as next in line. However that often does not happen. Even if you think you are next in line things can happen and you get bumped.
So most of us likely have less than 30 days notice and even then we cant be positive.
Hm. Quite a peculiar industry, at least compared to my experiences.

Tags
bandit, burglar, cutthroat, denizens, mastermind, spell-thief, thieves