Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-27-2021, 09:49 PM   #11
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Dazzle gems

"Is the DX loss going to hurt the foes more than the allies?" Let me elaborate on this statement I made earlier. Here are a couple examples.

Say your party has high DX fighters. DX 14 for example. And you are up against low DX types, say DX 9. Dazzle will hurt them more than your allies since allies at DX 11 should be able to easily handle foes at DX 6.

Or, say your foes are all archers and your allies have no missile weapons. You folks won't be using their DX since they will just be running to close the distance to the archers for a couple turns.

Additionally, you may say it would scare off normal animals like bears and wolves and maybe even dinosaur types. Animals are away that they are partially blinded but they are not aware that your folks are as well. So, a large wolf pack that should easily overwhelm the team should set running by Dazzle. If they attempt to return after a few turns after it wears off should take a reaction roll or a GM call.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:41 PM   #12
DeadParrot

If we assume that Dazzle messes with the optic nerves instead of the eyeballs, then the RAW makes more sense. If a critter never had working optic nerves, then Dazzle doesn't work on them. Someone born blind at birth might have normal looking eyes but nothing connecting them to the brain so Dazzle doesn't work. Surprise! A creature born normally sighted and rendered blind through eye damage might still have functional optic nerves and be Dazzled despite being blind. Closing your eyes or being around the corner won't prevent the psychic energy from getting to your optic nerves.

OTOH, that special metal helmet or wall made of lead/crystal might block the psychic energy. Or make it worse.

You cast the spell or toss the crystal and takes your chances.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #13
Rolando

I would go further and say that as it is "psychic" it affect anything that can see and have a mind, no need for nerves or even a brain.

If a golem, undead, magical construct or creature have some kind of "mind", even a programmed one (like a golem) and it perceives light or see in some way it can be affected by the dazzle.

Slimes and goo don't have a mind, so they are cool, zombies also don't have a mind, but a ghost or wraith may have one. It would be a GM call as to what have and what don't have a mind. Personally I will base it in the amount of programming you can give to a construct or the kind of decision making a creature have.

Some creatures may use other senses, instead of sight, to locate pray or enemies, so maybe these will get reduced effect or no effect at all. And along this line I believe there can be other "dazzle" gems that affect hearing, smell/taste and touch instead of sight.

It's a magical world after all.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:13 AM   #14
JustAnotherJarhead

The spell specifically does not say: a blinding flash of light.

I always perceived this as an effect beyond just an optical flash, more of a neuro shock to the brain, closer to a concussion that just a bright flash.

So a "corner" in a dungeon would not save anyone.

Nerfing spells doesn't help the game in any way.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:38 PM   #15
Steve Plambeck

And Ocular Migraines absolutely lower your DX -- believe me. The cause is nerve cells temporarily misfiring in the brain. I don't imagine a lower IQ or even blindness makes you any less susceptible. I've always thought of Dazzle as a spell-induced Ocular Migraine.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:26 PM   #16
Axly Suregrip

Also, Dazzle affects everything the affected targets do (harder to hit all targets & harder to jump chasms & harder to quick draw a weapon & ...). Blur only makes it harder for the foes to hit the one blurred target.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:36 AM   #17
Nils_Lindeberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
We all agree that closing your eyes or turning your back shouldn't work, because it's psychic...
I don't. Agree that is.

Eyes are mentioned more than once so I would go with there being actual physical blinding light that probably also penetrates to nearby dimensions. The Psychic part, could just as easily mean that the light comes from all around. Not one specific point of origin with psychic waves. More like standing inside a cloud of gas when someone sets it all on fire at once, instead of a blast explosion with an origin point. So I would definitely give at least a very good save to people shutting their eyes, people knowing exactly when it will go off, and people taking other precautions.

Walls and line of sight is another matter, that I haven't really thought of. But it is far from clear from the spell description.

I would also want to know what happens to the wizard that stands outside the area of effect but is watching through the eyes of his illusion...
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:31 PM   #18
Senturian

IMO:
Dazzle would have to be psychic as ITL states:
"Nothing in the physical plane, except a Dazzle spell
or a Word of Command, can affect an astral body"
Senturian is offline   Reply With Quote