Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-30-2021, 02:44 PM   #11
phiwum

Default Re: TFT Actual plays

Thanks, guys.

See, I can roleplay arrogant, obnoxious, pretentious, craven, all sorts of things. In fact, each of these is almost second nature to me. I'm okay with these traits.

Charm is somehow hard to fake. I can more easily fake sincerity than charm. Especially when the character has some or all of those negative traits listed above. Cult leaders, say, tend to be arrogant, combative, thin-skinned, vengeful and so on, but they also are somehow charming. People genuinely like them.

It's when I'm playing an NPC like that that I want to say, "By the way, this person is surprisingly likeable. In fact, you feel oddly privileged that she is speaking to you." Because honestly, a lot of real-world despicable people (and not just cult leaders) inspire remarkable devotion and admiration in others and if I could do that, I wouldn't be playing all these games of pretend. I would be tending my flock or, more to the point, encouraging my flock to attend to me.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:32 PM   #12
Skarg

Yes, I think that's a good way to handle charms/talents/qualities that you don't have yourself: to tell others about how they come across.

"He gives you a reassuring smile, and seems trustworthy."

"Gobnar the Great seems like a swell fellow, now that you've met him in person."
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:26 AM   #13
larsdangly

I don't really do the whole table-thespian thing as a GM; I'm sure it is the right move for some people, but it just isn't something that I feel I need to do to keep the mood of the game rolling. So, I nearly always explain NPC actions and statements in the third person. That creates enough distance that I don't feel uncomfortable representing any sort of affect, attitude, etc.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #14
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I don't really do the whole table-thespian thing as a GM; I'm sure it is the right move for some people, but it just isn't something that I feel I need to do to keep the mood of the game rolling. So, I nearly always explain NPC actions and statements in the third person. That creates enough distance that I don't feel uncomfortable representing any sort of affect, attitude, etc.
Do you find that the players then respond in kind - relating their characters actions in the third person?

I suppose I mix and match between exposition, third-person and (bad) acting as called for. I think I like the acting bits because they are highly engaging, first person, chaotic and usually either very funny or lead to some major plot twists. Somehow that seems less likely if we are just saying what we are all doing at arms length?
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:47 AM   #15
larsdangly

Yes, I would say my players mostly articulate their character's statements and actions using third person language, though anything that would end up in quotation marks might get said in a funny voice!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #16
ParadoxGames

If you join the TFT Discord group (link in my signature), you can visit channels where games have been played, and you can read archives of games that have been played out in real time, and be a spectator to a campaign that's being played as we speak. I also have annotated all my games, but those are private for now.