Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-08-2021, 01:22 AM   #1
Count_Zer0

Default Importing mechanics from other games for solo play possible?

Hi! I live in a country where tabletop rpg's aren't really a common hobby and it is a small town so it's even harder to find players. I have therefore been playing solo games for quite a while. Got interested in gurps and found it's flexibility really charming. is it however, possible to import mechanics from other solo games as to make gurps more viable towards solo play??? I looked at possibly importing some Ironsworn mechanics like momentum and the action roll in to the game. This seems fairly doable imo.
Count_Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:47 AM   #2
Aldric

Default Re: Importing mechanics from other games for solo play possible?

While I'm not familiar with the rules you're referring to, I don't think there are any issues with adding what are essentially house rules to GURPS.
However, keep in mind that GURPS already has a lot (and I really mean A LOT) of optional rules already, starting from the basic manual itself, so you may not have to do any conversion yourself, and just use what's available.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:52 AM   #3
Opellulo

I'm really curious to see how this project evolves.

GURPS is a really "malleable" system since it only has one rule (roll 3d6 under the skill level) and a lot of "modules" you can then attach according to what you are interested to. For what I remember in the 3ed there was a solo introductory adventure (Dai's big score or something like that) so on a pure mechanical side it should be really easy to do...

...on a narrative/fun side on the other hand.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:40 AM   #4
jacobmuller

The Conan scenarios for 3rd edition GURPS were solo. I am guilty of never having played them but solo GURPS exists. I'm gonna go look up the system you named myself now - TQ
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:58 AM   #5
tzunder

Yes. I think the rules from Ironsworn would work well, as would the Mythic GM Emulator rules.

https://www.wordmillgames.com/

I also play T&T solos with other rpg systems.. I just substitute in a reasonable skill test and monster stats and follow the paragraphs as written.
tzunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:05 AM   #6
ravenfish

In case you are not aware of it, https://thecollaborativegamer.wordpress.com/ contains systems for randomly generating GURPS adventures (albeit with a focus on fantasy and dungeon crawling in particular). It is still a work in progress, but I have used it and derived considerable enjoyment.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:07 AM   #7
Cpt_Clyde

GURPS Is absolutely good for this! This is my main method of play as well these days. I have made procedures to play solo and generate a hexcrawl and dungeon crawl world as i go. I've made a few videos demonstrating as well if interested.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...1C1qiJTXTp4KL1
My procedures are a work in progress and being play tested and updated constantly. Take what you like, modify the rest.
Cpt_Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:37 AM   #8
Count_Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Clyde View Post
GURPS Is absolutely good for this! This is my main method of play as well these days. I have made procedures to play solo and generate a hexcrawl and dungeon crawl world as i go. I've made a few videos demonstrating as well if interested.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...1C1qiJTXTp4KL1
My procedures are a work in progress and being play tested and updated constantly. Take what you like, modify the rest.

this looks really interesting!

I am using a combination of a homebrew Mythic system without the Chaos ranks, Ironsworn's momentum rules with some Gurps modifications and my own random tables at the moment.
Things are working fairly well, especially for solo play. However, I fear this mechanic may be something I need to remove if I want to do a game with more than 1 character in solo play, so this will need some tinkering to pull off properly.
Maybe introduce group momentum??? Punishment for players who are going against the group will and are not communicating clearly or making good decisions.
just a few ideas.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:45 AM   #9
Count_Zer0

another grand idea: remove the bonus you get from a GM when you complete the quest of good roleplaying, or any punishments for bad roleplaying.
Add a bonus towards how well you completed your goal instead.
Not necessarily quest completion, but goal completion of your character.
Example:
how well did you fare? did you save the village or town without any citizens being hurt, you gain 5 cp. did someone get injured, or several people get injured?
you gain 4 cp. did someone get killed? you get 3 cp. did more than one person get killed but you're still seen as a hero amidst the sacrifice? you get 2 cp. maybe you completed the quest but the villagers don't like you because you did it in a wrong way, you get 1 cp. if you end up in a negative outcome where the villagers want you gone or someone is angry at you at the point of wanting to kill you, or other negatives such as more than one villager suffers loss, you get -2 cp etc. etc.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:46 PM   #10
Inky

Silly question, but are you by any chance the Count0 I used to know on the RuneSword forum? Welcome to the forum, anyway.