Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #121
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [OOC] The Starship 'Fritjof Nansen'

How about?
Tomiko's partner of 31 years is Caroline Lowell and they have a daughter, Anastasia Eichberger (29) by ovum-ovum fusion. Caroline is Alastair's niece and something of the family black sheep having gone into academia rather than a Navy career, she's currently teaching Philosophy at the Regulus Academy. Anastasia is currently serving as a Navy Midshipman.
EDIT:
Tomiko herself taught at the Academy (while on reserve service in the Navy) from 514-529.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-26-2013 at 06:03 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #122
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Teeth, Thylacoleo carnifex teeth.
I was thinking of Quinkana fortirostrum.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #123
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
How about?
Tomiko's partner of 31 years is Caroline Lowell and they have a daughter, Anastasia Eichberger (29) by ovum-ovum fusion.
Only one? Auntie Akiko would like two, or better, four. "It would make your grandmother so happy!" "Since you're taking leave anyway, you might as well have twins. Both of you." "You can use an exowomb…. For another pair of twins." "I know it doesn't seem likely now, but trust me! In thirty years we are going to need lots of people."

Quote:
Anastasia is currently serving as a Navy Midshipman.
At 29? It is usual to go to the Naval Academy at 18 for three years plus a year of junior exchange. Then you go into a ship as a mid at 22, and the specified service for promotion to Acting Sub-lieutenant is usually done in 18 months. "Midshipman" is a butter-bar rank in this system. Of course, it's possible that someone found something else to fill in five years of her time.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 08-26-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #124
Adina

Quote:
How about?
Tomiko's partner of 31 years is Caroline Lowell and they have a daughter, Anastasia Eichberger (29) by ovum-ovum fusion. Caroline is Alastair's niece and something of the family black sheep having gone into academia rather than a Navy career, she's currently teaching Philosophy at the Regulus Academy. Anastasia is currently serving as a Navy Midshipman.
EDIT:
Tomiko herself taught at the Academy (while on reserve service in the Navy) from 514-529.
I like this, however; this makes it possibly a distant relationship (partner of a niece he doesn't get to see much of) begun as adults. It can still be a close relationship of course.

I was thinking of him having been close with her parents. So he would have known her since she was a little girl. And she could tell stories of the captain as a daring young lieutenant.

I think either would work for Alastair, so go with whichever works best for Tomiko.
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #125
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Only one? Auntie Akiko would like two, or better, four. "It would make your grandmother so happy!" "Since you're taking leave anyway, you might as well have twins. Both of you." "You can use an exowomb…. For another pair of twins." "I know it doesn't seem likely now, but trust me! In thirty years we are going to need lots of people."
Maybe Caroline is currently pregnant? I originally intended two children but then got all weird about whether they'd want a son and how to make an X into in a Y chromosome and just gave up. :)

Quote:
At 29? It is usual to go to the Naval Academy at 18 for three years plus a year of junior exchange. Then you go into a ship as a mid at 22, and the specified service for promotion to Acting Sub-lieutenant is usually done in 18 months. "Midshipman" is a butter-bar rank in this system. Of course, it's possible that someone found something else to fill in five years of her time.
The long lifespans (and long careers) in this setting take some getting used to. I was assuming later entrance into service based on that but she could be a Sub-lieutenant or Lieutenant just as easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell View Post
I like this, however; this makes it possibly a distant relationship (partner of a niece he doesn't get to see much of) begun as adults. It can still be a close relationship of course.

I was thinking of him having been close with her parents. So he would have known her since she was a little girl. And she could tell stories of the captain as a daring young lieutenant.
There's no reason she can't both be married to his niece and him be a family friend since she was a girl. Her parents died from enemy action when she was six, though. I didn't want to make the relationship too close, since if it was it would be less likely that we'd be on the same ship, right?

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-26-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #126
Adina

Quote:
No, horns should be horns. Water-buffalo
Triceratops.
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #127
Agemegos

In a hundred years' time the kind of armchair historians who make TV specials identifying a rice-farmer in NSW as the rightful Plantagenet king of England are going to say this sort of thing:
The Eichberger Foundation was a charitable foundation incorporated under the laws of Mayflower, so when Mayflower ceased to exist and its sovereignty became null, naturally the Foundation ceased to be. Also, all the trustees died then so the trust became defunct. Legally, all the property including Eichberger Spaceways, Universal Import/Export, and the ships and facilities of the Space Patrol reverted to the estate of Tomitomo Eichberger, of which Lara Eichberger was the sole heir. And when she set up the "renewed" Foundation she never actually deeded over the property. Technically, she was funding it out of personal funds. When she died her children were already dead, and her sole heiress was her grand-daughter Tomiko. From the death of Lara Eichberger until her own death, Tomiko Eichberger was the rightful and legal sole owner of the entire Empire. And since her death her children have been co-heirs-general in the entire thing.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 08-26-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #128
Agemegos

Quote:
Maybe Caroline is currently pregnant? I originally intended two children but then got all weird about whether they'd want a son and how to make an X into in a Y chromosome and just gave up. :)
They could get old Tomitomo's Y-chromosome out of the archives. Tomiko is his heir-at-law at this point and has disposition of his effects.

Quote:
There's no reason she can't be married to his niece and him be family friend since she was a girl. Her parents died from enemy action when she was six, though. I didn't want to make the relationship too close, since if it was it would be less likely that we'd be on the same ship, right?
Depends what sort of "looking after" Auntie Akiko thinks she needs. Or is it Uncle Harmon now?

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 08-26-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #129
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell View Post
Triceratops.
You're older than I am!

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #130
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
They could get old Tomitomo's Y-chromosome out of the archives. Tomiko is his heir at this point.
True, and both creepy and sensible. Done. I've also promoted Anastasia.
Quote:
Depends what sort of "looking after" Auntie Akiko thinks she needs. Or is it Uncle Harmon now?
Fair enough, and it neatly hooks-and-grommets our Captain to his Chief Engineer.

Tags
flat black, planetary romance, sci-fi, space opera, ultra-tech