Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #41
Rick_Smith

Default Do you have restricted options after falling from damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
...I don't see that the rules make a distinction that way between the cause of falling down. Look at AM page 5 - even if you drop voluntarily, you can't do anything else until next turn.
Hi Skarg,
Thanks for the heads up. I have played it our way for so long, that I'm not sure what was written in which rule book. (They blended together.)

As for what is said in your quote above.. two points:

-- There are ways of falling that don't use up your option (see the Trip spell for example). So you could hit the ground then disbelieve or cast a spell that turn if you hadn't taken your option yet.

-- Reactions to Injury on page 18 of AM, says that you can do nothing NEXT turn except stand or stay down. (Emphasis added.) So saying that if you drop prone this turn, then you can't do anything this turn, does not address my point about how you fell.

For example: You drop prone this turn. (You are not allowed to do anything else this turn.) But next turn you could stay on the ground and cast a spell.

But if you were hit this turn and took 8 points of damage, you fall (losing your action if you had not taken it). Next turn, you are not allowed to cast a spell. You can only stand up or stay down. (Also on page 18.)

So you do need to keep track of if you fell from damage in the old TFT rules.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 08-11-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #42
Skarg

Default Re: Do you have restricted options after falling from damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
As for what is said in your quote.. two points:

-- There are ways of falling that don't use up your option (see the Trip spell for example). So you could hit the ground then disbelieve or cast a spell that turn if you hadn't taken your option yet.
I don't see why you would think that. Do you see it written somewhere?

Practically every place I know of that says anything in detail about what falling down means mentions not being able to do anything else that turn, even when intentionally dropping (which seems clearly would be no more disruptive than falling accidentally or being tripped, no?). If Trip (or anything else) were an exception to what falling down means, I'd think it would/should mention that.

Quote:
-- Reactions to Injury on page 18 of AM, says that you can do nothing NEXT turn except stand or stay down. (Emphasis added.) So saying that if you drop prone this turn, then you can't do anything this turn, does not address my point about how you fell.
Maybe not explicitly. But don't the Advanced Melee rules describing how standing up works address that? i.e. it's an option allowing you to move 1 hex during movement, and then stand as your action when your adjDX comes up. Or, on that next turn, you could take another option that isn't standing up (cast a spell, crawl, HTH, crossbow antics, etc).

Quote:
For example: You drop prone this turn. (You are not allowed to do anything else this turn.) But next turn you could stay on the ground and cast a spell.
Yes.

Quote:
But if you were hit this turn and took 8 points of damage, you fall (losing your action if you had not taken it). Next turn, you are not allowed to cast a spell. You can only stand up or stay down. (Also on page 18.)
Oh, well it does say that, though I tended to take that as hyperbolic explanation (and/or simple wording left over from Basic Melee) rather than that you couldn't even stay down and crawl, or do other creative groveling activities. Even if it is meant literally, it's about the next turn, not the same turn you fell. So I don't see that meaning that if you fall down not from a Trip spell (or UC throw, or any rule that forgot to mention you can't do anything on a turn you fall) then you can still take other actions the turn you fall.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #43
Anomylous

Default Re: Phasing for falling down/standing up

Quote:
Hi Anomylous,
Do people who fall get the choice of which hex they can lurch into or do you mean literally, backwards in to their rear hex?

I kinda like your suggestion of 'staggering', and I'm thinking of trying it out.

Warm regards, Rick.
Thanks! I've swiped enough of your ideas over the years, glad if I can reciprocate :)

In terms of which hex they fall into, I hadn't thought that hard about it. My first instinct is to let the falling figure choose.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote