Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
Anaxim

Default [Equipment] Daily uses Spell Stone as equipment

I was looking through Magic and noticed the distinct lack of enchanting accessories or other pieces of equipment as a further separated form of spell casting.
Assume for a moment the item enchantment of Fireball. Staff or Wand with so and so particulars, only usable by Mages.
I'm bothered by the fact I cannot quite properly create a Ring of Fireballs that allows to shoot a Fireball a day at a preset form (akin to Spell Stone).
What I'm asking is how should I go about pricing and dealing with such items.

Any contextual help is appreciated. Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.
Anaxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Equipment] Daily uses Spell Stone as equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxim View Post
I'm bothered by the fact I cannot quite properly create a Ring of Fireballs that allows to shoot a Fireball a day at a preset form (akin to Spell Stone).
What I'm asking is how should I go about pricing and dealing with such items.
The form of magic items is optional. A generic "Ring" of Fireballs would cost the same as a generic "Wand" of Fireballs.

You don't want a Spellstone because that's only usable _once_. A Spellstone stores a spell and is then destroyed when the spell is released rather than casts a spell repeatedly.

An arbitrary once a day limit but does not cost the user energy can be manged with an Exclusive Powerstone but you'll only get 3D out of it normal mana.

Your other option is to abandon the Enchantment system entirely and build the thing you want as a Gadget costing cp.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
Anaxim

Both of those are not what I'm looking for. Spell Stone is effectively nearest to what I want: It triggers without paying heed to the user's abilities. A "Ring of Fireballs" that is like a wand is not what I want.
I'm looking for a ring that will activate for anyone, Magery or not, and cast a precise spell. An enchanted item that provides the spell can still fizzle and an exclusive powerstone is not is something I am both unfamiliar with and sure that is not what I need.
Namely, I want to enchant something you can equip with limited use spell casting.

EDIT: Checked what Exclusive Powerstones do. They actually do fit the bill to a degree. I think I will add Spell Stone's cast, in part at the least, as it casts the spells stored within directly, without a fizzle chance or some such.

Last edited by Anaxim; 06-04-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
EDIT: Checked what Exclusive Powerstones do. They actually do fit the bill to a degree. I think I will add Spell Stone's cast, in part at the least, as it casts the spells stored within directly, without a fizzle chance or some such.
Change the rules how you want but don't use the costs for Spellstone as a base. That's an expendable, one shot item. A once per day item would cost far more.

Wands don't depend on the user's abilities anyway. The spell in the wand is cast using the Items' Power as its' "skill" rather than any skill of the user.

Part for your problem seems to be that you want an item that activates without a roll. Spellstones only seem to do this since the roll in question was made when the spell was stored.

You can change all items if you want so that they don't require spell rolls as long as they aren't resisted spells. Missile spells are one of the few cases where I don't think they ever get into contests with other spells.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Anaraxes

An exclusive Powerstone is exactly what you want for a D&D-style "X per day" item.

You could just handwave away the Magery requirement. To be strictly RAW, you could have the ring grant the advantage with gadget limitations, plus perhaps "One Spell Only (-80%)". That drags in a CP cost.

Assign the item a high skill, and the chance to fail a roll is negligible, only crit fails. If you really want no roll at all - heck, just ignore it. There's also Cosmic (No Die Roll Required), though that's not exactly a skill enhancement, and we're back to items with CP costs again.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Anaxim

Changing all of them to not requiring rolls (with some exceptions, yes) sounds a bit deviant.
The precise set up I want is: No roll, limited uses per day (which could be an underpowered Exclusive, if I insist) and no need for Magery. This is essentially a plug-and-cast item.

EDIT: Just noticed Anaraxes' post. I figured Exclusive is the way to go, although it charges gradually. But more handwaving, really. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
The precise set up I want is: No roll, limited uses per day (which could be an underpowered Exclusive, if I insist) and no need for Magery. This is essentially a plug-and-cast item.
It sounds actually a lot more like a Charged scroll than it does a wand or a powerstone.

For what it's worth, Supers suggests that "Consumable" equipment that "refills" every adventure (you always start the adventure with a silver arrow and 10 fine arrows, or you always start with two spare magazines of bullets for your signature gear gun) can be bought as signature gear worth 5x the base cost.

The idea might give you a place to start for adjusting the cost of a "spellstone" or "charged scroll" or whatever that is reusable on a restricted schedule - 5x the enchanting cost for usable "once an adventure"?

Charged scrolls are in DF 4 and DF 8, by the way, as are "Universal" scrolls that don't require Power Investiture or Magery to use. Scrolls don't require rolls to cast from, Universal scrolls don't need prerequisites to use, and Charged Scrolls come with the FP to use them. SOunds like the basis of your object.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
Anaxim

That does sound similar. I'll look into those. Thank you.

Tags
consumable gear, signature gear