Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-27-2021, 07:50 PM   #1
pzmcgwire

Default Where are things on Cidri? Elynthia, Red Plains, and the Land Beyond the Mountains

So from Ardonirane, we know the Duchy of Kel is to the northeast and is the closest part of Southern Elyntiha to the Red Plains.

Where was it stated where the Land Beyond the Mountains (Darok, Dihad, etc.) was in relation to Elynthia?

Does anyone know the provenance of this partial Cidri map which shows Elyntia?

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kMm0_HxG5...+Chart_510.jpg

This is from: https://chroniclesofcidri.blogspot.com/p/cidri.html, which reproduces the original Cidri essay from the first ITL.

Last edited by pzmcgwire; 06-27-2021 at 08:31 PM.
pzmcgwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:58 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Where are things on Cidri? Elynthia, Red Plains, and the Land Beyond the Mountain

I've pinned down one point on the southwest corner of the continent on which Elynthia sits in Adventures 2.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
larsdangly

Default Re: Where are things on Cidri? Elynthia, Red Plains, and the Land Beyond the Mountain

I have to admit that, despite the huge amount of local to regional scale material I have developed over the years for my Cidri campaign, I have a very loose set of thoughts about what it would all look like at a bigger scale. ca. 1980 I set out to create such a multi-continent map of my version of Cidri but sort of lost steam. Perhaps because it mostly doesn't come up in play. Maybe my players are unusual, but I can't recall a time when they asked me how they would get somewhere far, far away.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
Skarg

My original TFT campaign expanded far around the Dran map in all directions, and one of the main goals of play for several of my players was to explore the world and find out where things were, collect maps and so on, during play. Maps were pretty much the favorite type of loot. Since they were never perfect and sometimes revealed unknown things, even maps of the same places were interesting, to possibly reveal new details or errors on other maps.

And I've played and seen several quite different versions of what's in and around Dran and Elyntia since then. Few of which are compatible with each other.

Finding out what else is beyond the PCs' starting knowledge therefore strikes me as something to discover in play, rather than something to establish and learn outside play.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:23 PM   #5
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post

And I've played and seen several quite different versions of what's in and around Dran and Elyntia since then. Few of which are compatible with each other.
If they overlap but are incompatible, they must be on an alternate Cidri, which may allow for Gate Crossing.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #6
Skarg

Yes, that's one of the reasons I tend to think Cidri may mainly consist of many relatively Earth-sized planets linked by gates.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #7
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Yes, that's one of the reasons I tend to think Cidri may mainly consist of many relatively Earth-sized planets linked by gates.
If they all are alternative Earths with the same sky, it could make navigation by the stars ... interesting. And if natural gates can be found along routes, having a guide might be necessary to avoid accidentally taking a gate to an unintended destination.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:26 PM   #8
Steve Plambeck

There's a quest in there. Finding your way back to your true "home" world among so many similar possibilities. Roger Zelazny already used the idea though :)
Old 06-30-2021, 08:18 PM   #9
hcobb

Is the number of worlds that make up Cidri finite or constant?
Old 07-25-2021, 06:50 AM   #10
JustAnotherJarhead

The whole "multiple Cidri" concept brings into question a lot of things, for starters Nautical navigation via stars.

I like a simpler concept that Cidri is just huge, so huge that Gates aren't just a thing, but a required thing in a technology of wheeled carts and wind powered vessels.

Keeping the stars real and constant, seems fairly important to consistent adventuring.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote