Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2021, 10:41 AM   #41
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: GURPS 2021 PDF Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post

There's a LOT of setup before it even happens [...] Then there's the Backerkit phase
The astute reader will note that these parts – the Hell of Setup and the Hell of Fulfillment – are two separate hells that fall to either side of the Hell of Hype, which is the one I was talking about. Those two hells are a huge part of the total workload but are also usually easier to grasp for people who've never worked with Kickstarter: The need to create products and a campaign, and eventually fulfill orders, is usually apparent, because to some extent it's a variation on the theme of all product sales. Having to hand-hold the campaign almost hourly tends to escape notice, though.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #42
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The astute reader will note that these parts – the Hell of Setup and the Hell of Fulfillment – are two separate hells that fall to either side of the Hell of Hype, which is the one I was talking about.
To paraphrase the great Eddie Lee, Kickstarter has a lot of hells.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:23 AM   #43
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post

To paraphrase the great Eddie Lee, Kickstarter has a lot of hells.
You could put "Hell of" in front of any step from first query to final delivery (and even afterward, like the Hell of Errata) and find takers, I feel. Making games is fun because it's often creative work, but most of the parts that aren't creative work aren't fun.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #44
tbone

Quote:
Contracting, editing, production, and reviews were all more much streamlined...
Where do PDF Challenge submissions come from? Are they drawn from a submissions slush pile (leftovers from the Vol 3 run of Pyramid, new book submissions, etc.), with a decision made to use them for PDF Challenge? Or are they in response to calls specifically for PDF Challenge submissions?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:48 AM   #45
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post

Where do PDF Challenge submissions come from? Are they drawn from a submissions slush pile (leftovers from the Vol 3 run of Pyramid, new book submissions, etc.), with a decision made to use them for PDF Challenge? Or are they in response to calls specifically for PDF Challenge submissions?
We look at currently active writers who aren't so active that they have no free time, and we ask them if they have any ideas they think they could fit into a supplement that runs to 11 pages with an ad instead of an index. We want these created specifically for the campaign, so that:
  1. The writers are, in fact, active – so recently that we can interview them and have them talk up the campaign.

2. The supplements are written as recently as possible, meaning they have the benefit of, can name-drop, and take into account the latest "regular season" supplements.

3. We can honestly say that things were created specifically for the campaign! Because "12 random items that were languishing in the slush pile" isn't as cool.
We usually have more proposals that slots, and pick the ones that are a combination of "goes with a well-liked series" and "will be relatively quick edit," making exceptions for star writers whose names alone can sell things, even if they're niche things and even if the edit will be tricky.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #46
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
The astute reader will note that these parts – the Hell of Setup and the Hell of Fulfillment – are two separate hells that fall to either side of the Hell of Hype, which is the one I was talking about. Those two hells are a huge part of the total workload but are also usually easier to grasp for people who've never worked with Kickstarter: The need to create products and a campaign, and eventually fulfill orders, is usually apparent, because to some extent it's a variation on the theme of all product sales. Having to hand-hold the campaign almost hourly tends to escape notice, though.
True enough. I enjoy both the creative and the "talking about gaming" part, but it's still a big part of the time.

Plus there's always the stress of watching the dollar/backer count rise, not rise, or "rise but not really what you thought," which is where my last project wound up.

That is surprisingly draining.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:12 AM   #47
Anaraxes

Quote:
Kickstarter isn't "fire and forget" if you want it to succeed... you have to update the campaign page when stretch goals unlock, write and post updates, read and respond to comments... expand the FAQ... publicize like crazy (interviews, social-media sharing, blog posts, etc.), and scramble to introduce targeted add-ons, reward levels, stretch goals, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Making the throw of the dice to figure out where to fund, how much to expect, and if you stand a chance at being profitable are entirely stressful.
So when can we expect the release of GURPS Social Engineering: Kickstarting so we have some rules for this kind of event? Or is that one of the stretch goals?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:36 AM   #48
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post

So when can we expect the release of GURPS Social Engineering: Kickstarting so we have some rules for this kind of event? Or is that one of the stretch goals?
A GURPS Social Engineering volume on crowdsourcing, crowdfunding, social media, social journalism, influencers, membership platforms, livestreams, online auctions, online dating, and other 21st-century concepts that blur the line between moneymaking and social networking would be pretty cool. Maybe toss in cryptocurrencies and digital payment systems to round it out. It would really have to be written by somebody who does this sort of thing for a living . . . because I know people who do that (but don't play RPGs), and they say that most people are at the peak of "Mount Stupid" on the Dunning-Kruger graph when it comes to this stuff. In fact, it's off those people that the most money is to be made.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #49
nbowerbank

From a quick search on Warehouse 23, it doesn't appear that any of the 2020 PDF challenge content is available for sale. Does that mean the only way to get these PDFs is to back the Kickstarter?
nbowerbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #50
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbowerbank View Post
From a quick search on Warehouse 23, it doesn't appear that any of the 2020 PDF challenge content is available for sale. Does that mean the only way to get these PDFs is to back the Kickstarter?
They are currently not available. Those PDFs will be available as a part of the upcoming Kickstarter campaign.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote