Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Megahex Dry-Erase Boards Survey

"We are probably going to create a set of 10.5” x 18” dry-erase boards, folded in the middle, so you can draw scenario maps on them and then re-use them. Of course, they will be printed with the megahex pattern, and the size was picked to geomorph so you can cover a whole table with them if you’re of a mind. We anticipate selling these in packs of 4, direct to gamers only. Price will depend on some decisions that you get to help us make!"

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GFPRC2H
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: Megahex Dry-Erase Boards Survey

I know it is probably out-of-scope for this initial proposal, but transparent megahexes would be a more valuable option for me than blank ones.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
hcobb

If these are die cut please follow the same pattern as the current megahexes:

Blank side: Megahexes with a clockwise twist.

Dungeon floor cracks side: No megahexes marked.

Megahexes don't geomorph when flipped example
Old 03-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
larsdangly

Thanks for doing this; I play with table top MH tiles all the time and so I'm familiar with the strengths and limitations of the materials we have in hand. I gave enthusiastic 'thumbs up' to all options and would spend money on all of the listed options. Not just because I'm a fan boy but because I know I would make use of all those options at the table.

Unfortunately, my votes didn't let me express relative emphasis, so I'll add it here: I think the most important thing is that these mats should have edges (and thicknesses) that let you freely tesselate them with each other and with the MH tiles. I love the rubber mats you've already produced, but the 'limestone caves' are the only ones that have the potential for this sort of free tessellation (and even these are compromised in this way because the physical boundary of the mat doesn't have the hexagonal shape).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
If these are die cut please follow the same pattern as the current megahexes:

Blank side: Megahexes with a clockwise twist.

Dungeon floor cracks side: No megahexes marked.

Megahexes don't geomorph when flipped example
There is some sort of deep geometrical problem with going from 'labyrinth scale' mapping to 'melee combat scale' maps; i.e., it is generally not possible to perfectly represent a labyrinth scale map (1 hex = 1 MH) into a battle mat without creating distortions in angles and/or occasional gaps. I don't think the problem is solvable, which means you have to consider labyrinth scale maps to be an approximate representation of your battle map. That is fine, and I'm sure many players won't be bothered. But my response to this has been to shift to making my dungeon maps at a true 1:1 scale (1 hex on my map = 1 4-foot hex on the battle map). It is actually easier in some ways, though obviously my megadungeon map set is just incredibly big! Just sheets and sheet and sheets of paper...
Old 03-27-2020, 02:56 PM   #6
Shostak

These (any and all) will be welcome additions to my TFT toolkit. Keep it coming, SJG!
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:11 AM   #7
jemery40k

So the boards will fold into 10.5" x 9", pack of four, for under $20. Double-sided?

Last edited by jemery40k; 03-28-2020 at 02:20 AM.
jemery40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:39 AM   #8
KevinJ

Will they be available in 1" hexes as well as the newer larger scale? I'm not interested in the new, larger scale myself.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:38 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Will they be available in 1" hexes as well as the newer larger scale? I'm not interested in the new, larger scale myself.
No. We have no plan to create these in a smaller size than the hexes found in the Legacy Edition and Decks of Destiny.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
larsdangly

I support that decision; the best way to develop the strength of the line of products we use at the table top is to have new ones re-enforce existing ones by making them mutually consistent.

That is one reason to make sure any of these that have patterns or colors to signify outside spaces, etc., also have a white reverse side that will look good paired with the MH tiles.