Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2021, 12:12 AM   #11
corwyn

Default Re: GURPS News updated

Is there a way to see earlier News? What DF product were you referring to from last month?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:36 AM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Soon, sooooon. *steeples fingers*

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:22 AM   #13
lugaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Is there a way to see earlier News? What DF product were you referring to from last month?
The Past News link is at the bottom of the News page. Or there in the previous sentence.
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:40 PM   #14
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
The Past News link is at the bottom of the News page. Or there in the previous sentence.
Wouldn't Past News be 'Olds,' though?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:15 AM   #15
pgb

Given the entirely valid point about the huge workload Kromm has, etc, I wanted to ask a bit about process. I want to point out that this is in no way a complaint: SJG have always been great to interact with.

Anyway, I'd value a bit of feedback from regular writers, or anyone else with knowledge. I readily accept that SJG "cannot promise rapid turnaround" on query letters, and I completely understand that they don't want repeated nudges. But at what point do I assume that a query either completely got lost, or rated so low as to not merit a response? In particular, if I waited much more than the required month before nudging, and have waited similarly without response to the nudge, what's next? Does the absence of a "sorry, not what we want" response signify that my emails are going straight to spam? At what point, if any, does it become OK to chase it further?

Thanks for any views.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #16
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb View Post
Anyway, I'd value a bit of feedback from regular writers, or anyone else with knowledge. I readily accept that SJG "cannot promise rapid turnaround" on query letters, and I completely understand that they don't want repeated nudges. But at what point do I assume that a query either completely got lost, or rated so low as to not merit a response? In particular, if I waited much more than the required month before nudging, and have waited similarly without response to the nudge, what's next? Does the absence of a "sorry, not what we want" response signify that my emails are going straight to spam? At what point, if any, does it become OK to chase it further?

Thanks for any views.
I wait a little over a month for the first nudge and usually get a reply. If the reply was "Sorry, been busy give me time .." Then I'll nudge again a little after that time or a date if one was set. Otherwise I wait around 2 months for the second nudge letter.
If I havent heard back at all I usually drop it, though may propose it again later with a fresh description.
I have tried various options such as multiple queries in one letter but dont advise that route.
Despite the request to be brief, sometimes I have been too brief and time was spent on back and forth so try to give as full and interesting description of the concept as you can while still being brief.

If your new you could try sending it to a writer with their permission (So ask before you send it) and see if they have any suggestions. Risk there is the writer may take your idea so save the sent message. I doubt it would happen but always be safe. Also risk is the author may already be working on something similar - thus the importance of asking first.
For example if I have an idea for a How to be a GURPS GM product and you send something similar to me I would feel a conflict of interest.
Worse, you might feel cheated if mine came out and yours was rejected.

I have ran proposals by a couple of other authors myself and had one run a few by me. Mostly its when a relationship already exists or one of us suspects or heard the other might be working on something related or even identical.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:20 PM   #17
Strabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb View Post
Given the entirely valid point about the huge workload Kromm has, etc, I wanted to ask a bit about process. I want to point out that this is in no way a complaint: SJG have always been great to interact with.

Thanks for any views.
The first time I did not receive a reply, I waited a year and submitted the query again. It's been 6 months, and still not reply. I am still not losing hope, even if the reply is a negative one.

Last edited by Strabo; 08-01-2021 at 11:40 PM.
Strabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:49 AM   #18
pgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I wait a little over a month for the first nudge and usually get a reply. If the reply was "Sorry, been busy give me time .." Then I'll nudge again a little after that time or a date if one was set. Otherwise I wait around 2 months for the second nudge letter.
If I havent heard back at all I usually drop it, though may propose it again later with a fresh description.
I have tried various options such as multiple queries in one letter but dont advise that route.
Despite the request to be brief, sometimes I have been too brief and time was spent on back and forth so try to give as full and interesting description of the concept as you can while still being brief.

If your new you could try sending it to a writer with their permission (So ask before you send it) and see if they have any suggestions. Risk there is the writer may take your idea so save the sent message. I doubt it would happen but always be safe. Also risk is the author may already be working on something similar - thus the importance of asking first.
For example if I have an idea for a How to be a GURPS GM product and you send something similar to me I would feel a conflict of interest.
Worse, you might feel cheated if mine came out and yours was rejected.

I have ran proposals by a couple of other authors myself and had one run a few by me. Mostly its when a relationship already exists or one of us suspects or heard the other might be working on something related or even identical.
Thanks - that's very helpful. I might give a second nudge; plenty of time has elapsed, and I don't think it could be considered unreasonable, even if nothing comes of it. And I'll certainly give some thought to the kind of unofficial review you suggest.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:51 AM   #19
pgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strabo View Post
The first time I did not receive a reply, I waited a year and submitted the query again. It's been 6 months, and still not reply. I am still not losing hope, even if the reply is a negative one.
Interesting. That's not out of line with the time since I submitted. Good to know it's not just me! Thanks for sharing.