Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
saint fu

Default Statting Gear that allows Run and Hit

A player in my super gonzo cinematic campaign setting wants to create a character with a prosthetic hand that will allow him to use what is essentially Hook shot -- a line of sight innate attack that does marginal damage (or none), but allows him to immediately close on his target.

I imagined I could stat the prosthetic limb as a grapnel, with an alternate ability that grants "Run and Hit," foregoing the additional move turn but still providing the bonus to Striking Strength.

Additionally, I wouldn't want the negative DX modifier from Move and Attack to still apply.

I found a similar ability statted here using Warp, but that seems unnecessarily expensive and complicated.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
saint fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Statting Gear that allows Run and Hit

Keeping with the theme of the movement as the primary point, you could base the ability on Enhanced Move, with an appropriate limitation for only being able to run directly toward the target. It will be cheaper than Warp, but it won't instantly transport you over any distance. The character might well want Run and Hit, though that seems like a separate ability to me.

A similarly limited Flight is another possible base, as is Super Jump (which helps slam damage).

Alternatively, you might treat it as Telekinesis. This emphasizes the grappling aspect, and allows the target to struggle against the pull. Actual motion is likely to be slow, unless you put a lot of TK ST into the ability.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:42 AM   #3
saint fu

Super Jump works perfectly! Thank you.
saint fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Tuk the Weekah

Visually, is this planned to be something similar to Machine Man's telescoping arms & legs? If so, you might want to add some kind of Nuisance Effect to the Super Jump, as the bad guys would not only know the destination, but the precise trajectory as well. I'd probably stick with the Obvious (-5%), because it's really only going to be relevant to a very fast bad guy who has previously fought the PC, or at least seen him in combat.
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy 11, signature gear