Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-16-2022, 04:37 AM   #1
Racer

Default Name of Time Traveling Demon AD&D Adventure ?

This was brought up in a discussion about AD&D with a couple of friends .

Myself & another vaguely recall an actually scary Adventure (not a Module) , featuring a time traveling Demon . I think it was in Dragon or Dungeon Magazine or possibly an earlish White Dwarf mag .

Amongst the details I can remember was that the Demon antagonist travelled forward on that world's timeline & hid out around their equivalent of a Railway/Railroad Station . Obviously a nod towards 'Night of The Demon' film . Some of the artwork was very disturbing .

Adventurers had to travel forward in time also from late Medieval world period to defeat it & deal with difficulties in a 'modern world' .

Timeframe would be late '80's to the mid 1990's .

Multiple Google searches & a check through Dragon mag archive PDFs , have drawn blanks .

Any help on this is very welcome ! :⁠-⁠)

Last edited by Racer; 11-16-2022 at 04:41 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Name of Time Traveling Demon AD&D Adventure ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
T

Multiple Google searches & a check through Dragon mag archive PDFs , have drawn blanks .

The only thing I can tell you is that it I don't think it was Dragon or an "official" TSR module of that period. I had a subscription to Dragon all through that timeframe and the TSR stuff made it to the local Waldenbooks and I don't remember anything like you describe. I often skimmed past the fiction in Dragon but not big adventures even if they were not my thing.

I did not subscribe too Dungeon and never got more than one or two issues of White Dwarf.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:43 PM   #3
The Colonel

Just done a brief check of my mouldering archives of Adventurer and Imagine and don't think it was in either of them.

I too vaguely remember a D&D scenario that dropped people into a modern city, but remember it being more silly than horrifying, so it probably wasn't that one.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:00 PM   #4
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Just done a brief check of my mouldering archives of Adventurer and Imagine and don't think it was in either of them.

I too vaguely remember a D&D scenario that dropped people into a modern city, but remember it being more silly than horrifying, so it probably wasn't that one.
Definitely not that one, there's not any demons to speak of, and as you note it's rather silly. It has a weird obsession with street kids and truancy officers. Apparently the author apparently wanted very much to do a D&D version of The Borribles, but nobody else wanted that so he filed off the serial numbers and added a plot involving retrieving a powerful artifact that St. Cuthbert had hidden in the British Museum to keep it away from people in D&D land.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:11 AM   #5
Racer

Thank for all the information guys .

Midget.Yoda mailed me that he's pretty sure it was in British 'Role Player Independent' magazine in 1993 . Timeframe would be spot on . I still own the first issue of that mag & it was known for it's quite in depth (for the time) AD&D adventures .

Now to see if any Brit friends or acquaints have the relevant copy ...

Cheers all ! :-)
Old 11-17-2022, 01:56 PM   #6
The Colonel

I can't find anything relevant in the issues I do have but a check of the online records for RPI suggests that this:

"Goin' Underground" (Jonathan Rowe) - A trip on London's tube will never quite seem quite the same again in this adventure for Metropolis' Kult RPG

https://rpggeek.com/rpgissue/94345/r...sue-2-feb-1994

might be what you are after?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:32 AM   #7
sgtcallistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
This was brought up in a discussion about AD&D with a couple of friends .

Myself & another vaguely recall an actually scary Adventure (not a Module) , featuring a time traveling Demon . I think it was in Dragon or Dungeon Magazine or possibly an earlish White Dwarf mag .

Amongst the details I can remember was that the Demon antagonist travelled forward on that world's timeline & hid out around their equivalent of a Railway/Railroad Station . Obviously a nod towards 'Night of The Demon' film . Some of the artwork was very disturbing .

Adventurers had to travel forward in time also from late Medieval world period to defeat it & deal with difficulties in a 'modern world' .

The DnD adaptation of 'The Keep' had the story set in a number of timeframes, which included the heroes having to wait for the 'monster' to reappear in modern times? Only one I recall that approaches what you describe.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:26 PM   #8
Anthony

Well, I did find an online list of dungeon magazine adventures, but none look particularly promising.