Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #91
SilvercatMoonpaw

Default Re: Alternate Versions of Inifinite Worlds

I was wrong earlier: I started this thread to propose and discuss both changes to Homeline and the nature of the alternate worlds.

Want to be clear on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Infinity is a very popular target for people to tweak. The mechanics are very solid, and the world remains familiar. But I think many people who run it feel like it lacks just a couple of changes, and this is the appropriate thread for that.
But I think I've now seen more than one proposal of travel-stopping field, not necessarily here but both here and at least one other place. To me that seems like something you don't even need a different version of the setting for, you could just drop them in the canon one as a new tech.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #92
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Huh, is it just me, or do a lot of people want to keep as much of the original IW setting as they can?
The truth is, if they don't the result is indistinguishable from the new factions thread. Take Library Wars, where rival groups hunt special books that give them access to different myth parallels. That could easily be going on side by side with Infinity and Centrum. Same thing with that supplement where magicians and paladins roam the worlds looking for macguffins. Or the interdimensional stairway walkers from Lords of Gossamer and Shadow. Or Torg's invasions. Each them is their own interdimensional campaign, but each of them could be happening parallel to Infinity's trading and covert warfare with Centrum and Reich.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #93
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The truth is, if they don't the result is indistinguishable from the new factions thread.
So did this thread need to exist at all?

I'm genuinely asking because I don't know anything about that thread and it might be I should have just posted there instead of making this one.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #94
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
So did this thread need to exist at all?

I'm genuinely asking because I don't know anything about that thread and it might be I should have just posted there instead of making this one.

Yes, it did. We've gone 90+ posts and a lot of the ideas could only really be done in a thread about changing the premises rather than the factions or the worlds. Its just this thread has two types of entries: alternate versions of infinity unlimited that replace rather than exist side by side with it, and alternate setups that fundamentally change how traveling is done.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #95
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its just this thread has two types of entries:....
I probably should have set up the thread premise better.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #96
SteamBub

Time Meddlers

A illuminated take on Infinity Unlimited. In this version, IU sees anyone not from homeline as things or others. They only care to exploit worlds for it's materials and they do it by supporting native totalitarian groups or pushing governments towards totalitarianism.

As you can guess, it's inspired by the Time Meddlers form GURPS Illuminati.
SteamBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #97
Astromancer

The Temple of Janus has the sacred doors that open to worlds known to the gods but beyond the reach of men save through the sacred doors. Worlds as near as your heart's blood and further than the fixed stars.

These worlds differ from ours in how the elements of fire, water, earth, air, aether, and spirit are blended together. Some worlds are locked in endless winter, others are infested with gigantic beasts, others are infested with strange magics. Stranger and more familiar are the worlds where the affairs of men were ordered differently by fate's decree.

These worlds offer treasures, wonders, wisdom, and perils beyond measure. For Rome, you shall seek out strange new worlds and unknown horizons.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #98
Astromancer

The Temple of the Future Buddha was the focus of a system of alternative worlds in Moorcock's A Nomad of the Time Streams.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #99
SilvercatMoonpaw

Infinite Games

Infinite Worlds is the latest MMVR (Massively Multiplayer Virtual-Reality). The aim of the game is to secure timelines for resources (and occasional tourism or scholarly work). As is tradition there are two sides, yet neither is strictly "good' or "evil": Infinity Unlimited is for players who want the challenge of having to deal with being secretive and navigating a tangled bureaucracy, while Centrum is for the straightforward players and those who disregard the idea of a "non-interference clause". (Reich-5 exists for those times the devs want an enemy both sides can agree to fight.)

And you could run an entire campaign like that of just (sort of) friendly competition. Or you could start having people disappear into the "game". Which might not quite be just a game.....

Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 03-16-2021 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #100
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Its been a while, but I loved this thread.

Blasted Infinities
The world has ended. Above ground is a barren wasteland filled with dangers, and below the earth is only a limited amount of supplies. You thought you had a way out: a way to travel to timelines where the world didn't end. A way to go to worlds lush and green and pristine where you can save yourselves and everyone else huddled in that underground bunker with you.

The other worlds are also dead. But they're not all dead in the same way. Each had a different technological peak it reached before dying. And if you gather enough technology, you might be able bring one of them back to life...

An all after-the-end game. Should be fun. If you really want to scare your players have pre-parachronic centrum show up as a faction on their homeworld.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, infinte worlds