Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 07-31-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
pup67vargr

Default Potential Discussion Thread for pup67vargr's 1st GURPS Traveller Venture Here

I have a major itch to get involved in a GURPS Traveller PbP game. Can I do that on this board, or do I have to go elsewhere? Never mind, found 'em!

Last edited by pup67vargr; 07-31-2011 at 06:28 PM.
pup67vargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
pup67vargr

Default Potential Discussion Thread for pup67vargr's 1st GURPS Traveller Venture Here

Ok, I found them. Hmmm, ok, so let's make this the discussion thread for a possible pup67vargr-run Traveller venture, shall we? Those interested please post here, with any ideas you may have for the sort of game that you're looking for. I'm open to just about anything from an asteroid mining all-work-and-no-play-game (fun, fun!), to a ship-fulla-spies espionage-type game, to a "let's-steal-a-ship-and-be-pirates" game, to an "interstellar wars" jump-drive shoot'em-up game, to a basic free trader, "sell-my-cargo-to-keep-one-step-ahead-of-the-repo-bots" game, to whatever kind of game YOU would like to see! Let me know something, please?

Last edited by pup67vargr; 07-31-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
doulos05

Default Re: Where are the Play-by-Post GURPS Traveller games hiding?

I replied on your other thread, but I'd be interested in pretty much anything. I'm a big fan of the free trader stuff, but I'm curious what kind of time requirements there would be.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
MisterJuan

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring as well... and to be quite frank, I'd be up for pretty much anything as long as space is involved ;)
MisterJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
pup67vargr

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
I replied on your other thread, but I'd be interested in pretty much anything. I'm a big fan of the free trader stuff, but I'm curious what kind of time requirements there would be.
Other thread, hmm? Musta misplaced that one. Any chance you could post a link to it? I hate to leave orphan threads around here this soon! Free trader stuff, eh? That can be arranged easily enough. Any chance you might also like some occasional increased excitement say with gun-running, drug smuggling, or contraband bullion trading? :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJuan View Post
I'd like to throw my hat in the ring as well... and to be quite frank, I'd be up for pretty much anything as long as space is involved ;)
Yeah, you might as well get your hat trampled on like the rest of us, I guess! ;-) Good to have you aboard!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup67vargr View Post
Other thread, hmm? Musta misplaced that one. Any chance you could post a link to it? I hate to leave orphan threads around here this soon! Free trader stuff, eh? That can be arranged easily enough. Any chance you might also like some occasional increased excitement say with gun-running, drug smuggling, or contraband bullion trading? :-)
There's your other thread.

As for the other stuff. It'd be boring if that wasn't there. I'm down for any position on the ship. We'll see what everyone else is thinking. Time to start cooking up a backstory....
Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
pup67vargr

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
I'm curious what kind of time requirements there would be.
Oh, yeah, the 'time' thing.... I think 'requirements' is too strong a word to use in this situation. Really, I've never had a PbP game where any of my players posted more often than I was comfortable with. I guess I like it best if players can post 2-3 times per week. Now, if that's asking too much, I can lower my expectations. Would you be able to squeeze in at least ONE post per week? Maybe it would work better if both players (so far) tell me what their most comfortable with?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
pup67vargr

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 in other thread
I'm interested, assuming I can make it fit my schedule. Never done a PbP, so I'm not sure how time-intensive those are.
PbP is like playing a table-top RPG for maybe 10 minutes today, followed by 10 minutes tomorrow, etc. (Oh, and you can't see any of the other players, either, so that adds a definite wrinkle, too.) Combat is, well, different. Character interaction and other stuff flows pretty smoothly, but an involved combat can drag on for a week or more. And, honestly, I'm much more familiar with D&D/d20 style combats, so there's also the issue of my learning curve dealing with GURPS combat, too. I'm studying-up some as I go here, so hopefully it won't be all that challenging for me.

[thanks for the link, doulos05! I had to get myself subscribed to that other thread, all taken care of now.]
Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
doulos05

Ok, well I'm in. Anybody else up for a PbP?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:12 AM   #10
sn0wball

I am interested as well, although I am

a) not a native speaker or English

b) live in a different time zone.

The expected amount of time invested in the game is pretty important to me. 10 minutes per day would be ok, although I probably produce less amounts of text in that time because of a)

As far as the topic is concerend, free trading should be quite suited to the PbP format. On the other hand, I am not particularily interested in a game consisting of purely game mechanical/economical decisions or keeping track of cargo, prices and so on.