Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 07-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
Myrkabah

Default Backstab question

We had the following scenario happen in a game, and there's a disagreement on what the rules would have happen.

I was playing a Dwarf Wizard, and Player A was playing an Elf Thief. It's my turn.

I move into a room with a Tentacle Demon (?), with the intent of attacking it. Player A threatens to backstab me if I don't let her assist - I tell her that I'm wiling to take that risk, since she's level 2. She goes ahead and rolls a d10, and gets a 7. So no backstab.

Player B, at this point, starts playing cards on the Demon. It gets buffed to the point where I decide I need help, so I tell player A that I will let her help. Our combined dice rolls were enough to defeat the creature.

Player B says that since Player A already rolled a d10 for the backstab, that she had dedicated herself to being an antagonist to that combat, and couldn't be a helper. I say that since she failed (and since she said she would only do it if I didn't let her help), and since the roll to try occurred long before the cards had been played out, that she could still be a helper.

Any idea on who's right here, or would it just be who owns the set? ;)
Myrkabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
Beloved

Default Re: Backstab question

It's perfectly munchkin-like to first backstab and/or play cards against a player and still help that same player after that. In fact, this is a good tactic to make that player want your help.

There's no such thing as becoming an antagonist in Munchkin.
Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

When the attempt was made, the Thief was not the main combatant nor the helper, so I don't see that the prior action now makes the Thief ineligible to help, since the card doesn't say he is. I need to check the rules, but I don't really recall anything about this particular issue.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
whitecloud197

Actually in my personal experience that is a very common munchkin tactic myself and others use:

"Let me help you or ELSE....." (threatingly holds up 3 cards)

"No"

(players do bad stuff to you...Curses / Monster Enhancers / backstabbing / etc etc, Until your in a position where you need help or lose the fight)

"Ok Help Me"
whitecloud197 is offline   Reply With Quote