Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 10-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Optional Rule: Alternate Uses For Move

This is a proposed optional rule for Munchkin Quest. Please post your thoughts, and if you playtest the rule, make sure you indicate that your comments are based on playtesting!

In Munchkin Quest 2 – Looking for Trouble, we suggested starting with 2 Move, instead of 3, to speed up the game. However, if you lose even 1 Move, then your turns get very boring, very quickly. These rules give you other things you can do with Move on your turn besides move, search, and Deals, without reducing your starting Move total. You can use any or all of them.
  • You can spend Move in combat to add dice to your roll, one die per Move spent. This decision must be made before rolling.
  • You can spend extra Move to add dice to your search roll, one die per extra Move spent. This decision must be made before rolling.
  • At the start of your turn, if there are monsters in your room, you can spend 1 extra Move to sneak out of the room without fighting. The monsters will ignore you. (You cannot spend extra Move if you have to spend all your Move to leave!)
  • You can spend 1 Move to move one of your monsters to any room adjacent to it.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Blu

Default Re: Optional Rule: Alternate Uses For Move

Very interested in bullet points 3 and 4. Can't wait to try it now.
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

I'll be honest when I say that this is my favorite of the 3 alternate rules. And I like every bullet point equally.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
Brandy

Two thumbs (er, Big Toes?) up for this one. I'll try and test this one (along with the explore-one-room-only one, which also sounds good) soon.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Solelron
Banned

I did a variation on this where 1st turn u get 1 move, 2nd turn 2, and then 3 after that..it seems to speed things up as the first two moves get all the gears going then the rest flies.
Solelron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solelron View Post
I did a variation on this where 1st turn u get 1 move, 2nd turn 2, and then 3 after that..it seems to speed things up as the first two moves get all the gears going then the rest flies.
Your alternative rule just changes the amount of Move you have a turn, it does not provide extra uses for Move, so I'm not sure how it's a variation. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
kleedrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solelron View Post
This sounds like an addendum/suggestion more for the "Limited Exploration" rule as opposed to this one.
MIB #5741
Do you live near Yorkton, Sask.
kleedrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:10 AM   #8
crimhead

We tried this rule yesterday along with limited exploration. We were playing three way with MQ2, the Troll Both promo, and one Kill-O-Meter each. We left the coasters in the box, and Portal Combat hasn't arrived yet. :(

One thing we weren't clear on was when you could use these powers, particularly the fourth bullet point. We decided to make it a play-anytime power, allowing for interference with combats.

An interesting detail, movement is refreshed at the end of ones turn, not the beginning. This means if you wish to move monsters on an opponents turn, it comes off you following turn's movement, not unused move from your previous turn. I'm not sure if this was meant to be legal, but it should be! Allowing this power on an opponents turn adds fun, strategy, mayhem, and player interaction.

We all had a great time and enjoyed the changes very much. For the first time ever I'm inclined to play with five or six!

Early on we thought the extra dice were a bit strong. It seemed we were beating the middle strength monsters all too easily (we were even considering suggesting one extra die per munchkin per fight). But later as stronger monsters emerged and the enhancers began to fly we no longer had this concern.

The ending was fantastic! One munchkin was fighting the boss, while the other two were adjacent to the entrance (and both at level ten). The two bystanders each spent two of our three moves to send a monster of our respective colours into the fight - She was now fighting the boss (+5), the Hippogriff, a +10 enhanced Squidzilla and a +3 one shot - a total of 72 plus six dice. Julie was sitting at 24 plus a die, but used her RoF (the last one in play) and rolled a 5 with a loaded die to make 29 (reversed to 92) to beat the monsters total of 88.

Thank you for your continued support of Munchkin Quest! We hope to see these appear as official optional rules in a future expansion or in the FAQ.

Last edited by crimhead; 11-07-2010 at 02:14 AM.
crimhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimhead View Post
One thing we weren't clear on was when you could use these powers, particularly the fourth bullet point. We decided to make it a play-anytime power, allowing for interference with combats.
Then you didn't read closely: "These rules give you other things you can do with Move on your turn..." (Emphasis added.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #10
crimhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Then you didn't read closely: "These rules give you other things you can do with Move on your turn..." (Emphasis added.)
Oops, my bad.

Given this is in the testing stage, I would recommend (if you already haven't) considering extending these abilities to play-anytime status. We had a lot of fun throwing monsters at each other. Extending this ability to opponents also helps offset the advantages the active player has by moving monsters around and gaining extra dice.

The fist bullet point would also be cool out of turn while helping in a fight. Indeed it could encourage helping (and asking for help) which doesn't happen enough in my games.

Using movement out of turn might seem a little strange, but movement is precious, so I doubt this would be done frequently or lightly.

Anyway, that's my feedback after one game played. And thanks for the clarification. :)
crimhead is offline   Reply With Quote