Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 08-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Zalamieer

Default Escape Cards vs Boss

Is it possible to use the various "any time" escape cards such as "Blink Potion", "Teleportation Scroll", and "Curse! Winds of Fate!" during a boss fight to avoid the level loss?

I'd like to go into a boss fight, have my opponent(s) burn her(their) monster buff cards, then escape the fight and use another move token to retry the fight with a new monster (assuming that the current boss would be removed from play and a new boss would be drawn once I re-enter the "Entrance" tile).

The rules on page 11 state: "No card or power will let you bypass this combat!"

My interpretation is that this just drives home the oft-mentioned rule of 'you cannot win the game without killing the boss'. While my wife interprets it as 'you cannot avoid combat with a boss once you have landed on the Entrance tile at level 10. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 gold pieces'.

Which of us is correct?

Thanks.
Zalamieer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
SithMasterZaid

Default Re: Escape Cards vs Boss

OMG... I was just about to post this question! It'd be an awesome strategy... having everyone waste their enhancers on a fight that isn't going to matter... then go right back in there... if you had move left of course!

Though I'm pretty sure your wife is right... I do believe once you're a level 10 and you step into the Entrance you have to participate in the battle no matter what.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You must either kill the Boss (and win the game) or fail to kill the Boss and suffer the penalties for losing (plus Bad Stuff, if you fail the roll). There is no third option in the Boss fight.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Rockpsl76

Is that the complete answer? The only reason I ask is because the rules state that "No card or power will let you bypass this combat!". The way I interpretted that, was that I couldn't play "Curse! Winds of Fate!" to escape the battle myself, but I could play "Curse! Winds of Fate!" in order to push my opponent out of a boss battle they would surely win. I did this manuever the other day in order to secure a victory. Was it invalid?
Rockpsl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

I'm not sure Andrew's statement means you can't play Curse! Winds Of Fate, because it does, in fact, let you Run Away, and you can Run Away from the Boss. However, if you Run Away from the Boss, you lose a Level and suffer a hit, even if you get away safe. Assuming you succeeded in your roll, you still have to suffer the effects you normally would if you have to Run Away from the Boss Monster, and that was, what I think was, Andrew's point. It's certainly how I've been interpreting things.

This means the strategy of fighting, allowing other players to buff the Monster(s), then walking right back into the Entrance using Curse! Winds Of Fate is invalid, for certain.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Rockpsl76

That makes sense. But now my question is, if I force another player to leave the combat by casting "Curse! Winds of Fate!", do they take a hit and lose a level as well as getting pulled out of battle? That's even more evil than I was intending to be :)
Rockpsl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
stopyelling

From what I can tell, since the only two options for a boss is to Kill it or to Run Away and risk suffering it's Bad Stuff and by default taking a hit + losing a level then using "Curse! Winds of Fate!" should be allowed.

Forcing someone to Run Away in a battle that he is legally allowed to Run Away in is right and they should lose a level/take a hit as well.
stopyelling is offline   Reply With Quote