Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 11-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
joker999

Default Too many cards

Has anyone else noticed this? But when playing during some points in the game a player(s) can end up with such an insane number of cards in their hand their stinking turn lasts for like 15 - 20 min due to them having to go through sometimes in upwards of 15 cards to discard.

Had a guy last night who had I think it was Boots of Running Fast so he had 4 movement. Burned his first movement to loot the room used a Loaded Die to make it an 11 (doesn't state it has to be used on a d6 roll so we all assumed this is legal). Got his 3 treasures, moved to the next room and took out the Pterodactyl for 5 more treasures and now at level 10(Oh and he controlled the pterodactyl). Explored a new room, rolled his color, drew the Plutonium Dragon and was able to crush it (could be because we didn't have many cards left to mess with him and were saving them for the boss battle), so again 5 moe treasure. Used his last move to loot again but this time rolled a 10. And to boot he was the lowest level player going into this turn so he had probably 10 cards going into it. Took him probably 15-20 min to go through all his cards.

I just feel this takes away so much from the game. in Munchkin the end turn part doesn't take soo long it can just be people screwing with you, that's fine, but man it can REALLY drag on.

Any ideas for restricting card draws (DxM is probably the only way one could restrict...) or for quickening this up. I'm thinking about time limits for turns, if you haven't used your movement too bad discard fool.
joker999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
MiB #3892

Default Re: Too many cards

I think either the other players weren't being munchkins enough or your group may have been doing something wrong rules wise. That is a ridiculous number of cards to have in your hand. I've never seen it get even near that.

Also, how can Loaded Die cause a d6 Search Roll to be 11? Did the player have +5 to his searches? Note that Search says to "roll a die", which according to p4 means a d6.
MiB #3892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Unless there's a bonus die added due to favorable conditions to a class or race, you would need a search bonus to get better than 6. The rules have a blanket rule that a d6 is the default die, and unless something says to roll something else, you always roll the d6 for an instruction that says "roll [a] die." Even still, a Loaded Die can only be used to improve one die, not the whole roll, and since there's no 11 side on a d6, your friend can't do what he did.

If you want to speed things up, it's been said a number of times: Change the starting move to 2.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 11-17-2008 at 07:49 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
D-Man

No to sound redundant, but it does sound like you were using the d10 to roll your search. You use the 1d6.

Also, was he discarding down to 5 cards at the end of each of his turns?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB #0325
Also, was he discarding down to 5 cards at the end of each of his turns?
The OP did say spending 15-20 minutes trying to figure out what cards to discard, so I assumed this was an issue of collecting cards during one's turn and not having a problem with carrying over over-sized hands. There are lots of opportunities to get cards, so it's not unexpected that most players will find themselves trying to figure out charity at the end of their turn far more often than in Munchkin.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Cheese8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
The OP did say spending 15-20 minutes trying to figure out what cards to discard, so I assumed this was an issue of collecting cards during one's turn and not having a problem with carrying over over-sized hands. There are lots of opportunities to get cards, so it's not unexpected that most players will find themselves trying to figure out charity at the end of their turn far more often than in Munchkin.

Once people start getting more familiar with the cards though, the time it takes to figure out what cards to get rid of during charity should decrease.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
joker999

Quote:
Unless there's a bonus die added due to favorable conditions to a class or race, you would need a search bonus to get better than 6. The rules have a blanket rule that a d6 is the default die, and unless something says to roll something else, you always roll the d6 for an instruction that says "roll [a] die." Even still, a Loaded Die can only be used to improve one die, not the whole roll, and since there's no 11 side on a d6, your friend can't do what he did.

If you want to speed things up, it's been said a number of times: Change the starting move to 2.
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't seen that I tried searching various forums apparently not well enough.

In regards to everyones serious comments on the search deal, I had read the rules multiple times but for some reason I kept looking on the back page there and simply saw the large table and instantly assumed D10. I know "roll a die" means d6 in the rules. There admitted my mistake.

The move thing would speed up the game significantly, otherwise it would be hard to get buddies to come over and play soon...
Old 11-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
joker999

Quote:
That is exactly it.

The group is 100% Munchkin experiences so we knew a good # of the cards going in, its just a different aspect as to how to use them. Usually that point of the turn resulted in random untimely curses getting thrown all over the place and/or the great number of insane classes and races everyone but me seemed to draw (I NEVER get them even in normal Munchkin which seems to be a BIG complaint my friends had always drawing them...I always get cursed when I kick down the doors in regular Munchkin).

May I take a second to throw another question out there, anyone having problems with Monsters moving basically once then getting stuck in a room never to move again? or Never moving at all (I know part of this will be fixed with the expansion and being able to use all 6 arrows). Did I miss a part in the rules stating if there's no bloody arrows the monster just moves or something?

We did end up with a doozy of a room due to this, the Fungus room which had the recently killing my fellow Munchkin due to drawing the Fungus which of course was made hilariously Humongous...then the following turn a Plutonium Dragon was fought and lost to and it ended up moving into there with no where to go. That was one avoided room let me tell you.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
Progmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker999
May I take a second to throw another question out there, anyone having problems with Monsters moving basically once then getting stuck in a room never to move again? or Never moving at all (I know part of this will be fixed with the expansion and being able to use all 6 arrows). Did I miss a part in the rules stating if there's no bloody arrows the monster just moves or something?
I've seen some monsters stay in a single room for a few turns due to the die roll.

However, I'm confused by your comment about using all 6 arrows once the expansion comes out. Currently all six colors are used on the room tiles, there just aren't Purple and Orange components for the players. So, if you roll Purple or Orange for the Monster Movement turn, some tiles do have those arrows. Don't just assume a room doesn't have those color arrows.

Last edited by Progmode; 11-17-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Omitted words
Progmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker999
Did I miss a part in the rules stating if there's no bloody arrows the monster just moves or something?
I think you're making some mistakes when attempting monster movement.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote