Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default [DF] Designing a Warlock occupational template

So, got to thinking about what other D&D Classes could be converted into Dungeon Fantasy, and it struck me that one of the most popular classes, the Warlock, should be relatively easy to do in GURPS, just by taking the Wizard and adding the Pact limitation to its Magery, with the addition of Patron, and a Duty disadvantage to represent your supernatural Patron making demands of you from time to time.

For more crunch, the Assisting Spirits rules from GURPS Thaumatology would also work well to represent a Warlock's relationship with their magical Patron, with the additional twist of Spiritual Distortion to represent the Warlock struggling to maintain their self-control as the Patron begins to exert more influence on them.

Maybe there could be Sorcery-style Power Ups to represent a closer connection to the Patron, with the Archfey granting the ability to blink-teleport, or the Eldritch Horror granting tentacles..

That's all I can think about right now. Any suggestions?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
ravenfish

Default Re: [DF] Designing a Warlock occupational template

I am not familiar with the most recent incarnations of DnD, but the version of the Warlock that I am familiar with (from edition 3.5) was characterized by having a more limited selection of magical abilities than other spellcasters but by being able to use them without regard to daily limits. If this is still the case, the logical GURPS conversion would be the Sorcery system of magic as powers, set forth in Thaumatology - Sorcery and with a Dungeon Fantasy character template in Pyramid 82. If later versions have the patron being more involved in the warlock's life, your suggestion of a Pact modifier seems appropriate, or, if the Patron is particularly finicky, you could adapt the Spirit power modifier from Powers where every ability use needs a reaction roll to see if the patron is willing to cooperate.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
LoneWolf23k

The 5e Warlock definitely works more like a traditional D&D Spellcaster class, with spell slots and everything, but since every 5e Class gets access to At-Will Cantrips, they turned the Eldritch Blast into a Cantrip and gave the Warlock some unique spells.

They still get Eldritch Invocations, which operate in addition to the spell slots.

So in GURPS terms, the Warlock is more a Wizard/Sorcerer combination with Pact-based Magery.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #4
Anders

You can also use the Divine Favor route - take the patron as a... well, Patron and buy other spells as Alternative Abilities to the Patron advantage.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
You can also use the Divine Favor route - take the patron as a... well, Patron and buy other spells as Alternative Abilities to the Patron advantage.
This is probably what I'd do.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
Phantasm

I'd probably make a D&D 3.5 conversion of the Warlock (because I've only ever done a halberd fighter with 5e, and I know 3.5 better), which would probably be a Pact-based Sorcery route (and possibly with a dash of Imbuements for flavor).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:48 PM   #7
Hide

I often play as a warlock in GURPS DF, and my preferred approach is magic as powers; I recommend GURPS - Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:50 PM   #8
Tymathee

Location: I'd rather be alone than be with people who make me feel alone.

When I played DnD 5E, it was fun to just dip into the Warlock for the Eldritch Blast. Then if you mixed with Sorcerer you could become a Eldritch Blast-machine gun.

It'd be fun to have a warlock that could be blasty.
"Mom's resentful that she has to work so hard, which obscures her guilt about actually wanting to work so hard. Dad's guilty about being less driven than mom, but thinks it's wrong to feel that way, so he hides behind a smokescreen of cluelessness. Quinn wears superficiality like a suit of armor, because she's afraid of looking inside and finding absolutely nothing. And I'm so defendant that I actively work to make people dislike me so I won't feel bad when they do. Can I go now?" - Daria Morgendorffer
Tymathee is offline   Reply With Quote