Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
hellerphant

Default Monster movement question

Hey guys,

So we jumped into this game last night for the first time, and after wrapping our heads around it, one thing that seemed to be broken was the monster movement.

To make sure I'm understanding this correctly:

A monster moves following the arrows that correspond to its base colour (for instance Red monsters will follow red arrows) until it can no longer move (due to there being no more arrows).

Is that correct? Because we found that our monsters were being moved into one room, then they would be stuck there on the next monster turn because there was no way for it to "legally" move.

We only had two monsters in play (as we were killing all the others) and they simply couldn't leave their rooms. Are we doing it wrong?
hellerphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Blazinjsin

Default Re: Monster movement question

The way monster move works is that you roll the color die to determine which color arrow they follow. Don't forget the player who's color comes up gets a dxm card. The monsters continue following the arrows until there are no more, they hit a door or wall, or until they would enter a room they've already been in this turn. Some monsters have special move rules which will be indicated on the cards or the standies.

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
hellerphant

Let me just make sure I have this right:

I explore a new room, a monster appears and I roll the coloured die. It comes up blue, and I'm blue, which means I own the monster and get a DxM card.

I decided to run away into the next room. I end my turn so the monster is still alive.

Then I roll the coloured die and it is red. Does this mean my monster, on the blue stand, still follows all red arrows - along with all other monsters currently on the map?

If so, then I was definitely doing it wrong last night!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Blazinjsin

That is correct. Also the red player would get a dxm card when you rolled. The color of the monster doesn't affect monster movement except that if a monster of your color would go through a room you are in, it stops there and won't move out of that room as long as you are in it.

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
hellerphant

Awesome, that make way more sense.

Thanks again!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Clipper

Don't forget to check the rules and the monster card if the standie has a coloured footprint icon on it. The rules for dealing with those monsters are listed on page 13 in the Special Monster Movement box. Blaz mentioned them earlier, but it may have been missed. These special movement types, like Fast, will make that monster behave differently than the other monsters.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Rubie

I know I'm a little late to the game here, but I also wanted to slightly correct Blazinjsin's first post slightly:

"The monsters continue following the arrows until there are no more, they hit a door or wall"

Actually, most monsters can pass through regular doors (p.13), it's the hidden and locked doors that will stop them, unless their ability indicates otherwise.
Rubie is offline   Reply With Quote