Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2020, 03:46 AM   #1
Calliban

Default Reasonable starting points for cinematic martial artists and core wizards?

I want to run a fantasy game using GURPS Crusades as background. PCs will be members of an Italian merchant family trying to rise to glory.

Some of my players really enjoy the standard Magic system, so we will be using GURPS Magic for this game. GURPS Martial Arts will also be used, and some of my players asked me to allow cinematic martial arts.

In my mind, if fantasy allows for a Wizard to throw fireballs, then it should allow for flying leaps and breaking blows as well. I also think some of the Trained by a Master and Weapon Master optional rules from MA do a lot for balancing cinematic martial artists with mages.

Cinematic Martial Artists need a lot of points to become viable, and the book suggests a bare minimum of 200 pts (which I think is kinda high). OTOH mages can get a ton of high level (i.e. recuced cost, shorter casting times) spells if given enough character points, which can be an issue.

My question is - what is a reasonable (or bare minimum) value for the starting character points that would allow cinematic martial artists to work, but would not let wizards to get out of hand?

A bonus question - anything on Thaumatology or any other books that would make combining M and MA...safer? Advantages, disadvantages, mana levels...

Tags
crusades, magic, martial arts, venice