Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
Tallor

Default Unbreakable Shield, Breakable Wielder

If a character is in the possession of an "Unbreakable" shield (let's say DR appropriate to stop a giant with a maul), can a huge impact still damage the arm/torso of the wielder? I would say so, but how much force would that take?
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:48 PM   #2
Warlockco

Default Re: Unbreakable Shield, Breakable Wielder

Realistically, even if the shield has the DR to stop the attack with no effect, the wielder would at the very least still be subject to knockback.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:43 AM   #3
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

There's a character in my Dungeon Fantasy game that has an unbreakable shield. When he takes a square hit (not deflected), I subject him to the knock back of the damage even though his shield will be unharmed.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:30 AM   #4
Balor Patch

Blunt Trauma injury to the arm would be reasonable.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:42 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
If a character is in the possession of an "Unbreakable" shield (let's say DR appropriate to stop a giant with a maul), can a huge impact still damage the arm/torso of the wielder? I would say so, but how much force would that take?
Make sure that you aren't making the character with the unbreakable shield worse off than the character with a normal one.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:13 AM   #6
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
That's how I'd do it, but I'd make it less* severe then normal, otherwise even human level combatant's will be doing damage through shields

maybe, double (or even triple) the thresholds for CR & Cut damage and ignore Pi & Imp?

But I think knock back is also the way to go here

*shields are rigid and often padded after all, even if they are strapped to the arm
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
aesir23

I agree, blunt trauma and knockback are the right mechanics to deal with this, and both of those rules should be applied to all shields, including those with finite and reasonable DR and Hit Points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Make sure that you aren't making the character with the unbreakable shield worse off than the character with a normal one.
Although, realistically, some force is spent when a shield breaks, bends, or dents, so an unbreakable shield could very reasonably transfer more energy to the arm than a traditional one.

Either way, if you would have succeed your block without the shield DB, then you deflected the blow rather than taking the force straight on--in those cases you shouldn't take any damage regardless of how strong your shield is.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:49 AM   #8
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
My thought exactly!

PS. It's not a Vibranium shield that deflects energy off at an improbable angle--it's just a REALLY sturdy shield. Maybe titanium diboride or some other awesome-sounding metal.
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:59 AM   #9
Nereidalbel

Apply knockback/knockdown, depending on the angle of the swing. While that first hit may not cause Injury through the shield, well, a prone target is not going to block very well.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #10
ArchonShiva

In a heroic game, I'd much rather have heroes flying off and taking damage from hitting walls or the floor, sometimes both. Effects are more interesting than HP.

If I want something more realistic, for both blocks and parries there is a point where you get hit in the face with your own shield or weapon - it's just too fast and heavy to glance off. If I needed to run this on the fly, I might say halve damage, subtract Lifting ST, and take the rest. This means no effect up to 2xST, which seems like a good "we don't usually have to worry about this" threshold - an opponent probably needs ST 40+ to even start threatening this.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakable wielder, shield, unbreakable