Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2024, 07:58 AM   #1881
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Spoiler:  


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"No, but you can probably use some help!"
A pause "If they ask to help we can take help. We not so proud as to say no. But I not going to be asking for help. They da could be trouble and vex we."


Quote:

"I dreamed about this storm and it sort of grabbed me. It was not quite like the usual way I get around. I'm kinda what you guys call a jumper, but I do it in my sleep. I've only been here since this morning... In my dream I saw your conveyor overturned, so I came looking to make sure you guys had air. I kinda get these visions about the place I'm ending up, or maybe just about the storm this time, I dunno... but I got almost all my dream stuff sorted. I still need to make sure some guys in a boat are okay, then it's on to find a god from another world who's here... His being here might be why my dreams brought me to the storm in the first place... long story.

My world doesn't have conveyors, but I met some guys called the Miracle Workers who use conveyors like yours. You have a way out but it's not with a conveyor?"
Ann: "so your a parachronazoid who has worked with the Miracle Workers. What about the dog? Is he one too?"

Her next words seem addressed to her comrades as well as Peter:

"This world is called Yirth. Its on a list of Quantum Sargassos. It draws you in and then you can't get out. The conveyor is useless here. We should destroy it and then move on. The "Secret" is incompletely out on this world: the banestorm pulls people in, so they know about other worlds, and the echo-history. They don't know about homeline. We would like to keep it that way. Its almost impossible to leave this world, so some leaked secrets aren't the worst thing possible. They also have a system to assimilate modern people into their society, and they are paranoid about technology and social change: try to keep your head down. We're going to need to ditch our guns, even the concealed ones."

"We need to get to Tedroy. That's where we can at least find friends. This is going to be hard though. I'm not trained for field-work."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 08:55 AM   #1882
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Peter worries about the aliens and islanders... Torn that several groups seem like they could use his help, but who don't want to all come together.
Quote:
A pause "If they ask to help we can take help. We not so proud as to say no. But I not going to be asking for help. They da could be trouble and vex we."
"You'll accept help of offerd? Will you offer help to them? I can be the go-between and talk to them, I bet they would say something similar. If you guys get acclimated to each other, it could be really useful in figuring stuff out and surviving here."
__________________________________________

Peter utters an "uh-huh" in acknowledgement while he scans the waterways and shores for any sign of the boat he saw... Peter wrestles with the idea that he can't help everyone as much as he'd like to... but that doesn't mean he's ready to give up.

"Goliath always comes with me... I wonder if he gets the trailers first too..."


"There's a ship that the storm brought that I saw in my visions, so there are some more people out there brought by the storm that may still need help... but I'm not sure where to look now... I think I should keep traveling along the beach to see if I can find them. There are some locals in the other direction scavenging the storm junk for hidden treasure."

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 06-04-2024 at 10:53 AM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 09:58 AM   #1883
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Peter utters an "uh-huh" in acknowledgement while he scans the waterways and shores for any sign of the boat he saw... Peter wrestles with the idea that he can't help everyone as much as he'd like to... but that doesn't mean he's ready to give up.

"Goliath always comes with me... I wonder if he gets the trailers first too..."

"There's a ship that the storm brought that I saw in my visions, so there are some more people out there brought by the storm that may still need help... but I'm not sure where to look now... I think I should keep traveling along the beach to see if I can find them. There are some locals in the other direction scavenging the storm junk for hidden treasure."
Rajat: "We'd like to stay away from the locals for a little bit. At least until we get equipped for this area. It'd be nice to not be scooped up."


Leon: "You should follow us. For Real. You're stuck. Parachronazoids get stuck here just like everyone else. But we've got to get out of here quick."



Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Peter worries about the aliens and islanders... Torn that several groups seem like they could use his help, but who don't want to all come together.

"You'll accept help of offerd? Will you offer help to them? I can be the go-between and talk to them, I bet they would say something similar. If you guys get acclimated to each other, it could be really useful in figuring stuff out and surviving here."
Tall Man: "You no tell them we need help. That bad and make them to vex us if they bad. You can take message. But you no go asking for help for we."




Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Once Everyone is introduced, Peter will suggest they go find the locals.

"I'm sure they can tell you more!"

Peter will go to the fire first and acquire the islander's native tongue to make communication clearer. If anyone asks what he's doing he will let them know and offer to give people the Vutu tongue or English to the Vutu or whatever people want.
Tall Man is quite willing to accept the Vutu language.

(Ahh, I was enjoying the islander accent)

"This is good. Now I can talk with funny people and there will be no misunderstanding me."

Torzuchi and another Vutu suddenly run up the hill, away from the beach.

Ann stops to watch as Peter works his magic. She has changed into a blue tunic and robe. The three are busy throwing things out of the conveyor, often what look like smashed electronics or mechanical gears.

Ann: "What are you doing? Do you jump via Magic or via Psi? This... looks like magic. What world are you from?"

The Rest of the Vutu show up. Chorniveebi asks Peter where Torzuchi ("The Girl you pulled out of the pod") went. And who the people in the "Strange Box" are.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 11:57 AM   #1884
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Rajat: "We'd like to stay away from the locals for a little bit. At least until we get equipped for this area. It'd be nice to not be scooped up."
"Suit yourself! They do seem to collect 'castaways' as part of their culture, so numbers can't hurt."

Quote:
Leon: "You should follow us. For Real. You're stuck. Parachronazoids get stuck here just like everyone else. But we've got to get out of here quick."
"I'm not sure that's exactly what I am... The others I met that mentioned them said they didn't get dream-previews. The ship may have to fend for itself, but there's a guy here who's people think of themselves as gods I need to find... and maybe you guys can help get him back home too. Can you help me find him first? Or can you show me where we can leave from and I'll go back and find him..."


Quote:
Tall Man: "You no tell them we need help. That bad and make them to vex us if they bad. You can take message. But you no go asking for help for we."

Tall Man is quite willing to accept the Vutu language.
"I'll just let you do your own talking then."
Quote:
Ann stops to watch as Peter works his magic. She has changed into a blue tunic and robe. The three are busy throwing things out of the conveyor, often what look like smashed electronics or mechanical gears.

Ann: "What are you doing? Do you jump via Magic or via Psi? This... looks like magic. What world are you from?"
"PSI?!? Are PSI powers real too?!?! It's magic. I'm from an Earth that doesn't have magic of it's own that I know of, but the stuff I have learned on other worlds works there. Is anyone hurt? I know how to heal too, and I have some other tricks..."

Peter creates a Karana smoke fairy that looks a lot like Tinkerbell he gives the compulsive need to frolic about entertainingly. He has it fly up to the sensory limit to have a look for ships or anything interesting from above his current point of view.

Quote:
The Rest of the Vutu show up. Chorniveebi asks Peter where Torzuchi ("The Girl you pulled out of the pod") went. And who the people in the "Strange Box" are.
"I'm not sure, she ran off to the other pods down the beach while I was getting these people free. I'm not sure where she went after that."
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 09:29 AM   #1885
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"Suit yourself! They do seem to collect 'castaways' as part of their culture, so numbers can't hurt."
Rajat: "I would prefer that my team not get 'Collected'. You may prefer that as well. Do you want some clothing to better blend in? It won't fit, but its better than that T-shirt."


Quote:
"I'm not sure that's exactly what I am... The others I met that mentioned them said they didn't get dream-previews. The ship may have to fend for itself, but there's a guy here who's people think of themselves as gods I need to find... and maybe you guys can help get him back home too. Can you help me find him first? Or can you show me where we can leave from and I'll go back and find him..."
Rajat: "I'd prefer if you respect our operation security. That said, these people who think of themselves as gods, how do you know they are here?"


Quote:
"I'll just let you do your own talking then."
"Thanks. Good."


Quote:
"PSI?!? Are PSI powers real too?!?! It's magic. I'm from an Earth that doesn't have magic of it's own that I know of, but the stuff I have learned on other worlds works there. Is anyone hurt? I know how to heal too, and I have some other tricks..."

Peter creates a Karana smoke fairy that looks a lot like Tinkerbell he gives the compulsive need to frolic about entertainingly. He has it fly up to the sensory limit to have a look for ships or anything interesting from above his current point of view.
Ann: "Yes, psi is around... some quantums have more of it than others. especially higher quantums. Or so we think. So you're a mage who jumps between worlds and picks up stuff as you travel?"


"We have no injuries, fortunately."


"Can we get the language of the bald people? And did they just pop out of pods? like seeds?"



The fairy goes up high: the process of making it is very publicly observed.



Peter sees the boat in a cove two beaches down.


Quote:
"I'm not sure, she ran off to the other pods down the beach while I was getting these people free. I'm not sure where she went after that."
Chorniveebi: "She is part of my clan. We'll find her. She'll get herself hurt wandering around."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:12 AM   #1886
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Rajat: "I would prefer that my team not get 'Collected'. You may prefer that as well. Do you want some clothing to better blend in? It won't fit, but its better than that T-shirt."
Peter will change into what's offered if it is comfortable enough ond not too restrictive.


Quote:
Rajat: "I'd prefer if you respect our operation security. That said, these people who think of themselves as gods, how do you know they are here?"
"I can kind of see things about other worlds when I'm sleeping, before I travel there. When the storm grabbed me, I saw the others who got pulled in. That's how I knew to come looking for you. Does 'operation security' mean you won't help these other people get home?"

Quote:
Ann: "Yes, psi is around... some quantums have more of it than others. especially higher quantums. Or so we think. So you're a mage who jumps between worlds and picks up stuff as you travel?"
Peter smiles... 'Mage' is pretty cool... Not quite as cool as 'lost godling' but cool.

"Higher quantums? I'm kinda fuzzy on that... Is that like, part of navigating inter-space? But yeah, I wake up in weird worlds and pick up stuff when I can."

Quote:
"Can we get the language of the bald people? And did they just pop out of pods? like seeds?"
"The pods are like escape pods... they had a big ship that crashed into the water that they all came from, they said it was from the ethereal realm." Peter grants the Vutu language (or any language they like) to anyone who wants it.
Quote:
Peter sees the boat in a cove two beaches down.
Does the ship look like it's okay? Any visible peril?
He has the fairy look around a bit more to get a lay of the land from the elevated view and see if Ink Thur;s tent is visible... it's a long shot, but it can't hurt to look.
Quote:
Chorniveebi: "She is part of my clan. We'll find her. She'll get herself hurt wandering around."
"Looks like she has a few more of your people from the pods further down the beach... So she will have some help."
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 08:42 AM   #1887
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Peter will change into what's offered if it is comfortable enough ond not too restrictive.
Its certainly not restrictive, and its comfortable enough.

Quote:
"I can kind of see things about other worlds when I'm sleeping, before I travel there. When the storm grabbed me, I saw the others who got pulled in. That's how I knew to come looking for you. Does 'operation security' mean you won't help these other people get home?"
Rajat: "Yes. We can't take them home now. They're not from homeline. Or any other world with jumping. They'll cause utter chaos if we take them home, or they'll be regarded as crazy. And I'm not sure that we could get them all the way to Tedroy anyways. However far away that is. We won't really get our bearings until we're far away from the storm and thus the pickup area."

Quote:
"Higher quantums? I'm kinda fuzzy on that... Is that like, part of navigating inter-space? But yeah, I wake up in weird worlds and pick up stuff when I can."
Ann: "Miracle workers must not have explained it to you. The multiverse is built in 'quantums', sets of worlds that are 'closer' to each other than others. You can't cross quantums without great power, skill or difficulty. So you've probably never left this quantum. Huh. what quantum was Yrth again?"
She starts looking at her phone, searching for something.

"Quantum five." She looks confused. "You've probably only ever seen quantum five. Its got some psi."
She stares at the phone again, scowling.

Quote:
"The pods are like escape pods... they had a big ship that crashed into the water that they all came from, they said it was from the ethereal realm." Peter grants the Vutu language (or any language they like) to anyone who wants it.
Ann: "The Etherial Realm? I'll have to trade them for something so we can analyze it when we get home."


Quote:
Does the ship look like it's okay? Any visible peril?
Its cast aground, with no visible peril. Unless you count Vutu pods.


Quote:
He has the fairy look around a bit more to get a lay of the land from the elevated view and see if Ink Thur;s tent is visible... it's a long shot, but it can't hurt to look.
He can't see the tent... but he can see a spot that looks like it might have been where the tent was.



Quote:

"Looks like she has a few more of your people from the pods further down the beach... So she will have some help."
Chorniveebi: "She'll just get all of them killed too."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 09:59 AM   #1888
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Miracle workers must not have explained it to you.
I overheard some people talking about 'quanta' and someplace called Centrum, but I didn't get details. They didn't explain much. it was mostly unpaid child-labor, secrets, and abandonment in the jungle before arresting me for being a security threat.

How far off is the tent site?

Peter wonders if he can grab Ink-Thur's attention with his Yaka Voice... can he project a word that isn't a command to take advantage of its magical 'volume'?

"Ink-Thur!"

Quote:
Chorniveebi: "She'll just get all of them killed too."
Peter isn't sure how to respond to this...
"Because she's young? let's hope not! I do okay! and it looks like there are more pods down the beach, by the way. "

Peter's concerns run rampant....
The Vutu... What will they do without someone to help them bridge the cultural divide...
The ship... Do they have any idea what they've gotten into yet? Will the Vutu try and take it to look for their vessel?
The homeliners... Will Peter be able to leave here if he doesn't go with them?
Ink Thur... does it do any good to find him if they can't leave?

Peter will try and convince the Homeliners to come with him to go to the tent site and try and track where they may have gone. As long as it is increasing their distance from the storm, it should suit their purposes.

He will describe the skerry with the Broken Sky to see if they have heard of it and try to talk them into giving Ink-Thur a lift if we can find him.


EDIT: Peter will tell the islanders where the boat is... they may want to team up!

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 06-08-2024 at 12:02 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 10:06 AM   #1889
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I overheard some people talking about 'quanta' and someplace called Centrum, but I didn't get details. They didn't explain much. it was mostly unpaid child-labor, secrets, and abandonment in the jungle before arresting me for being a security threat.

Rajat: "You sure they were miracle workers and not swagmen?"


"Conmen I mean. People trying to make money off the out-timers."


"Who tried to arrest you?"



Quote:
How far off is the tent site?
Half a mile, maybe a quarter mile?
Quote:
Peter wonders if he can grab Ink-Thur's attention with his Yaka Voice... can he project a word that isn't a command to take advantage of its magical 'volume'?

"Ink-Thur!"
His physical voice isn't any louder... he certainly produced at least some magical effect though. Maybe the god heard him.

Quote:
Peter isn't sure how to respond to this...
"Because she's young? let's hope not! I do okay! and it looks like there are more pods down the beach, by the way. "
Chorniveebi: "because she's splitting the group. There is safety in numbers. But she's running off and taking other people with her."


Quote:
Peter will try and convince the Homeliners to come with him to go to the tent site and try and track where they may have gone. As long as it is increasing their distance from the storm, it should suit their purposes.
What arguments will he give? Why should they care about the tent site? Just staying with him while they increase distance? anything else?


Quote:
He will describe the skerry with the Broken Sky to see if they have heard of it and try to talk them into giving Ink-Thur a lift if we can find him.
Leon: "I've never heard of such a place." He searches on his phone. "Yeah, no records. At least at this clearance level. "Do you figure these people will be able to help? Do you have any reason to trust them?"


Quote:
Peter will tell the islanders where the boat is... they may want to team up!
Noted
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 11:00 AM   #1890
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Rajat: "You sure they were miracle workers and not swagmen?"


"Conmen I mean. People trying to make money off the out-timers."


"Who tried to arrest you?"

"They didn't say who they were, some kind of miracle worker security maybe? But they said they were turning the miracle worker I was with in to the 'ICOPS' for helping me, and they said I was a threat to homeline. I think because they thought I was lying about being able to travel to other worlds and thought I was a spy or something... Which I'm not! (Or I wouldn't be telling you this, obviously)"



Quote:
His physical voice isn't any louder... he certainly produced at least some magical effect though. Maybe the god heard him.
As I expected.
It was mentioned that the Voice was exceptionally prominent to Peter's magic sense, and that Yaka users could detect it without his sense as some distance, so he's trying to take advantage of the peculiarity.

(Much like manipulating other smoke with Karana, I'm trying to benefit from side effects...)

Quote:
Chorniveebi: "because she's splitting the group. There is safety in numbers. But she's running off and taking other people with her."
Peter shrugs.


"I get the impression she doesn't like you much."



Quote:
What arguments will he give? Why should they care about the tent site? Just staying with him while they increase distance? anything else?


Leon: "I've never heard of such a place." He searches on his phone. "Yeah, no records. At least at this clearance level. "Do you figure these people will be able to help? Do you have any reason to trust them?"

"I'm kind of the people's emissary to their gods and they've been waiting to hear what he's found out, so I'd like to get his report at least if we can't help him get where he belongs. He is bound to have lots of information on those worlds, and that could be valuable to you."
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.