Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2022, 09:52 AM   #1
stranger38

Default DF Rocket launcher

Hello my frens (i know it's a typo, just in the mood for some web slangs)

We're playing a DF game game and one of the guys is a goblin denolisher and we're trying to make a freaking rocket launcher just like in the berserk manga. Do help me out.

First, no innate attacks simulating this, we want a true equipment.

Here's what i can gather from the manga: the warhead has two parts: the propeller and the actual explosive warhead. The explosice is black powder, serpentine.

https://berserk.fandom.com/wiki/Rock...s_launcher.png

Here's the weapon. Shooting at a foe with the diffuse advantage.

I know the damage won't be as highfrenan actual rocket.

My idea was something between 3d and 5d at most.
stranger38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:23 AM   #2
Michael Thayne

Default Re: DF Rocket launcher

Low-Tech covers the sort of rockets used in 13th century China, which based on the linked illustration seems to be what you're going for. Their stats are quite modest, 2d+2 cr ex, Acc 0, in addition to being treated like wild swings (B388) in spite of being ranged attacks.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:45 AM   #3
Varyon

Rickert is a cinematic gadgeteer in a roughly TL 4 setting, so I'd treat anything he makes as at least TL 4, which I believe is Improved Corned Powder (Serpentine is TL 2, Corned is TL 3, IIRC); adjust damage compared to the Chinese rockets (which I believe did use serpentine) accordingly. Note also his weapon uses a flintlock mechanism (TL 4) to ignite the rocket. It may have Acc 1, and probably doesn't count as using a Wild Swing, although I think the only case in which he used it was at fairly short range. It's pretty clearly meant to be akin to a TL 4 bazooka.

That's if trying to match Rickert's weapon, of course. If you just want a low-tech rocket launcher, the Chinese rockets will probably suffice.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:10 PM   #4
Phil Masters

I think a Dungeon Fantasy demolisher, presumably with gadgeteer, would definitely tend to the TL4 cinematic… If a realistic, lower-tech device manages a 2d+2 explosion, going to 4d or even 5d inc cr ex wouldn’t be too unreasonable. It’s hardly a game-wrecker, after all; you probably only get one shot per fight, and a wizard with Explosive Fireball can do the same.

(In fact, I might make a point of giving it slightly better Acc and range than a magical explosive fireball, to compensate the demolisher for being a one-shot wonder if the party has a wizard.)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:24 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Rickert is a cinematic gadgeteer in a roughly TL 4 setting, so I'd treat anything he makes as at least TL 4, which I believe is Improved Corned Powder (Serpentine is TL 2, Corned is TL 3, IIRC); .
Nope, even the earliest chinese fireworks powder is TL3. Even serpentine is very late TL3. Corned powder is TL4. The leader of the Spanish Armada (1588/TL4) was proud that all of his ships had corned musket powder instead of serpentine for their cannons. Improved black powder is TL5. I'm not quite sure what "improved corned" would be.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Nope, even the earliest chinese fireworks powder is TL3. Even serpentine is very late TL3. Corned powder is TL4. The leader of the Spanish Armada (1588/TL4) was proud that all of his ships had corned musket powder instead of serpentine for their cannons. Improved black powder is TL5. I'm not quite sure what "improved corned" would be.
Ah, I was going off memory, and it failed me. "Improved corned powder" was me misremembering the name for "improved black powder," and of course I had an "off by 1" error on the TL of black powder's introduction.

That said, Rickert using TL5 powder wouldn't be inappropriate. I believe the miniature bombs he gave to Gotz were specifically noted to be more powerful than contemporary bombs, at least for their small size.
Old 03-25-2022, 02:47 PM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Low-Tech covers the sort of rockets used in 13th century China, which based on the linked illustration seems to be what you're going for.
Those are long-distance bombardment weapons. Detonating the warhead seems to be done by a time-fuse. That's a bit more awkward at indoors ranges, so tipping the rocket with some Alchemist's Fire seems desirable.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:59 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Why wouldn't it be shattersand?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 03:51 PM   #9
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I think johndallman meant using a small amount of alchemist's fire as an igniter for the black powder, as alchemist's fire is self-igniting on contact with air.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 03:56 PM   #10
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
(a) I'd forgotten about that and (b) it doesn't seem to be impact-sensitive, since the weapons that use it are ignited by alchemist's matches.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungen fantasy, explosives