Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #21
Appletoe

Default Re: Knockback, Weight, Armour and low ST

Arm and striking ST could be used to represent a pixie with magically enhanced strength. Also, are there really one tonne robots with 2 ST?
Appletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #22
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinlay View Post
Not really true. Perhaps most personal weaponry doesn't, but many attacks designed to do knockback, often with no wounding, such as shoves, pressurized water jets, etc. should definitely do knockback and at least without rewriting how those work, need to piggyback on the knockback rules.
They should be rewritten. You won't lose anything by trashing the knockback rules.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #23
T.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinlay View Post
I'm sorry. I was really tired when I posted the OP and did miss these things. As for the "if not resisting, use HP" thing, that's really weird, since HP is often higher than ST. Can I choose not to resist knockback in order to boost my knockback resistance? Additionally, the 0 ST causes a similar problem where the 1 ST, 10 HP creature resists knockback 8 times worse than if he were unable to exert force and had his ST dropped to 0.
No, you cannot choose to not resist. Much like you cannot choose to resist a Healing spell cast at you. Or as you still make a HT Resistance roll even if you're unconscious.

If the creature has ST 1 instead of 0, there's a very meaningful reason for that and that's exactly why the 8x difference happen.

A ST-1 creature is almost guaranteed to be physical and have a physical body of sorts. That's QUITE significantly different from a ST-0 creature, that will most probably be a massless, bodyless thing.

At the end of the day it's a game and as such, it needs to compromise a bit for practicality in the rules against exact representation in all brakes and points...
It's the same as having a problem with a HP-19 guy being short 1 measly HP point of doubling his regen/cure or the fact that we measure combat in subsequent turns when in reality all happens simultaneously.

We do it so we can track it and game it. That's what it boils down to.
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #24
Bruno

The thing this first came up on for me was Skull Spirits, who have ST 0. We'd missed the part about HP, and the mage rolled very well on his Air Jet, and I ended up just handwaving the spirit getting knocked off somewhere uninteresting (they were outside). Basically DIV BY ZERO and the skull spirit crashed :)

There's other things about that template that bother me though (it's SM -4, but it doesn't have Flight, No legs (Hovers), or really anything else that explains how it gets around. Looking at its character sheet, either it's a creepy skull on two little legs about the net size of my cat, or it's cheating.)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #25
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
There's other things about that template that bother me though (it's SM -4, but it doesn't have Flight, No legs (Hovers), or really anything else that explains how it gets around. Looking at its character sheet, either it's a creepy skull on two little legs about the net size of my cat, or it's cheating.)
In my campaign, they hopped around, like Joker's hopping fake teeth traps.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged

Should monsters called X Spirits really act like mechanical silliness?
I would laugh at the very idea of spirits falling off cliffs, because they don't have some form of magical movement.
"I tricked that creepy Will-o-wisp in the fog. It's going to take it hours to find the path back up here."
Old 08-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #27
Bruno

We went with it because our campaigns tend toward slightly surreal anyways, and the mood that has been building has already come off the rails when I went to check their move and found the surprise
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, knockback