Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2022, 12:55 PM   #1
Plane

Default examples of Follow-Up modifier paired with Carrier advantage?

I don't always have an instinct for how to design these in a beneficial way, so I was checking book for examples of these and figuring out how it would work differently from an alternative like just having Link+10% for example.

B105 defines Follow-Up as a penetration modifier meaning it is the only one an attack can have. It mentions the "carrier" it is paired with can have them.

So what I figure is the advantage here is to buy enhancements (advantageous penetration modifiers) on a carrier. You wouldn't want to take disadvantageous limitations on a carrier like 'blood agent' or 'contact agent' because that would defeat the purpose of a carrier: to make it easier for the Follow-Up to the Carrier to ignore Damage Resistance.

So you could do stuff like "armor divisor" on a cheap thing like Small Piercing, and not need to purchase Armor Divisor on an expensive thing like Toxic Attack?

Examples get weird though, like P143's "Mental Blow" uses a Fatigue Attack as a carrier for an Affliction...

Fatigue Attack 1d and Affliction 1 both have the same base cost (10pts) so the only difference in cost I can see is you don't need to pay the +10% for Link on each of them.

As far as I can tell, advantage to taking Link+10% and Malediction2 +150% separately is that your Affliction will always ignore DR in this case, instead of only ignoring it when the carrier penetrates DR.

Normally the carrier always penetrates DR (it's a malediction) but the introduction of Malediction-Proof DR in Psionic Powers basically seems to create a niche for Link+10% designs?

Especially since you could make that even cheaper by making that DR "Fatigue Only" specifically to counter Fatigue Attack carriers?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carrier, damage resistance, fatigue attack, follow-up, link