Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
smurf
Banned

Default Re: [Powers] Triple+ Knockback Enhancement

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
'Acrobatic kicks' do not give dkb. The only mention of acrobatic kicks is the perk that allows someone with abrobatics to kick with that skill. I think you are thinking of push kick.

All shoves, whether it is with Push, A sumo wrestling shove or push kick, get double knockback. That is not a feature of Push as a skill, but of shoving in general. What Push does is allow a fighter use the higher of your ST or your Push skill as your effective ST and then roll swing damage for that ST.

I suppose you could use push kick with the Push skill. But the only benefit over a regular push would be if you targeted the legs or something similar.
I'm sure there was a Push Kick that converted damage to kb, and Push skill which converted to kb, which gives you triple kb.

Now Forceful blows embuement... I'm going to have to investigate this, maybe little missy and her Push 16 skill can push Kick the bully a long way and no one will suspect that little missy could have done that.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
aesir23

Quote:
I suppose you could use push kick with the Push skill. But the only benefit over a regular push would be if you targeted the legs or something similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Martial Arts pg 59
For shove-like techniques, use Push's special Knockback-only damage instead of the usual roll. These benefits affect Push Kick [...]
A high Push skill is the best way to knockback only in (without Powers) GURPS Raw. Forceful Blows is the best way to do knockback and damage
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #13
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
I'm sure there was a Push Kick that converted damage to kb, and Push skill which converted to kb, which gives you triple kb.
No. Push skill gives you swing dmg instead of thr for the knockback. It doesn't give 'triple' knockback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
A high Push skill is the best way to knockback only in (without Powers) GURPS Raw. Forceful Blows is the best way to do knockback and damage
What I meant was that there is no real benefit to doing a push kick with the Push skill instead of just a regular Push with the Push skill, unless you target the legs or something similar (or your hands are occupied). Though I guess the added yard of reach is another good reason.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
aesir23

Quote:
What I meant was that there is no real benefit to doing a push kick with the Push skill instead of just a regular Push with the Push skill, unless you target the legs or something similar (or your hands are occupied). Though I guess the added yard of reach is another good reason.
Hmmm, I think I'll have to design a character around Push, Push Kick, and a reach 1-2 weapon some time.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Snaps

So what about double knockback and rapid fire?

If I have a 10d attack with rapid fire and hit you with 10 shots, each doing 40 points of damage, doubled to 80 for double knockback, does that mean you take 800 knockback and go flying back 100 yards? (If you are an average sized guy).

I guess with collision damage that's only 10d (10 HP * 100 /100) or 20d if you hit a hard surface. Still, you could get this attack pretty cheap with no wounding or blunt trauma and you are rolling at -100 to not fall down.
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #16
Psychotime

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
(BTW, you can enhance/limit some instead of all levels of an attack, if the GM is okay with it).
Maybe I haven't given it enough thought, but how would you do that with something like knockback? It doesn't even make sense.

That seems like something you do with link instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Heck, you could build an attack that was 20d crushing dkb, with nw on 18d of that. Does 2d of real damage, 40d of knockback damage. POW right outa the park.
Oh, that I get.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #17
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
Maybe I haven't given it enough thought, but how would you do that with something like knockback? It doesn't even make sense.

That seems like something you do with link instead.

Example:
4 levels with dbk
6 levels without dbk

Solution a)
Get two sets of dice, 4 in one colour, 6 in the other. Roll, total separately, resolve knockback damage, sum real damage, apply to DR etc. Remember that knockback is handled before DR, not afterwards ;)

Solution b)
You only have one set of dice. Roll dbk dice first, sum and note the total, roll nondbk dice second, sum and note the total. Proceed as if Solution a).

This is how we handle weird mixed dice situations in D&D where some of the dice can be rerolled if they come up 1s and some can't, or some are one damage type and some are typeless, or other mixed effect situations.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knockback, push