Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2020, 06:23 AM   #231
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Alright, let's go after Deck 13 first.

Administration to find a time when no one in transportation is scheduled to come by:

Research to find a suitable distracting activity close to the storage:

Hm... Could I find a "floor cleaned sign" or something to put up around area so nobody (or at least fewer people) come that way while I'm trying to pick the lock? Scrounging to find?
"Floor Cleaned" sounds like good cover, and it will let you react appropriately if someone stops by.

What about Timing and Botha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Okay, but how about Compulsive Behaviour (12) (Starting fires) [-15] and Delusion (I started those fires for fun and they got out of control) [-5]. As far as Day is concerned, he doesn't need to have Jakorbi sympathies, this is an added distraction for the powers that be.
Quote:
4 + 1 + 6 = 11
That'll work! he fails his resistance roll, and you don't think they noticed what you were doing. You make it back to Pothi.

What mischief will you get into between now and the next meeting on Friday? You said you were going to wait for Hua to get her powers online before trying to steal a weapon...
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #232
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Floor Cleaned" sounds like good cover, and it will let you react appropriately if someone stops by.

What about Timing and Botha?
ASAP. Preferably in a timespot where transport isn't going to head by (though this is irrelevant if transport doesn't serve these areas after launch).

Botha; I think the extra gear storage is between D and E. If I could find an activity in the area, I could feign sickness and make like I'm going to the washroom, and then slip over to storage on the other side of the mess... Depends what where the activity I find on Deck 13 is.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #233
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
ASAP. Preferably in a timespot where transport isn't going to head by (though this is irrelevant if transport doesn't serve these areas after launch).

Botha; I think the extra gear storage is between D and E. If I could find an activity in the area, I could feign sickness and make like I'm going to the washroom, and then slip over to storage on the other side of the mess... Depends what where the activity I find on Deck 13 is.

Floor 13 is very much an "Active" Floor, being the top level of the general quarters, so transport coming by is the least of your worries... though I suppose few others will recognize you. You will run into someone.



The bathrooms have two doors, though they are next to each other. Botha is the sort of stick-in-the-mud that will stay just outside of the door while you make a big deal about being sick. What specifically are you faking?


You'll need an acting roll to fake the illness, and stealth at -2 or some other appropriate skill to sneak past Botha while she thinks you're in the bathroom.



You've then got to go 10 levels down, pick the lock (-4 to skill, 1 minute per attempt), find the item (perception roll, 1 minute if succeeding by 0, less if by more), and get back 10 levels up and get back into the bathroom (which will require more stealth).
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #234
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
What specifically are you faking?
Eh... Let's say constipation. At least there won't be any evidence.

--

OK, let's roll:
Acting to fake the disease:
Quote:
[134] 20-10-28 16:21:15 CET
Acting
3d6 <= 0 16
5 + 3 + 3 = 11 ... failure success
Stealth-2 to slip past Botha:
Quote:
[135] 20-10-28 16:23:32 CET
Stealth - 2
3d6 <= 16
2 + 4 + 4 = 10 ... success
Scrounging to find a "floor cleaning" sign
Quote:
[136] 20-10-28 16:24:11 CET
Scrounging
3d6 <= 10
1 + 2 + 2 = 5 ... success
Fast Talk anyone who sees me
Quote:
[137] 20-10-28 16:24:31 CET
Fast-Talk
3d6 <= 13
4 + 6 + 2 = 12 ... success
Lockpicking-4 on the door
Quote:
[138] 20-10-28 16:26:07 CET
Lockpicking
3d6 <= 10
1 + 3 + 4 = 8 ... success
Perception to search the room
Quote:
[139] 20-10-28 16:27:58 CET
Perception
3d6 <= 14
1 + 2 + 3 = 6 ... success
I considered barreling on to the return trip, but I'd like to know whether or not I actually found it, concluded it wasn't there, how much, etc. before making my next move.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #235
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Eh... Let's say constipation. At least there won't be any evidence.

OK, let's roll:
And roll well!


Quote:
Acting to fake the disease:
Stealth-2 to slip past Botha:
Scrounging to find a "floor cleaning" sign
Fast Talk anyone who sees me
Lockpicking-4 on the door
Perception to search the room
Hua fakes her illness, and then while Botha is talking to someone else in the hall, slips out the other door and into the hall. She's timed her visit well: the folks in the nearest mess are eating rather than wandering about. She was actually assigned floor cleaning duty earlier today (Transport gets assigned all the crappy jobs) and has her sign ready on floor 13 (entering an elevator with that sign alone is suspicious, because no one is in a hurry to clean a floor). Her strait posture and brisk looks tell the people who slow her decent through the ship that she is on an important job! She grabs the sign, sets it up, and goes to work on the lock. The door doesn't put up too much of a fight. She quickly is able to determine this is NOT where the filler is: she finds the spot for the backup medical supplies, and a notice above it indicates that this is an inappropriate place to store medicine that requires additional processing... and it tells her which of the two medical lockers the filler will be in.


Its been maybe four minutes.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #236
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
And it tells her which of the two medical lockers the filler will be in.
Well, I'm making good time so far, so on to the medical locker!

What kind of Holdout penalty would the sign have? Barring reusing the sign, could I use Fast-Talk supplemented by Hazardous Materials and throw bafflegab about looking for dangerous leaks at anyone who hassles me?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #237
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, I'm making good time so far, so on to the medical locker!

What kind of Holdout penalty would the sign have? Barring reusing the sign, could I use Fast-Talk supplemented by Hazardous Materials and throw bafflegab about looking for dangerous leaks at anyone who hassles me?
Hold out penalty for a sign? That looks like a -5.



Sure, you can use Hazardous Materials and fast talk... but be aware that the ship is full of technicians of one sort or another.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #238
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
What mischief will you get into between now and the next meeting on Friday? You said you were going to wait for Hua to get her powers online before trying to steal a weapon...
Daymar is looking for any hints of how much time they have left to get control of the ship. Can I make a Savoir-Faire roll to determine how he would go about doing that?
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #239
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Hold out penalty for a sign? That looks like a -5.
Hua decides to stash it under her shirt somehow:
Quote:
[140] 20-10-29 00:55:48 CET
Holdout
3d6 <= 12 6 + 5 + 2 = 13 ... failure
Well this could be trouble.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #240
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Daymar is looking for any hints of how much time they have left to get control of the ship. Can I make a Savoir-Faire roll to determine how he would go about doing that?
For determining technique to use I'd prefer a roll against solider... I rolled for you and got a 14.

Your training suggests the following methods for determining the location and mission (and thus timing) of the ship you are on:

As you are a control-based telepath, the most reliable method is to "suggest" someone who knows for sure. The senior officers and senior navigational NCO's both know this, but training suggests targeting navigational NCO's over officers (less risk, more exposure). You need some method to get close, doctrine suggests carousing your way into their circle during off-hours or assisting in a convenient task nearby navigation. Or even a fabricated one: marching into navigation, having a quick private conversation with a navigator, and marching out is not generally suspicious unless frequently repeated.

There is a busy rumor mill about this on every ship. Carousing is generally the usual skill for gathering those rumors. Daymar has a bet on first shot fired, and thus an unusually good cover and an icebreaker for talking about the subject.

If you are part of the Motive section and have Navigation (Hyperspace) (you do), you can try and calculate the rough parameters of the jump, as well as a guess at the general direction of the route.

Strategy(Space) and Intelligence Analysis would enhance the ability to process rumors and navigation data, but your small team doesn't include those skills.

We probably should have had some sort of skill along the lines of "Expert skill (Dreadstorming)" or even soldier (Dreadstormer) that reflects how well you absorbed training in the procedures of how to take an enemy ship. As opposed to soldier(Zorbani Navy). But hindsight is 20/20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Hua decides to stash it under her shirt somehow:
FAIL BY 1!

Well this could be trouble.
Hua is in the lift from level 13 to 11 when a pair of medical personnel get on. One of them looks her up and down, then whispers something to his buddy.

fortunately, the quarters for the security personnel are on the floor they just left.

Both you and them are planning to get off on deck 11, block C.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.