Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2022, 01:05 PM   #1
Belisar

Default Any difference between 4e Basic Set 6th and 7th printing?

I own the 2016 Basic Set which is the 6th printing. Now I stumbled upon a thread which mentions the 2020 7th printing has added content. If this is the case, is the added content worth to get this 7th printing in addition?
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:44 PM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Any difference between 4e Basic Set 6th and 7th printing?

you can find a list of the changes here :

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=16
and
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=10

The main additions are the boxes about “Complementary Skills”, "Team Works" and the advantage gunslinger rewrite (also the First aid skill description is clearer).
None of them are very long, perhaps half a page all together.

You can find the “Complementary Skills”, "Team Works" and "gunslinger" rewrite in Pyramid 3.70 article ten for ten, if you don't want to buy the basic set again just for them. (as well as several other little bits from later books that Kromm feel would have been worthy of being in the Basic set if they had thought of them in 2004.

The 3 rules can also be found in various books of the Action and DF line, if you have those.

Last edited by Celjabba; 05-10-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:15 PM   #3
Belisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
you can find a list of the changes here :

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=16
and
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=10

The main additions are the boxes about “Complementary Skills”, "Team Works" and the advantage gunslinger rewrite (also the First aid skill description is clearer).
None of them are very long, perhaps half a page all together.

You can find the “Complementary Skills”, "Team Works" and "gunslinger" rewrite in Pyramid 3.70 article ten for ten, if you don't want to buy the basic set again just for them. (as well as several other little bits from later books that Kromm feel would have been worthy of being in the Basic set if they had thought of them in 2004.

The 3 rules can also be found in various books of the Action and DF line, if you have those.
Thank you very much for the info. To cover future prints and support GURPS I will get the pdfs of the basic set.
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:42 AM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisar View Post
I own the 2016 Basic Set which is the 6th printing. Now I stumbled upon a thread which mentions the 2020 7th printing has added content. If this is the case, is the added content worth to get this 7th printing in addition?
makes me feel old relying on the 3rd printing from feb 2008

any chance they might do a PDF of updates sorta like Palladium did for updates they made to the 1st printing of Rifts Ultimate in https://palladiumbooks.com/images/Do...RUE_Eratta.pdf ?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:12 PM   #5
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
any chance they might do a PDF of updates sorta like Palladium did for updates they made to the 1st printing of Rifts Ultimate in https://palladiumbooks.com/images/Do...RUE_Eratta.pdf ?
Given that they won't even release an official list of errata on their website (so users are forced to run text comparison programs to learn what actually changed), I strongly suspect the answer is no.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:58 PM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Given that they won't even release an official list of errata on their website (so users are forced to run text comparison programs to learn what actually changed), I strongly suspect the answer is no.
They used to... http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/

just doesn't seem to have been updated since 2015
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #7
Fazer

I was curious which version of the Basic books I had so I checked and was surprised that they’re second printing from 2005. I considered just buying new books to get all the updates but was surprised by the current prices. Checked my original order and I paid $27 for Characters and $23 for Campaigns. Now they’re $54 and $40. Granted, I bought mine 17 years ago, but inflation alone wouldn’t explain the price doubling. Is there lots of additional content? Some other explanation? I might just update mine by going through all the errata.
Fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:01 AM   #8
dcarson

Printing costs have gone up noticeably faster than inflation in general.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:42 AM   #9
Lovewyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazer View Post
I was curious which version of the Basic books I had so I checked and was surprised that they’re second printing from 2005. I considered just buying new books to get all the updates but was surprised by the current prices. Checked my original order and I paid $27 for Characters and $23 for Campaigns. Now they’re $54 and $40. Granted, I bought mine 17 years ago, but inflation alone wouldn’t explain the price doubling. Is there lots of additional content? Some other explanation? I might just update mine by going through all the errata.
While digging through IP stuff regarding GURPS a few months ago (cause I'm writing a fan supplement for a piece of media using GURPSLite ) I came across something regarding 'printing out something' at a copy shop if you have a receipt.

I can't find the URL to that page right now (maybe someone (the mods?) know)
But...if I remember the contents correctly, and someone is indeed allowed to print out GURPS material at a copyshop using a proof of purchase:
Then maybe SJG can offer errata page downloads for some small token price, which you can then print yourself and glue onto the physical pages of the old books?

Not sure if layout lines up, but if it does, then maybe that would be a decent solution?
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:00 PM   #10
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
regarding 'printing out something' at a copy shop if you have a receipt...

I can't find the URL to that page right now (maybe someone (the mods?) know)
It's in the Warehouse 23 Digital Downloads FAQ.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote