Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #11
Acolyte

Default Re: Heb Rhoneniel

Jim Davies was surprised by the knocking on his boat's hull. Heaven's Lion was a popular whale-watching craft, but at this time of night? Only after he checked the empty pier did he realize the sound came from the waterline.

"Yes?" called the Saint of Animals.

"Permission to come aboard?"

Reasoning that an assaulting demon would probably not have asked first, Jim assented, and when the dripping figure made it on board, he rushed forward and grabbed him a bear hug. "O'Neill! It's great to see you!"

The naked man hugged him back awkwardly, then rubbed his temples. "Please."

Jim grinned. "Sorry. Heb Rhoneniel, I am glad to see that you are well. I have missed your company."

"Thank you. My life without you is less...fun?" The Seraph pondered for a moment. "Yes. Less fun."

"Glad to hear it." Jim clapped the angel on the back. "Would you like some clothes?"

Together they headed belowdecks. "I would not. But clothes are necessary to facilitate useful interaction with most humans."

Jim laughed again. "I thought you would be off the coast of Japan now, patrolling in case Foynzac was stirring up trouble." Jim fished out a serviceable outfit for his old friend.

"Others of the Most Holy are on patrol. My presence only serves to antagonize the Demon of Whaling." The Seraph showed a rare smile while putting his arms into the arms of a sweater. "But the Wild Many has sent me back."

"Wh--" Seeing the look on the Seraph's face, Jim nodded. "Divine Plan. Right. Well, you're welcome here as long as you like."

"Thank you. Is my recording equipment still--"

"Of course." Jim, resting against a bulkhead with one foot up to brace against the opposite wall (not that the ship rocked much in port, but old habits die hard), began to pack a pipe. "It really is great to see you, you know that?"

The Seraph reached out and touched his first human friend on the shoulder. "I do. I would like a smoke as well."

Together, they went up on deck and smoked, talking long into a night lit only by the dim embers of their pipes and the radiant skyline of San Francisco.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
rknop

Default The first meeting

The sundry angels assemble in Golden Gate park, in a small open field enclosed on all sides by trees, with a small walkway leading to the field. There are a smattering of picnic tables about the field. The agnels gravitate towards two tables that are near each other. Some of them may have met before, but most of them are unfamiliar with each other. Knowing that they're all there for a purpose, they wait patiently. It's a pleasant June 4 afternoon. This being San Francisco, it's not hot, but it's sunny, and warm.

They do not have to wait long before they notice two things. First, the hubbub of the city and the park faded out; it's as if they were no longer in a park in the middle of a city, nor in the middle of a park visited routinely by many, especially in the summer when some kids are already out of school.

The second thing they notice is a young woman's voice saying, "Welcome, friends."

Turning, they see three figures before them, all of whom they immediately recognize. One is Novalis, the Archangel of Flowers. She appears as a young woman, wearing a sarong and a loose shirt, with long blond hair that has flowers weaved into it. Another is a tall woman in beige slacks, a light blue shirt, a a white cardigan sweater: Zadkiel, the archangel of protection. The third was a large African lion, with a magnificent mane, sitting clamly, but looking rather large and threatening being there all of a sudden in the middle of a public park. While the angels could only speculate where the lion himself came from, they were able to immediately perceive that it was serving as a host for Jordi, the Archangel of Flowers.

Novalis continues, similing broadly. "Thank you all for coming! It's so great to see you all. I know some of you haven't met each other, and I hope you'll all introduce yourselves in a few minutes. But, first, I want to make sure you all understand why we've called you together.

"Each of you is a very important angel, more powerful than the average Servitor, and one who has earned the trust of one of us."

With a brief pause, Novalis looks at Baz, and says, "Well, Baz, you haven't worked with us yet, but we've heard great things about you and think you'll be a great help!"

The archangel goes on. Her face assumes a more grim aspect. "The issue, as most of you know by now, is Eli. As you know, a bit more than fifty years ago, he left Heaven, and has been wandering-- aimlessly, as far as any of us can tell-- around Earth ever since. This made some of our more rigid fellow archangels angry right away, but most of the rest of us shrugged, and figured, hey, he wanted to immerse himself in the blossoming creativity of humanity as this last century encourged more and more godly individualism."

"However, as time went on, we all began to get more worried. He stayed away. Now, most of you understand that fifty years is not a very long time for an archangel... but the pace of human society is accelerating, and the shape of the War has changed more in the last fifty years than in any hundred years previously. Remember that it was centuries of debate and discussion between the Eden experiment and the Fall!"

"As many of you have doubtless heard, Eli hasn't been talking to other archangels, except when he runs into one of us coincidentally at a party. And, then, he won't talk business. When he meets with his servitors, they often report that he's 'not all there'-- that he seems distracted, distant, confused."

"It's gotten worse in the last eight or ten years. I haven't seen him at all myself in that time, and I still do like to go to parties. Lilith also reports not having seen him in that time, if she can be believed, and she's almost as much of a partier as Eli used to be. As far as we can tell, it's getting harder for those servitors he didn't assign to somebody else to contact him, and he's been even more distracted and out of it when they do talk to him."

"What really prompted the three of us, though, to gather you folks together is that Dominic has announced that he's going to be stepping up is investigation of Eli. He and Laurence have long believed that Eli is guilty at least of abandoning his duties. Dominic has become ever more convinced that Eli is skirting a fall, or is guilty of heresy similar to what the Grigori were exiled for millenia ago."

Novalis sighs. "Zadkiel, Jordi, and myself want to give Eli the benefit of the doubt. That's why we are send you forth as our agents. Try to find Eli. Talk to his servitors. Follow any clues you find. Your goals are twofold. First, find out just what it is that Eli is up to... and help him accomplish it, or tell us what he's up to so we can help him. Second, make sure he knows what is going on in Heaven, and do your best to protect him and his servitors from any overly harsh action on the part of Judgement."

Novalis stops, and gives each one of you a penetrating look.

"I know this is a huge burden we're placing on you," Novalis says. "But we have faith in you."

"Once you go forth, we're going to expect you to be able to trust your own instincts and to follow this as far as you can yourselves. Obviously, if there is something that the three of us MUST know, contact us, but we have chosen you-- capable angels whom we trust-- to do this so that we would not have to micromanage it."

"So, now is your chance. We're here for you right now. Do you have any questions, or any discussion about the mission, or about Eli in general?"
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
Dalillama

Default Re: [IC] In Nomine -- The Redemption of Eli

Baz raises a hand. "If I may, I think that his last known location would be a good place to start looking. Have you any reports more recently that you have seen him, Bright Lady?"
His vessel is tall and lanky, skin pale where it's not covered by a light fuzz of dark beard. His dark brown hair is shoulder length and somewhat shaggy, and he wears battered jeans and a tshirt reading "Python, Vim and Arch Linux: The Best things in life are FREE."
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #14
Acolyte

After that question is answered, Heb Rhoneniel speaks without first raising a hand or asking for permission. "What if the fears of Judgment and the Sword prove well-founded?" he asks, voice slow and deep. He then adds in the same measured tone, "Eli would not be the first Archangel to Fall, only the most recent."

His Vessel is near middle age, nondescript except for extremely sharp green eyes. He looks almost like a dockworker--jeans, sweater, woolen cap, and five o'clock shadow.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #15
ladyarcana55

A tall woman in her early thirties is listening. She has very short blonde hair and blue eyes. She is dressed in a button up khaki shirt with the sleeves torn off and the top three buttons are missing. She is also wearing khaki shorts that stop at mid thigh and hiking boots. She is deeply tanned and she looks uncomfortable in the city. She seems more relaxed in the park.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #16
Andygal

Nechama steps forward and bows respectfully to Novalis "Am I correct in assuming this mission is intended to be a secret from all who are not involved?" She speaks in a warm, pleasant British accent.

She appears to be a woman in her early 40s, about 5'2, fair skinned, with light brown hair, worn in a ponytail, and medium blue eyes. She is slightly on the plump side of average build, with a round face and light freckles. She looks pleasant and trustworthy. She is wearing a pair of attractive grey slacks, a light, loose top in an off-white yellow colour, and a pair of apparently-new sneakers.
Andygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #17
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

A lean, friendly-looking woman watches the eager questions of the others with a broad smile. Her clothes are clean, but look like they were bought from the Goodwill about two or three months ago: a denim shirt with the sleeves rolled up, loose work pants and a pair of old canvas sneakers. On her head is a battered but serviceable bicycle helmet with a San Francisco Giants logo hand-painted on the front; from beneath it, her loosely-tied chestnut hair runs halfway down her back.

"Looks like we're going into this with open eyes," she says approvingly, nodding to the group. She turns her own eyes -- a startling blue -- onto Novalis with adoration. "My Lady, where is Judgment searching for him?" she asks. "If we know where the hunters are, we can do a better job of staying out of the way ourselves ... and if they have any information we don't, they might even help point us to him without meaning to."

Her thoughts, like a Wheel's, have clearly turned to the chase. Just behind her, against a tree, leans a red bicycle that, despite its well-used appearance, has been lovingly cared for.

"Also," she asks, "do we know if anyone else is searching for him, My Lady? On either side?"

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 08-26-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #18
rknop

Novalis smiles. "I'm glad you have questions. Ask the questions, even the hard ones, because we don't want you to miss anything as you start this."

Quote:
If I may, I think that his last known location would be a good place to start looking. Have you any reports more recently that you have seen him, Bright Lady?
Novalis nods. "I fear I don't have any recent location for him-- nothing within the last year, really. There is a Bright Lilim, named Euodias, in service to me here at this tether who was redeemed by Eli five years ago. You may also wish to inquire in heaven about any other redemptions that may have been performed by Eli. He did what Euodias what he does with most of his redemptions; he dropped her off here at the tether, without contacting anybody directly himself, and then disappeared."

Quote:
After that question is answered, Heb Rhoneniel speaks without first raising a hand or asking for permission. "What if the fears of Judgment and the Sword prove well-founded?" he asks, voice slow and deep. He then adds in the same measured tone, "Eli would not be the first Archangel to Fall, only the most recent."
"Then he must be destroyed," the Lion says suddenly, speaking for the first time. His voice is deep and resonant, and has a tone to it that is vaguely reminscent of Liam Neeson....

Zadkiel's face takes on a pained expression as she looks over at Jordi. "But we don't want to assume that...."

Jordi interrupts. "No, we do not, but the Seraph's question was how to respond if Eli is in fact tettering on the edge of a fall. Humanity is bad enough without the driving force of a Demon Prince of Creativity helping it along."

Zadkiel merely sighs.

Novalis says, "Jordi is right, but that won't be your decision to make. If you come to the conlusion that in fact Eli is a true hazard, then talk to us. We will decide if there's any hope for him, if in fact turning him over to Judgement is the right thing to do, or if even more drastic measures need to be taken."

"Eli is still redeeming demons, remember," Zadkiel says.

"One speculation that many have had," Novalis says, "is that Eli is trying to redeem one of the demon princes. Nybbas, Lilith, Kobal, and even Andrealphus are all names that sometimes get associated with this speculation. It has been a very long time since any archangel fell. No demon prince has ever been redeemed...."

Quote:
Nechama steps forward and bows respectfully to Novalis "Am I correct in assuming this mission is intended to be a secret from all who are not involved?" She speaks in a warm, pleasant British accent.
Zadkiel answers her Servitor. "You will need to be circumspect. Angels of Judgement could easily interpret what you're doing as interfering with a legitimate investigation of Judgement."

"Which we are," Jordi interjects.

Zadkiel throws Jordi another grouchy look, and Jordi continues, "Yes, that is perhaps an overstatement of the true situation."

Novalis says, "It will be up to you. It may be you will decide that spreading information about your mission will be the best way to try to get information back yourselves. But, you can be sure that as more learn about what you're doing, they are going to interfere, or, if they believe anything you may have learned is already valuable, they may try to capture you and pump you for information.'

Quote:
"My Lady, where is Judgment searching for him?" she asks. "If we know where the hunters are, we can do a better job of staying out of the way ourselves ... and if they have any information we don't, they might even help point us to him without meaning to."
Novalis smiles at her Ofanite. "They are doing their usual routine, but they've stepped up the intensity. They harass servitors of Creation, even those who are now in service to other Words. You can expect that they will be buzzing about any tethers to Creation like flies. And, of course, Dominic has resources that nobody else knows about when it comes to gathering information...."

Quote:
"Also," she asks, "do we know if anyone else is searching for him, My Lady? On either side?"
"As Hebrhoneniel mentioned, archangels have fallen before. It would be a tremendous coup for Hell if they could tempt Eli into falling, and it would be a major feather in the cap of the demon or Demon Prince who delivered a fallen Eli to Lucifer. I would suspect that servitors of the same Demon Princes that we speculate Eli may be trying to redeem will be on his tail for the opposite reason. If they believe that Eli is weakened-- which we all fear he may be, and seriously-- they may smell an opportunity."

Novalis puts one finger on the side of her cheek. "Well, except for Lilith. I doubt Lilith would be trying to drive Eli to fall, for that would be at odds with her nature."

"She could doubtless demand substantial payment in exchange for delivering a fallen archangel," Jordi interjects.

Novalis humms acknowledgement.

"Do you have any further questions?"
Old 08-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #19
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

The smiling lady in the bicycle helmet hesitates a moment, then comes out with it. "My Lady, how will we know Eli when we see him? From what I've heard, he could be anything -- male, female, puppy dog, even a lawn jockey if he wanted to."

She stops, fearing she's said too much, and begins to look down, rocking softly on her heels. "I'm sorry, My Lady. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. To trust us this much is a real honor. But if we run the race and can't recognize the finish line, I fear we could fail you without meaning to."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #20
rknop

Novalis' eyes show a mischievous gleam. "And maybe he's one of the five of you!"

Zadkiel snorts.

She goes on, more seriously. "Truthfully, if an archangel does not want to be seen, he won't be seen. That is just part of what makes this assignment challenging. But, merely finding him is not the finish line you should be racing for. You can be sure over the last several decades many, archangels, his servitors, probably demons, have asked him what he's up to. To my knowledge, he hasn't answered anyone. So, you may well come across him, but unless you know or have something more than any of us do right now, he probably won't answer the questions we really want you to answer. What is he up to? Why has he disappeared? Is he in trouble, does he need help, should we be worried? These are not new questions by any means, they have just become more urgent."

Tags
eli, in nomine, net play, pbp