Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2022, 03:13 PM   #41
BigSlick

Default Re: not quite the World of Darkness v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Yes, it looks like I either forgot to price it at 8/lvl or to take the -20% against the value. I'll go back and correct that.

I like that idea. Fire damage (outside of a Supers game) tends to somewhat lacking so a x2 modifier would make it more serious threat.
I should just add that you have had great ideas for Supers and this just follows suit. I've tried to recreate the spirit of a published world rather than faithfully reconstruct in GURPS and this feels like that. Nice.

Don't think I will ever play GURPS without using your KYOS conversion here.

You had mentioned you have taken a stab at capturing the essence of Disciplines etc. Anything worth posting? My thoughts on it were about retasking Sorcery into Disciplines or many other powers from other products.
BigSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:56 PM   #42
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
I like that idea. Fire damage (outside of a Supers game) tends to somewhat lacking so a x2 modifier would make it more serious threat.
When most things are a minor nuisance to you, the most available thing that can actually kill you is a major threat, by comparison.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:41 PM   #43
Kesendeja

I'm loving your stuff so far, but I do have a question. Are you going to try and tackle either Mage the Ascension or Mage the Awakening games? I enjoyed them, and would be very interested in seeing your take.

I especially loved the werewolf build, and plan on using it in an upcoming game.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:28 AM   #44
RedMattis

Quote:
That's true if you can do damage suddenly and they happen to pass out right away, otherwise Berserk tends to kick in giving them immunity to shock and a +4 to HT checks. Even a fledgling HT 10 vamp should stay active for a fair amount of time while at negative HT (90%? success rate).
Wouldn't that be a problem even without Unkillable? Heck, anything Berserk with some points in HT would result in the same. A lot of combat-oriented PCs get HT 13 or something anyway.

Perhaps it would be easier to just add an enhancement that makes Berserk worse by having it not work post -1x HP. Or a heavily limited "Fragile (Unnatural)" that causes unconsciousness instead when breaking some threshold (0 hp or -1x hp). If you want to avoid hard-to-stop berserk vampires that is.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:48 AM   #45
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
I should just add that you have had great ideas for Supers and this just follows suit. I've tried to recreate the spirit of a published world rather than faithfully reconstruct in GURPS and this feels like that. Nice.

Don't think I will ever play GURPS without using your KYOS conversion here.
Thanks - it's always nice to hear someone found it useful.

Quote:
You had mentioned you have taken a stab at capturing the essence of Disciplines etc. Anything worth posting? My thoughts on it were about retasking Sorcery into Disciplines or many other powers from other products.
Yes, I updated the old rules to use HP instead of fatigue. I just haven't formatted and posted it yet. Essentially it's the same as before with a few updates: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...92&postcount=5
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:57 AM   #46
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
I'm loving your stuff so far, but I do have a question. Are you going to try and tackle either Mage the Ascension or Mage the Awakening games? I enjoyed them, and would be very interested in seeing your take.
I did a version before:

Quote:
Magi
Energy Reserve 10 [ 30 ]
Magery 3 [ 30 ]
Ritual Adept [ 40 ]
Total [ 100 ]

Magi use RPM magic with the difference between Lesser and Greater being a believable coincidence vs a vulgar (blatant, obvious) effect.

Magery doesn't have a zero level or any of that level's benefits. Magery is solely a level cap with a built-in ER bonus.

Magi start with an energy reserve of 19 (10 + Magery x 3) and may increase either. Magi may Talent (5/lvl) and/or Higher Purpose to cover a type of magic (fire, demonic, luck, necromancy). Magi use Ritual Magic (style)/VH instead of Thaumatology because people realize what it is on the character sheet when I list it.
... but I never tested it. The only mages that popped up were NPCs that interacted socially. I suspect RPM would work well, but I haven't really used it much.

Quote:
I especially loved the werewolf build, and plan on using it in an upcoming game.
Thanks, I'd love to hear how it goes.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:20 AM   #47
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
Wouldn't that be a problem even without Unkillable? Heck, anything Berserk with some points in HT would result in the same. A lot of combat-oriented PCs get HT 13 or something anyway.
Yes, berserk tends toward "win or die."

Currently I've been using the house rule that consciousness checks are penalized by how negative your HT is. The more injured you are, the harder it is for you to remain conscious. For each -HT (death) threshold you reach, you're at an additional -1 to consciousness checks. Example: When you reach -HT you're at -1. When you reach -HTx2 you're at -2. -HTx3 is -3. -HTx4 is -4. -HTx5 is insta-death so you don't need to roll for that.

As a long standing house rule, we also have first failed HT check for death while still conscious cause a character to pass out rather than die.

Quote:
Perhaps it would be easier to just add an enhancement that makes Berserk worse by having it not work post -1x HP. Or a heavily limited "Fragile (Unnatural)" that causes unconsciousness instead when breaking some threshold (0 hp or -1x hp). If you want to avoid hard-to-stop berserk vampires that is.
I'm not sure how I would price that. In some ways it makes Berserk worse.

Besides, using the above berserkers have a much higher chance of passing out after serious damage.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:47 AM   #48
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
When most things are a minor nuisance to you, the most available thing that can actually kill you is a major threat, by comparison.
This go around I didn't include any version of Unkillable or Supernatural Durability, so enough damage from any source can eventually kill them. Instead, I just made them more resilient overall and I also made vamps highly resilient to piercing damage.

The reasoning was:
1) It's kinda hard to justify while cutting claws (of basically any source) are more dangerous than a sword or axe. "Aggravated" vs lethal is pretty contrived even in the WoD system.

2) Any weapons can stop vampires even in the WoD game. After being disabled killing vampires is trivial.

3) It fit with expectations. Movies and books show vampires coming at you after being shot a half dozen times with a pistol or even an assault weapon. Conversely, it's also a trope that melee weapons such as swords and axes will be effective.

4) You can't just slap on a "doesn't heal X damage" to leech or healing, because vampires won't have way to heal at all then. From a game mechanics point of view, keeping track of X damage that heals a special way and Y damage than you heal almost instantly is annoying.

5) I'd rather extra damage during combat than have damage that requires downtime or effort between combats to heal. Frankly, it's no fun to have your character sidelined for healing time.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:10 PM   #49
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Currently I've been using the house rule that consciousness checks are penalized by how negative your HT is. The more injured you are, the harder it is for you to remain conscious. For each -HT (death) threshold you reach, you're at an additional -1 to consciousness checks. Example: When you reach -HT you're at -1. When you reach -HTx2 you're at -2. -HTx3 is -3. -HTx4 is -4. -HTx5 is insta-death so you don't need to roll for that.
I think that's RAW, not a house rule. Basic Set p.419, "make a HT roll at the start of your next turn, at -1 per full multiple of HP below zero. Failure means you fall unconscious."

I think your approach to mages is a reasonable, simple take on it. Although using RPM as written might not capture the full potential reality-bending power of a WoD Mage, it would work for street level mages. There are also a bunch of other twists that could be added to replicate all the flavor of Mage the Ascension.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:01 PM   #50
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
I think that's RAW, not a house rule. Basic Set p.419, "make a HT roll at the start of your next turn, at -1 per full multiple of HP below zero. Failure means you fall unconscious."
Yea, we've been using that for a long time. I couldn't recall if it was RAW or not.

Quote:
I think your approach to mages is a reasonable, simple take on it. Although using RPM as written might not capture the full potential reality-bending power of a WoD Mage, it would work for street level mages. There are also a bunch of other twists that could be added to replicate all the flavor of Mage the Ascension.
Yes, that was a stand in until I could do a better conversion. Right now I'm thinking Threshold magic feels better than fatigue, and gives the GM a good mechanism for when and how to inflict a paradox. The next issue would be pricing the spheres. I think Thaumatology might have rules for that?

As an aside, it looks like they stripped most of the background going from Ascension to Awakening. A lot of the flavor I enjoyed was the paradiagm / tradition for the type of mage, so I'll read up online about the differences and see which seems to work better.

Last edited by naloth; 01-17-2022 at 04:28 PM.

Tags
templates, world of darkness (not)