Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #11
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Wounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I believe it’s a generalisation of Scalped from 3e Old West.
GURPS Update (p.14/16) do connect Wounded to Scalped. As I no longer have any Vampire: The Masquerade (GURPS or old World of Darkness) anymore, I could easily be mistaken... but I thought they had a trait like Wounded as well. Something along the lines of an injury from when you were turned never properly healing.

Scalped is still the most likely source, though if anyone knows of other potentially-related traits, I'd love to know. Wounded could easily be a distillation of such things. Update makes it clear that the Appearance penalty Scalped carries from 3e can be bought separately, if desired... so the idea of

Wounded + [Insert Trait] = [Insert Other Trait

seems plausible to me.

Oh, and I never have taken anything like this, but it seems quite useful for representing various real-world and fictional characters, so it is just that I've never run or included such characters in one of my games, before.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #12
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
GURPS Update (p.14/16) do connect Wounded to Scalped. As I no longer have any Vampire: The Masquerade (GURPS or old World of Darkness) anymore, I could easily be mistaken... but I thought they had a trait like Wounded as well.
GURPS: VtM Companion has a Permanent Wound disadvantage worth 15 points, which makes you take 2d damage at the start of every evening (not cumulative). This damage can be healed by any means available to a vampire, including First Aid.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:30 PM   #13
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I'm not sure that scans. It would just be DR 10 'eyewear' in general. It covers the 'same' amount of area. If the cyclops has a single human-sized eye, then it seems less likely to be able to hit the eye, which would be a perk (generally speaking, increasing or decreasing a hit location by one is a fine perk or quirk).
DR -20% limited (legs) is doubled to -40% for one leg, I always figured the same would apply to eyes: -90% for both eyes, -180% for two eyes. So a cyclops could save so much he could afford reflection or absorbtion
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #14
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
DR -20% limited (legs) is doubled to -40% for one leg, I always figured the same would apply to eyes: -90% for both eyes, -180% for two eyes. So a cyclops could save so much he could afford reflection or absorbtion
I think the big thing there is that each leg is very much a disparate entity that there should be a simple way to separate them if something only affects one, while 'the eyes' are basically one hit location even if you have multiple. They also assume entities with two legs; A creature with 16 legs would still take the same -20% for 'legs' but 'one leg' would be significantly cheaper.

The cyclops going for -180% also seems like extreme munchinkism ;)
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #15
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
GURPS: VtM Companion has a Permanent Wound disadvantage worth 15 points, which makes you take 2d damage at the start of every evening (not cumulative). This damage can be healed by any means available to a vampire, including First Aid.
This is almost certainly what I was thinking of, though, upon seeing the specifics, it doesn't seem to line-up with Wounded except in the most superficial way.

Oops. ^^'
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Quote:
I think the big thing there is that each leg is very much a disparate entity that there should be a simple way to separate them if something only affects one, while 'the eyes' are basically one hit location even if you have multiple. They also assume entities with two legs; A creature with 16 legs would still take the same -20% for 'legs' but 'one leg' would be significantly cheaper.

I suspect that -20% for only covering half of a set of hit locations is a fairer interpretation than doubling it. So one eye would be -110%. Which is a lot, but hey, its only one eye.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #17
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I suspect that -20% for only covering half of a set of hit locations is a fairer interpretation than doubling it. So one eye would be -110%. Which is a lot, but hey, its only one eye.
I think the reason for the doubling is that (say) the left leg is no harder to hit than the right one and so armoring only one just tells the opponent to hit the other so a lot of the benefit goes away. Mind, an attack that can only hit the right side of someone I would price at -20%.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #18
Dalin

I’ve seen this on a wizard PC who had been in a magical accident. Took it along with negative appearance and a relevant phobia, IIRC. Seemed like it worked well.

I’ve also included it (and seen it included) on NPCs.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #19
kirbwarrior

The more I think about it, the more I'm liking combining Wounded with No Depth Perception /One Eye for a more realistic 'One Eye' disad. You'd then likely put Mitigator on Wounded for something like a solid fake eye that doesn't need much cleaning or some other long term treatment that's better than having to clean and dress daily.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:24 PM   #20
Plane

Quote:
I think the big thing there is that each leg is very much a disparate entity that there should be a simple way to separate them if something only affects one
Tell that to Extra Legs ;)

Quote:
while 'the eyes' are basically one hit location even if you have multiple
Not really, if you have two eyes, suffering 1/10 HP will cripple one and let you remain seeing as per One Eye. If you have 1, you're blind when that it's crippled.

That's why I think certain amounts of extra eyes should be an advantage. Although obviously past a certain point it's more efficient to just take No Eyes (much like with Nictitating Membrane or Eye-Only DR) rather than have backups.

B54 Extra Head (Extraneous -20%) [12] subtracting 5 for extra mouth and 5 for enhanced tracking leaves you with 2/head for an extra pair of eyes, extra pair of ears, extra nose... on the other hand you have another face/nose/ears/eyes as potential targets too. I guess an extra neck is also included under the ETC since "single attack to your head or neck" is mentioned. Makes me wonder how you'd stat it where your main head has a neck but your extra ones don't...

We know from Powers: The Weird that "I don't have a nose, I don't need one, I can smell from wherever" and "I don't have ears, I don't need them, I can hear from wherever!" are just perks. These are usually better than "I have spare ears/noses to hear/smell with if the others get grappled/crippled" except if you're actually wanting to bait people into attacking them... but it makes me think "spare pair of ears and eyes" is probably just worth 1 point...

I guess one benefit to another neck (in addition to mouth) is a backup breathing system if somebody is smothering your primary mouth/neck?

No Nose definitely is just for scent, it doesn't allow you to breathe from anywhere (that's Doesn't Breathe: Oxygen Absorbtion) so you still need to specify one or more breathing orifices (which might well look/appear like a nose!, it's jut not the monopoly of your olfactory sensation)

Quote:
They also assume entities with two legs; A creature with 16 legs would still take the same -20% for 'legs' but 'one leg' would be significantly cheaper.
I think they assume two eyes as well.

Quote:
How so?

If you have DR 1 (Reflective +100% One Eye -180%) or DR 1 (Absorption +100% One Eye -180%) as perks, yeah there's some risk in attacking you in the eye (might bounce back or empower you) but there's probably going to be plenty of other options.

Actually to get super-technical you'll probably need to take Force Field +20% first, but you can offset that with Flexible -20% which has no drawbacks if you're dealing with DR 4 or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
It won't make a difference for "One Limb" either way, so you figure One Extremity should be -60% ?

Quote:
You'd then likely put Mitigator on Wounded for something like a solid fake eye that doesn't need much cleaning or some other long term treatment that's better than having to clean and dress daily.
"harder to hit" could also be a mitigator for the disad, while "higher injury multiplier" could be an enhancement for the disad

Or I guess you could just take "Vulnerability: hits to my Wound" to get there. Not sure how to price vulnerable: location though, only example I know of is the Brain in Zombies to get better-than-x4-pulping.

At some point I wonder if vulnerability should even be allowed. A creature with 1 HP for example is already getting sent to -3xHP (making 3 death checks) by 1 penetrating damage, so a x2 multiplier is sending him straight to x6 (guaranteed death for non-unkillable) so would it be fair to give more points for a multiplier BEYOND that? That only compromises them if they get some kinda magical HP buff.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage of the week, wounded