Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-21-2021, 04:58 AM   #1
Anders

Default Magic Item Contest

Found a picture of a beautiful cluster of amethysts on the net (picture here). How would you enchant it to make a suitable magical item for your campaign?
Old 03-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
William

Default Re: Magic Item Contest

The obvious method would seem to be to plant it, probably on a power point like a ley line. Blooms could have any number of functions from healing to being Manastones.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:09 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

In my games, a gem like that is probably just an energy storage mechanism... though it could potentially be a very powerful one!

It could be the focus device for a magitech fireball cannon, though I'd expect it to be red rather than purple.

It would make a nice a mind control stone you set up somewhere hidden and let influence anyone who wanders too close.

Break it up and use it for wand tips.

It might not be a magic item: something about it makes me think its an egg or pupa for a magical or alien beast. Or maybe even the creature itself.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
David Johnston2

It's a little unwieldy and fragile to be used as a weapon/wand. So I imagine it being planted in a pedestal to generate a miles-wide force dome to protect an area from being invaded. The only way in or out is through a teleportal.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:02 PM   #5
RyanW

Cut it into many small pendants, sell them as amulets to prevent drunkenness and hangovers. Use profits to leave town before next big party.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Cut it into many small pendants, sell them as amulets to prevent drunkenness and hangovers. Use profits to leave town before next big party.
Speaking of charlatanry, apparently amethysts are believed by some to have healing/purifying effects, so this may be particularly useful enchanted with some sort of Healing, Remove Disease, Remove Poison, etc effect. Perhaps "planting" it (as suggested by William) results in a region where the soil is never deprived of nutrients, the water is always fresh and uninfested (by disease/parasites), and wounds heal more rapidly.

Tags
magic items