Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #1
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Character Collections for TFT - on Kickstarter Feb 19 to Mar 9

The Character Collection volumes provide ready-to-play, rules-compliant TFT characters for use as hirelings, rivals, extras, or even pre-generated characters. They're definitely useful for when an adventure or encounter calls for opposition you haven't prepared in advance...or when the GM needs a little creative inspiration.

The campaign launches Friday, Feb 19 at 10am with three volumes:
  • Character Collections 1: Experienced Adventurers provides 20 ready-to-use adventurers of various point values.
  • Character Collections 2: Rookies contains 40 starting characters ranging from 30-33 points.
  • Character Collections 3: Bandits and Outlaws ambushes you with 72 unsavory individuals . . . or perhaps they’re just misunderstood?

The campaign launches with these three volumes, but there are three more planned as stretch goals. These volumes (Wizards, Merchants and Caravans, and Pirates and Sailors) unlock as the number of backers that join the campaign at the $10 or more reward level hit certain levels. The PDFs of these books are added to your pledge rewards as the campaign succeeds!

Please join Gaming Ballistic in making the Character Collections project successful!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #2
DouglasCole

Default Re: Character Collections for TFT - on Kickstarter Feb 19 to Mar 9

FUNDED on the First Day!!
Old 02-20-2021, 07:27 AM   #3
larsdangly

Congratulations!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
DouglasCole

A comment from The Fantasy Trip Discord Channel was too good to not repost. So here, with permission from the poster, is a bit of love for "Character Collections for TFT"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum
"It is so great that we are going to see these materials somehow, by hook or by crook. I'm sure the markers will be a cool addition, but the character volumes and cards will make a huge difference at the table. When it comes to these sorts of materials, the key idea is the old Stalin quotation: "quantity has a quality all its own". 10 character cards is a novelty. 100 character cards is a resource. Hundreds of character cards is a functionally infinite support for nearly any kind of TFT game experience you can imagine. And the volumes let you use those cards as either a simple stat block for a 'drop in' friend or foe in an encounter, or as the starting point for a fully fleshed out NPC or PC with a lasting role in a campaign. Again, having 10 such things is sort of interesting, but having hundreds opens up limitless possibilities. I'd say this KS has the potential to impact people's play at least as much as DoD did."
Just to emphasize some of this, here are the potential card counts if we hit all the goals:
* CC1: 20 cards
* CC2: 40 cards
* CC3: 72 cards
*5PJ 63 cards
* MPJ: 204 cards in three decks
* CC4: 40 cards
* CC5: 64 cards
* CC6: 72 cards
Old 02-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
DouglasCole

Status and Progress

Character Collections for TFT funded in nine hours, and we are currently
  • 27 backers from the first stretch goal of making character cards for CC1
  • 177 backers from unlocking CC4: Wizards
  • 377 backers from unlocking CC5: Merchants and Caravans
  • 677 backers from unlocking CC6: Pirates, Raiders, and Sailors

Over the last two days, we've averaged 20 backers per day; that strongly suggests that we can hope the first stretch goal should fall today or tomorrow.

The last two look far away...but if we continue on the pace of roughly 20/day through the end, with no pickup, we'll hit 600 people. That means only 100 of the 268 who are following but not yet pledged would need to come over...and that's on pace for the current conversion rate of the project.

BiggerCake seems to think we'll surpass 700 handily.

Finally, expect to see a few podcasts and some larger marketing reach in the next week or so.

Make the Most of the Post

Increasing the reach of the project is key. The more see it and hear things about Gaming Ballistic and the products that - thanks to projects like this one - we have created the more we can lean on the stretch goals.

Yesterday I either made or replied to posts in three different large RPG forums. There are also facebook posts and twitter tweets that can be seen and reshared or commented on. Every time that happens, the network grows and the number of backers grows also - creators get the stats and can see it happen!

More Perilous Journeys: Arriving

Mostly on Facebook, but I've seen other places as well: More Perilous Journeys is very nearly finished fulfillment, with 32 packages still "in transit" within the USPS, 2 out for delivery. I'm still waiting to hear about the Royal Mail DDP program, which covers 17 packages bound for the EU.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #6
DouglasCole

Unlocked! First stretch goal at 350 backers

I'm callin' it. We've unlocked the goal!

That means that the 20 characters from CC1 will get their own card deck. 20 cards, in Decks of Destiny format.

If we unlock CC5 at 700 backers, which has 64 counters in it, I'll fill up the second sheet with the counters from CC1: Experienced Adventurers. Waste not, want not!
Old 02-26-2021, 08:57 PM   #7
ParadoxGames

Your project made a lot of progress since your last post. Kudos!
Old 02-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #8
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
Your project made a lot of progress since your last post. Kudos!
Thank you. The real test is the number of backers that come on board; the "who wants books, cards, and counters" question will be answered during the Backerkit phase, when the stretch goals (or not) are confirmed and frozen, and people can judge what physical goods they want.

I'm currently in the process of writing CC4: Wizards as it does look likely we'll hit that goal at between 525 and 625 backers projects. Tho more would be good.

The structure of this one is such that we won't really know what it looks like until the very end!
Old 02-27-2021, 04:07 PM   #9
larsdangly

I'm sure we'll get to see CC5 and CC6 some day - you clearly want to do them, and they clearly will be super interesting, useful products. The sooner the better, but I won't be bummed if we get capped at CC1-4 in this campaign. That is already a TON of material. I was just thinking about the Wizards volume (CC4), as I GM'd a session that included a lot of interaction with various members of the Ardonirane wizard's guild and interconnected NPCs; it would have been so much easier and better if I'd had a couple dozen more wizard cards to work with.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #10
DouglasCole

The Character Collections for The Fantasy Trip campaign has about a week to go. There’s enough information to make some adjustments to the campaign structure to make things a bit more convenient.

This is taking the form of new pledge levels which combine physical and PDF rewards into packages. There are now Print + PDF “one-click” reward levels for those who want physical books along with your digital rewards that are paired up with the existing four PDF-only pledge levels.

I’ve added a retail tier that is five copies each of physical books only, no cards or counters.

Finally, there are two tiers for those who are looking to go big. The All the New Things level assumes you have the books from both previous Perilous Journeys campaigns, and the original counter and card sets from Five Perilous Journeys…but want to catch up with everything that’s new since then. EVERYTHING OLD AND NEW is for those who want everything GB has done for TFT in one click.

What about the CC4 through CC6 stretch goals? As they fall, these products will be added to the appropriate reward levels at no change in reward price.

The New to TFT! pledge reward also benefits: As CC4 through CC6 are unlocked, you get those as well in Print and PDF!

The campaign can’t anticipate all possible combinations, but this should cover the big ones. If you’ve already pledged to a digital level, but the campaign ends before you can come back to adjust…don’t worry: You can switch freely in the Backerkit phase!