Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2021, 09:44 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default Teleport Other and Wizard Eye, or other methods of long-distance scrying

So, going through my copy of GURPS Magic, and I noticed the lack of an actual "long-distance scrying" spell, and I found it odd that GURPS Magic didn't allow for the classic trope of a Wizard to scry upon a distant location, save for using the Projection spell, or maintaining a Wizard Eye for an incredibly long time.

So one alternative I was using Teleport Other on a Wizard Eye, teleporting the sensor to a desired location (which, considering the object's lightness, would be at 1/2 cost), and manipulating the sensor from that location.

Would a conjured Eye be valid for such a casting?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:01 AM   #2
corwyn

Default Re: Teleport Other and Wizard Eye, or other methods of long-distance scrying

Well, Wizard Eye creates an actual physical eye, so I don't see why not. Of course, you can only teleport to somewhere you can see or are familiar with. Hawk Vision and a high vantage point could be useful here.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
cbower

Default Re: Teleport Other and Wizard Eye, or other methods of long-distance scrying

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
So, going through my copy of GURPS Magic, and I noticed the lack of an actual "long-distance scrying" spell, and I found it odd that GURPS Magic didn't allow for the classic trope of a Wizard to scry upon a distant location, save for using the Projection spell, or maintaining a Wizard Eye for an incredibly long time.

So one alternative I was using Teleport Other on a Wizard Eye, teleporting the sensor to a desired location (which, considering the object's lightness, would be at 1/2 cost), and manipulating the sensor from that location.

Would a conjured Eye be valid for such a casting?
There's always Telecast.
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #4
LoneWolf23k

Another option I'm considering is making a faster Wizard Eye. Like Wizard Eye with Hawk Flight, to give it a high speed of motion to scout long distances.

This would be a Very Hard spell, with Magery 2 as a prerequisite, and perhaps double the cost of Wizard Eye.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbower View Post
There's always Telecast.
If someone only had Telecast's prereqs and wanted to use them consecutively it's possibly okay, though I could see requiring M147's Teleport Other as well.

Or perhaps allow both as options? Teleport Other is half the cost of teleport for stuff under 10 pounds which probably applies to the eye...

I'd probably let a wizard who specializes in Teleport Other use that on themself if they wanted. It's usually a bad idea since it's more expensive for those of human weight. I could see tacking on a -2 penalty since it's not intended to be used on self, like we see with Exoteleport in Psi.

Anyone know how exactly "inanimate objects are less likely to suffer physical damage" works? Something other than the usual 1d damage on a fail-by-1? Not sure if a wizard eye would be inanimate or not, but if there's no crunch to go with that fluff I don't know if it matters.

Telecast is cheaper than Eye+Teleport since it costs the same as Teleport so you're getting the wizard eye effect for free.

M128's 60s casting M147's descriptions is a lot I guess since AFAIK the teleport spells take 1 second to cast since no casting time is listed?

M128's 5s duration compared to M104's 1-minute duration is the issue here: it seems like Telecast sets the precedent that actually projecting your "casting centre" (however we term a position from which the -1/yard standard penalties are measured) is a lot more complicated than just having a wizard eye and moving it around.

I'd almost think of Telecast as not just Teleport+WizardEye but also adding in some kind of "Wizard Brain" (or maybe "Wizard Mind" for those with No Brain...) where you're also projecting enough of your consciousness to affect casting penalties from that distance.

Is there not an "Invisible Wizard Eye" version of Telecast though?

I could actually see creating some kind of 'project mageness' type spell as a prereq for telecast where you don't create an eye but you still create a tether/bounce for your signal.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
odd that GURPS Magic didn't allow for the classic trope of a Wizard to scry upon a distant location
Also Scry Gate, Divination (see Crystal-Gazing, frex, for a classic form of scrying).

Scryguard (etc) blocks all Information spells, so in some sense they're all scrying, if often of a very specialized nature.

I'm not sure why you dismiss Projection, since it's pretty much the way traditional clairvoyance (and other senses) work. You could always rename it "Scry" if you prefer (just for symmetry with Scryguard and friends), or "Clairvoyance", or another synonym.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #7
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Divination (see Crystal-Gazing, frex, for a classic form of scrying).
That shows you a vision which answers a question you have, but it isn't generally a direct view of something that is actually happening, but rather a somewhat ambiguous collection of symbols which require interpretation. That is a lot more common in both myth and fiction than straight-up remote viewing, but the latter does feature in some stories.
Quote:
I'm not sure why you dismiss Projection, since it's pretty much the way traditional clairvoyance (and other senses) work.
Needing line of sight to the point of view is a harsh requirement which doesn't feature in any stories I'm aware of. With enough fatigue and vision-enhancing spells you can eventually get something like classic clairvoyance by just choosing a point of view high in the air so you can go 'beyond the horizon' and then zoom in with Hawk Vision, look inside buildings with Glass Wall, etc. but you have to layer a lot of spells to get the kind of effects which are relatively common in stories.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #8
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post
Needing line of sight to the point of view is a harsh requirement which doesn't feature in any stories I'm aware of. With enough fatigue and vision-enhancing spells you can eventually get something like classic clairvoyance by just choosing a point of view high in the air so you can go 'beyond the horizon' and then zoom in with Hawk Vision, look inside buildings with Glass Wall, etc. but you have to layer a lot of spells to get the kind of effects which are relatively common in stories.
OK, yeah, we do need a Remote Viewing spell, and I hadn't noticed that there wasn't one in GURPS. Maybe Projection could be the immediate prerequisite for the new spell, with Remote Viewing perhaps being 'like projection but not limited to line-of-sight, and able to move the viewpoint.' or something like that? Might be a VH spell, especially if further limitations are removed.

Alternatively, the Remote Viewing spell might have Crystal Gazing as the main prerequisite, with Wizard Eye being another one (but unlike Telecast or Wizard Eye+Teleport, there's no physical eye to notice or attack).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:43 PM   #9
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post
That shows you a vision which answers a question you have, but it isn't generally a direct view of something that is actually happening
"O Oracle, what's happening at my point of interest right now? Show me..."

Everyone from Numenoreans to the Wicked Witch of the West has used a crystal ball to see elsewhere. Remote viewing is just as traditional as cloudy visions of the tall, dark, and handsome man in your future.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:32 PM   #10
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
"O Oracle, what's happening at my point of interest right now? Show me..."

Everyone from Numenoreans to the Wicked Witch of the West has used a crystal ball to see elsewhere. Remote viewing is just as traditional as cloudy visions of the tall, dark, and handsome man in your future.
"Crystal-Gazing is the use of a crystal ball or mirror to facilitate a divinatory vision. If it works, the GM describes a scene; it is up to the player to interpret it!"

The text of the spell doesn't make it remote viewing, it basically shows you a vision that answers a question in a "yes-or-no" fashion, just like every other Divination spell.

So no, it's technically not a remote viewing spell.

Tags
magic, scrying