Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-28-2023, 03:21 PM   #1
briansommers

Default Skills: primary, secondary & background…

I just need a bit of rules clarification.

I take it these skills classification are for templates only?

When your buying skills for a pc all skills are just skills, not broken down like the above, this is RAW correct?
briansommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:24 PM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Skills: primary, secondary & background…

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansommers View Post
I just need a bit of rules clarification.

I take it these skills classification are for templates only?

When your buying skills for a pc all skills are just skills, not broken down like the above, this is RAW correct?
Yep. Extend-O-Matic!
Gold & Appel Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:03 AM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Template Toolkit 1 goes into detail about these categories.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:38 PM   #4
Dalillama

Those categories are always relative to the template, and can be basically summed up as: Skills that are necessary to do the template's thing skills that are helpful for doing the template's thing, and the kind of skills that someone like the template could easily have picked up here and there
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:11 PM   #5
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Those categories are always relative to the template, and can be basically summed up as: Skills that are necessary to do the template's thing skills that are helpful for doing the template's thing, and the kind of skills that someone like the template could easily have picked up here and there
And quite often Background skills will help to fill out areas the Template is weak in. So a few extra Social skills on combat, athletics, or scholarly centered templates; Athletics on social or scholarly centered templates; etc.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 04:59 AM   #6
Gollum

I fully do agree with what is said above but would just add that it can also help to create a character from scratch.

1) Primary skills: what is absolutely necessary for your character to be good at what he is supposed to be good at.
2) Secondary skills: what can be useful for his job but not necessary. What makes him different from others who do the same job. His specializations.
3) Background skills: his hobbies, what he learned at school when he was young, and so on.

Thinking about these three things really helps to choose your skills and create an interesting character.

Last edited by Gollum; 04-01-2023 at 03:46 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 03:43 PM   #7
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
I fully do agree with what is said above but would just add that it can also help to create a character from scratch.

1) Primary skills: what is absolutely necessary for your character to be good at what he is supposed to be good at.
2) Secondary skills: what can be useful for his job but not necessary. What makes him different from others who do the same job. His specializations.
3) Background skills: his hobbies, what he learned at school when he was young, and so on.

Thinking about these three things really helps to choose your skills and create an interesting character.
Especailly if you also split your Character Points accordingly.

I like to go along the lines of:
Primary Skills 4+ CP per skill.
Secondary Skills 2 CP per skill
Background Skills 1 CP per skill.

Of course I'm a bit infamous for my 50-100 CP in skills, all skills being at 1 point Characters...

(But in those cases it's because I also have a Talent pile-up going on in the Advantages area.)
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote