Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-17-2023, 04:45 AM   #1
flyingwombat

Default can't change my printer settings

I admit that it appears to be a glitch on my end. I am using a wireless printer. I can use the pdf function and print the pdf. That's all I can do right now if I want to print on both sides.
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:57 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: can't change my printer settings

For most printer settings, you'll need to change them from the Print dialog that comes up when you select print. That lets you select the printer and the settings for that printer. Otherwise, within GCA, you can mostly just change page settings as displayed in preview and sheet view.

(I see print settings is still on the File menu, although it is disabled. That should actually be removed as those apply when printing, as mentioned above, and therefore need to be set from inside the Prrint dialog.)
Old 02-17-2023, 10:31 AM   #3
flyingwombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
For most printer settings, you'll need to change them from the Print dialog that comes up when you select print. That lets you select the printer and the settings for that printer. Otherwise, within GCA, you can mostly just change page settings as displayed in preview and sheet view.

(I see print settings is still on the File menu, although it is disabled. That should actually be removed as those apply when printing, as mentioned above, and therefore need to be set from inside the Prrint dialog.)
That's the problem, I see any options other than just print. I might be missing something. At any rate, I can’t worry about it today. I’m going to a convention in a few hours.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:17 AM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
That's the problem, I see any options other than just print. I might be missing something. At any rate, I can’t worry about it today. I’m going to a convention in a few hours.
Just to confirm, in this image:
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/temp/GCA5Print.jpg

When you click the Print button (highlighted in Blue) GCA5 is supposed to open the Windows Print Dialog Window (highlighted in Red).

You're saying clicking the Print button does nothing?
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 12:11 AM   #5
flyingwombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Just to confirm, in this image:
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/temp/GCA5Print.jpg

When you click the Print button (highlighted in Blue) GCA5 is supposed to open the Windows Print Dialog Window (highlighted in Red).

You're saying clicking the Print button does nothing?
No. I am running windows 11 64 bit OS. I’m at con right now, so I can’t show my screen. It does show a window, but not like yours
Old 02-19-2023, 01:28 AM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
No. I am running windows 11 64 bit OS. I’m at con right now, so I can’t show my screen. It does show a window, but not like yours
In Windows 11 the Print Dialog should have a drop-down menu to select a printer in the top-left and a More Settings button in the bottom-left. More Settings should bring up the printer settings for the selected printer.
Note: I do not have Windows 11 on any of my computers, so I'm going by what I can find online.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 02:45 AM   #7
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
In Windows 11 the Print Dialog should have a drop-down menu to select a printer in the top-left and a More Settings button in the bottom-left. More Settings should bring up the printer settings for the selected printer.
That's exactly right. However, it appears almost greyed out by default, so it's easy to miss. Underneath the "Pages" part of the left side dialog pane, it's there at the end. Clicking it brings up the printer driver "Printing Preferences" dialog box where you can make any change you normally could.

The other way to do it is just go into Printers & Scanners, find your printer, and open Printing Preferences from there and make changes. Those are global changes so when you then print from an app whatever you did at a global level will be the "default" (if you make changes through the Printing Preferences accessed from an app, it's only persistent within the app for so long as it remains open.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:31 PM   #8
flyingwombat

Unfortunately, I don’t get that option. I will post a screenshot tomorrow
Old 03-16-2023, 03:16 PM   #9
flyingwombat

Sorry. sidetracked by real life. I figured out what happened. In my sleepless state I didn't scroll down to see the other options on the print display. On Windows 11, it's in an obscure place.