Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2023, 06:53 PM   #71
Farmer

Default Re: Blog - One Shot Adventures - New Posts

I agree largely with Mburr.

If the hack is meant to be a very quick, easy thing to grab some info, then roll and you succeed or not at the time.

If it's a significant plot line or plot event, then involve multiple people and present a number of challenges where everyone can assist using their skills. The hacker is still the lead, and should shine for the sequence, but the rest should be involved (or if they are fine sitting one out that's OK, too, and can add to the story).

The involvement of others can be contemporaneous or leading into or out of the hack in support. Getting into a place to run the hack, having particular information, keeping others out physically or socially or legally, monitoring real time events to see if it's working or whether another threat is coming, and so on based on skill sets. It could even be run in something similar to combat rounds (maybe just a bit longer) if it's a battle between hackers who want to use "moves" or different tactics or strategies. Plenty of scope do as Mburr suggests and think about it in more traditional GURPS mechanics.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:48 AM   #72
thalcos

While no new adventure to announce this month (but a new fantasy one in the works!), wanted to point out that I've been doing some classic GURPS adventure reviews on YouTube -- you old-school, OG GURPS players will appreciate these love letters to the classics from the mid-80s:

Both are still wonderful adventures, and it's amazing how compatible they are with modern GURPS decades later. But I also give some tips and tricks on how to run these great.

Also, I've been making the original VTT assets I've made for these adventures available as well on my website- like tokens and maps - for those of you who want to run them.
thalcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:18 AM   #73
thalcos

This month on my adventures blog, there's a brand new GURPS Fantasy adventure - Roar of the Terrorghorger!

A fearless band of merchants has sailed all the way to the Vampire Coast, where they hope to sell a hundred crates of rare Bell Wine to a gracious vampire lord. But such deals are not made easily, and soon the merchants find themselves the victims of treachery. Now stranded in the jungles of Lustria, they are surrounded by primeval monsters, stalked by savage lizardmen, and desperate to make their way back home.

While the adventure is set in Warhammer's Old World, it's easy to port over to other settings like Yrth, or even as the basis for a pulpy game set in the real world.

As always, the free adventure includes pregenerated characters, handouts, and VTT tokens and assets to make it easy for GURPS GMs to grab their friends and play. Enjoy!

There are now over 30 free GURPS adventures on 1shotadventures (!), many of which cover some of GURPS' more unusual genres that might make for fun one-shots, like pulp, action, spies, historical horror, and more. There's even some solo adventures! Since there's too many fun adventures to list, check out the complete list of adventures.

Last edited by thalcos; 08-20-2023 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-01-2023, 05:06 PM   #74
thalcos

This month on my GURPS adventures blog, I rebooted the forty year old FASA Star Trek adventure, "A Doomsday Like Any Other."

In the rebooted The Clear Light of Doomsday, the PCs are en route to settle a tense diplomatic situation in independent space, when they are shocked to discover the existence of a second Doomsday Machine! Can they save a planet and avoid a three-way war in the process? As always, the adventure includes pregenerated characters, handouts, and VTT assets.

You can also use this adventure as a direct sequel to the first Trek adventure I rebooted -- Who Tracks the Steps of Glory.
Old 11-28-2023, 05:33 PM   #75
thalcos

This month on my adventures blog, there's a brand new GURPS action horror adventure - Spectral Tides. If you're a fan of 1980s "Spielberg horror" like the Goonies, Monster Squad, and Stranger Things, you'll want to check this one out.

The teens of Oak Harbor all know the legend of the Goblin-Thing, a creature that swims in the nearby waters, eats the heads of seals, and collects treasure from the sunken wreckage of the Mosquito Fleet. However, the PCs' best friend Jake Samson has gone missing after claiming to have found the Goblin-Thing’s treasure-filled lair. Off on a rescue mission, the PCs soon uncover an ever-increasing amount of danger: an escaped murderer is on the loose, and a centuries old curse is about to be unleashed on their town!

As always, the free adventure includes pregenerated characters, handouts, and VTT tokens and assets, and even a professionally voice introduction to make it easy for GURPS GMs to grab their friends and play. Enjoy!

There are now over 30 free GURPS adventures on 1shotadventures (!), many of which cover some of GURPS' more unusual genres that might make for fun one-shots, like pulp, action, spies, historical horror, and more. There's even some solo adventures! Since there's too many fun adventures to list, check out the complete list of adventures.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:59 PM   #76
Dalin

I am SO excited about this one!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 01:02 PM   #77
thalcos

Solo adventures are what introduced me to the ttrpg hobby (curse you Bargle!) - and I loved All in a Night's Work and all the old GURPS Conan solo adventures. So sometimes, to keep my game design brain fresh, I write my own.

If you're looking for a free GURPS solo horror adventure set in the subway tunnels of 1918 NYC, check out this month's Shadows of the Old Subway. In 1918, the New York City subway system was still under construction. A lone engineer is sent into the new tunnels to find the source of an unusual series of electrical fires. What they find in the darkness, however, is a nightmarish secret…

(Writing solo adventures is tricky and tangly. While I've done my best, it's possible there are madness-inducing dead ends... lemme know if you find them so I can fix them!)

Last edited by thalcos; 01-03-2024 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2023, 03:45 PM   #78
AOTA

Thanks for the solo adventure. These are great for helping me to teach GURPS to new players.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 10:42 PM   #79
Gollum

Thank you very much for that amazing adventure. It is very entertaining, so well written and the layout is beautiful.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventures, blog, blogs