Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
silverjoker

Default Alternative ability, free points?

Ok, could someone explain what is the real purpose of ''Alternative Ability''. How it really works cause except for one specific situation or two, I find it totally unbalancing.

Say, if you buy a fire attack (5d burning bla bla bla...) and you mention that as well as overheating the place you can chill it. Then you can purchase a cold attack (5d burning bla bla bla...) for the fifth of the price.(As a part of a temperature control power) Sounds good. Since anyways you'd make a five dice attack and you can adapt it so it worth point but not the full for the attack.

But for an unrelated effect like a laser beam (5d burning bla bla bla...) turned into blinding ray (affliction blinding bla bla bla...). Isn't it unbalanced to save 80% of the cost just because crippling one ability would cripple the other.

Plus, there is many other ways to craft this effects. Selectivity, Variable, Link... Which all have a balanced cost. So why?

I must have miss something of this rule cause it is totally alien to me. Please tell me what you understood of this rule!
silverjoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative abilities, alternative ability