Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 11-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #241
jason taylor

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Migrationist Movement:

A movement or cluster of movements centered around the belief that interstellar civilization is becoming stagnant, claustrophobic, and contrary to the dignity of sophant. Believes the solution to be in the finding of room to allow settlement and formation of self-governing polities in empty space. Migrationists make a practice of reviving pioneer myths of various cultures, from the Aslan, to the Icelanders of Terra, to the American frontier.

All but the most extreme Migrationists deny any desire to usurp indigenous peoples and declare only the wish to find land that is unclaimed or to purchase land from others. They also deny any disloyalty to the Imperium and point out that they intend to relieve discontent, some even claiming that a second Civil War is imminent if a safety valve is not provided and that therefore they are working in the interests of the Imperium. Nonetheless there is worry that their over eagerness can threaten conflicts with neighbors that the Imperium cannot afford.

Many migrationists are found in the IISS. Naturally enough, Imperial Aslan are staunch supporters. Aslan from the Hierate usually are not simply because they have not heard of it.

The Migrationist movement is not restricted to the Imperium. There are many in Solomani space and in the Spinward Marches outside of Imperial control. There are however few Zhodani Migrationists, as such that are met by Imperials. Zhodani taking part in the Core expeditions are the closest counterpart and these usually have not heard of the Migrationist Movement.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #242
jason taylor

Wedding collection: outside the Imperium in my heroes country. At a wedding it is customary for the clan to take up contributions to set up the new couple. This amiable tradition allows even a fairly young pair to have at least a pre-fab house and a few months discretionary funds to start with. In a cross-clan wedding the two clans share the cost.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #243
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Look for the book Arthurian Propaganda (I'll have to check for the author's name there may be more than one book of that title). The author's thesis is that Mallory was shaping the tragic fate of Arthur in terms of his failure to keep his seperate roles (his two bodies) properly seperate. That, by failing to understand the nature of kingship, Arthur destroys his own kingdom in spite of his virtue and heroism.

It should be an interesting read for you.
Hmmm...Sounds cool! Thanks for the recommendation.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/arthur...=brief_results
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #244
combatmedic
Banned

Astromnacer just gave me an idea...

I want to run/play in a Traveler game that follows the KAP RPG mode of 'one adventure per year, winter phase, get married and have kids, play the next generation, and so forth.'

:)
Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #245
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I want to run/play in a Traveler game that follows the KAP RPG mode of 'one adventure per year, winter phase, get married and have kids, play the next generation, and so forth.'
I deleted my original reply and moved it to a new thread: Generational game.

Hans

Last edited by Hans Rancke-Madsen; 11-29-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #246
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
If you make such a thread, I will post in it.
Done.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #247
Astromancer

Yes Combatmedic, a generational game deserves much respect as an idea.

It could be a truely epic way to play Traveller.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #248
jason taylor

Quote:
Astromnacer just gave me an idea...

:)
Which post?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #249
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Look for the book Arthurian Propaganda (I'll have to check for the author's name there may be more than one book of that title). The author's thesis is that Mallory was shaping the tragic fate of Arthur in terms of his failure to keep his seperate roles (his two bodies) properly seperate. That, by failing to understand the nature of kingship, Arthur destroys his own kingdom in spite of his virtue and heroism.

It should be an interesting read for you.

It was this post, Jason. My thinking went like so:

Scholarly text on Mallory's book-----La Morte D'Arthur---- Pendragon RPG-----Generational play
Old 12-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #250
Astromancer

Quote:
It was this post, Jason. My thinking went like so:

Scholarly text on Mallory's book-----La Morte D'Arthur---- Pendragon RPG-----Generational play
I found the right url to lead you to the book I was talking about. And here it is.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote