Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Indirect Influence (Text) and Time Taken

Greetings, all!

Several Influence Skills are fully effective through text. They can even get an extra +2 from Calligraphy. However, RAW doesn't say anything specific about another factor that can affect the persuasiveness of a letter: the amount of time/effort spent on composing it. As in, what is the default time required to write a letter that counts as an unmodified Influence Attempt? Does Time Spent affect the skills in the usual way, or should there be a custom progression?

Related: why is Calligraphy an option, but not Writing? Writing seems like a good complimentary skill for a more convincing wording of a request. Also, Calligraphy is kinda dead when you communicate through fixed-width non-formatted text.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Indirect Influence (Text) and Time Taken

There is a generic rule for gaining a bonus through taking extra time on a task. It doesn't go into specifics per task per skill, of course.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!

Several Influence Skills are fully effective through text. They can even get an extra +2 from Calligraphy. However, RAW doesn't say anything specific about another factor that can affect the persuasiveness of a letter: the amount of time/effort spent on composing it. As in, what is the default time required to write a letter that counts as an unmodified Influence Attempt? Does Time Spent affect the skills in the usual way, or should there be a custom progression?
It's going to take a varying amount of time depending on how long the letter has to be, both to explain the request and to make the minimal socially required courtesies of the era. It's like asking, "How much does a book cost?"

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
Dwarf99

Scribes can do about 8 pages a day (assuming 500 word pages 12x10 inches) someone who is thinking about what he is writing in terms of trying to impress people. It takes probably 2 seconds per word to actually do the writing though.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It's going to take a varying amount of time depending on how long the letter has to be, both to explain the request and to make the minimal socially required courtesies of the era. It's like asking, "How much does a book cost?"

Bill Stoddard
Well, on one hand, I am interested what amount of such courtesies counts as the default amount for an Unmodified Skill Check.
On the other I'm sort of guessing that the main text (i.e. explanation) of a Simple request should be something between one sentence and one paragraph.

I'm pretty sure many people can write a letter the size of this post either very rapidly in 1-2 minutes, or slowly and with careful wording. The question is what speed qualifies as Diplomacy+0.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Well, on one hand, I am interested what amount of such courtesies counts as the default amount for an Unmodified Skill Check.
On the other I'm sort of guessing that the main text (i.e. explanation) of a Simple request should be something between one sentence and one paragraph.

I'm pretty sure many people can write a letter the size of this post either very rapidly in 1-2 minutes, or slowly and with careful wording. The question is what speed qualifies as Diplomacy+0.
As someone who has to write letters to business contacts explaining difficulties with manuscripts and asking for help in resolving them, I'm going to say a quarter of an hour is a decent baseline. Perhaps an hour for a more substantial letter with a complex request. That's allowing some time to pace around and try out wordings and rethink them.

Bill Stoddard
Old 05-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
As someone who has to write letters to business contacts explaining difficulties with manuscripts and asking for help in resolving them, I'm going to say a quarter of an hour is a decent baseline. Perhaps an hour for a more substantial letter with a complex request. That's allowing some time to pace around and try out wordings and rethink them.

Bill Stoddard
Thanks.

. . . So would you say that the standard Time Spent modifiers are good enough for such actions, or would you treat them?

(Also, can I assume that the same rulings can be applied to the Piggybacking Technique? Or would it use Memetic time modifiers from the original memetics roll? Or something else? I was unsure where to ask the same time-use questions about it.)
Old 05-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
Refplace

My professional writing experiance is considerably less then Bills but I would put a cap on time modifers.
At a certain point your over thinking and not improving your work.
But adding a bonus for an editor (other then the author) not only can be a big help it can let you continue the extra time modifer for the new draft. Sometimes after a fresh pair of eyes has looked at it you go beyond the errors they see and approach part or all of it from a fresh viewpoint and perspective.

Not sure how to work it, ill be back later to check this thread and think on it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Daigoro

Quote:
Greetings, all!

Related: why is Calligraphy an option, but not Writing? Writing seems like a good complimentary skill for a more convincing wording of a request. Also, Calligraphy is kinda dead when you communicate through fixed-width non-formatted text.

Thanks in advance!
You might also consider that tweets and texts can also be quite persuasive, but only take a few seconds to write.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
You might also consider that tweets and texts can also be quite persuasive, but only take a few seconds to write.
I'm not sure if that's a manifestation of Writing skill, as GURPS defines it. It may be more a use of Propaganda skill.

Bill Stoddard

Tags
calligraphy, extra time, indirect influence, social engineering, time taken, writing