Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Brandy

Default [Powers] Detect (Lies) Ability

I want to build a power for disciples of a law-oriented deity that works as follows:

It places a visible aura of white light around the subject, but the light will change to red if the subject utters any statement that he or she knows to be false. The "light of the truth" requires that the subject be touched. It is possible to resist this power, but a willing subject can waive that right.

A canny subject can carefully parse and tell a half-truth, but the aura will only detect an out-and-out lie. (It is possible that more advanced casters could Link this with Affliction: Truthfulness, to make it more difficult to tell a smooth half-truth, but that's not what I'm looking for).

The Detect trait works for this I suppose, but the special effect is a little odd. I'm also not sure what frequency of occurence to give to an abstract quantity like "lies". Functionally, I'd like it to work more like an affliction -- it should not be easy to put the "light of the truth" on someone who does not wish it. It should be resisisted like a Malediction, I think.

It's almost like what I want to do is afflict some souped-up version of "Easy to Read", and I may, in fact, do just that. Call it a Divine Curse, build an affliction and be done with it.

I am curious how others would build this power, though. I'd also take any other input about other potential powers for a law-themed god, too.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
transmetahuman

Default Re: [Powers] Detect (Lies) Ability

I'm getting more and more leery of trying to define objective lies meaningfully for English speakers - the lines can get blurry in lots of surprising ways that don't necessarily even involve intent to deceive (we infer lots of background that isn't stated explicitly from statements in isolation). But I think Afflicting some variant of Truthfulness or Easy To Read is a good way to do it. Just figure out where you're drawing your lines, guesstimate a point value for the pseudo-disad, and use Affliction with Malediction.

Last edited by transmetahuman; 06-18-2009 at 09:48 AM.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Summonable Ally (Wisp of Truth).

The Wisp is loyal to the summoner, and possesses Empathy (+100% NDRR, -??% - only to detect lies) and Insubstantial. Feature: Wisp changes color when it detects lies.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Orienda

Afflict beneficial enhancement: accessory (white light) and accessory (red light) (only while telling a lie).
Orienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman View Post
I'm getting more and more leery of trying to define objective lies meaningfully for English speakers - the lines can get blurry in lots of surprising ways that don't necessarily even involve intent to deceive (we infer lots of background that isn't stated explicitly from statements in isolation).
Given that it is the speaker's intent that matters, I'm okay with it. The power doesn't say anything about the actual truth -- just whether the person speaking believes it to be true.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post

The Wisp is loyal to the summoner, and possesses Empathy (+100% NDRR, -??% - only to detect lies) and Insubstantial. Feature: Wisp changes color when it detects lies.
I don't think this is okay on a couple of fronts.

First, I personally find abilities built on summonable allies that aren't actually summonable allies to be lame. Sorry, nothing personal.

Second, since Detect Lies is an opposed roll, NDRR isn't appropriate.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman View Post
Just figure out where you're drawing your lines, guesstimate a point value for the pseudo-disad, and use Affliction with Malediction.
Easy to Read gives +4 to detect lies rolls for [-10]. My thought is that the Neon-Sign-of-Easy-to-Read should be [-25], equivalent to a +10 to others detect lies roll.

Light of Truth: Affliction 1 (Disadvantage: Divine Curse (Subject glows when telling lies), +25%; Malediction, +100%; Touch-Based, -20%; Divine, -10%; Costs 2 FP, -10%; Requires Concentration, -15%) [10]
Old 06-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Second, since Detect Lies is an opposed roll, NDRR isn't appropriate.
But Empathy works with an unresisted roll, and can detect lies among other things.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
SimonAce

Quote:

Thats good for a "Valdemar" style truth spell. Another option (though I like the "curse" one) is to afflict "truthfulness" on the target. The glowing is just a 0 point feature.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
But Empathy works with an unresisted roll, and can detect lies among other things.
It gives a bonus to a Lie Detection roll, but the Lie Detection roll itself is opposed.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers