Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Goober4473

Default Abusing Modular Abilities in a Non-Abusive Way

I came up with an interesting character concept, and I thought I'd share.

Take the Cosmic Power version of Modular Abilities, with Limited Use (1/day, -40%), Unctontrollable (this could get dangerous, -30%), and Unctonrollable Only (-20%).

This leaves you with 1 point per point of modular ability. Spend all of your points on this.

Once per day, in a stressful situation, your character changes entirely. The GM decides how.

Normally, getting 1 point per point on Cosmic Power is stupid, and no GM would allow it. But in this case, since the GM has total control, it would be pretty awesome.

For more hilarity, add in Physical, perhaps offset by the GM getting to change the character's dissadvantages as well. Now, the GM hands you an entirely new character sheet, worth the same number of points, once per day in a stressfull situation.

Even better, make the character, and everyone else, have no memory of the old character, replacing those memories with semi-logical memories of the new one. Essentially, everyone thinks that the character always was who s/he is now. But if the character thinks back s/he may notice inconsistencies, where s/he was the only one who was able to defeat a challenge (the demon was weak against only lightning magic), but currently has no special capabilities that would have made him/her unique in that situation (the demon was now vulnerable only to bullets, as the new character uses guns, yet half the rest of the party uses guns), so why was s/he the only one who could solve it? Why did the party buy him/her pizza afterwards if s/he didn't do anything special?

The character could carry a notebook full of things that don't add up in his/her past, and occaisionally find things that do add up in, which just doesn't add up ("Why did I think it was weird that I beat that demon? Clearly I'm the only one who has telekinesis in the group."). As a permenant dissadvantage, the character could act like a paranoid schizophrenic. But eventually, the rest of the group might start to notice inconsistencies as well.

Just an amusing idea.
Goober4473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Abusing Modular Abilities in a Non-Abusive Way

It would be pushing things too far to have that much control over other people's character's roleplaying. You don't get Edit Memory for free even if it's Uncontrolled. Also it's important to actually decide why this is happening.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Goober4473

If it was gonna be modifying memories, it would really become a GM-controlled event rather than a real ability.

Quote:
Also it's important to actually decide why this is happening.
Obviously, if this was something that was actually going to be played. It could always be left for the character to eventually discover, and be an unknown to begin with.
Goober4473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Brandy

The max limitation value is -80% so the cheapest that you can buy those Cosmic Modular ability points for is [2] per point.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Dwarf99

That is messed up in so many ways that even with my understanding of the english language I can't articulate it beyond what Bookman has already said.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

You'd need Physical, +100% for such a complete change as you describe, making this cost 12 points per point.

I recommend Modular Abilities: Alternate Form only for what you want to do,

Cosmic Modular Ability Pool, 75 Points
Limited: Alternate Form for GM determined template only, -50%; Limited Use, 1 per day, -40%; Physical, +50%; Unconscious only, -20%; Uncontrollable Trigger, Common, GM's Whim, -15% [163]

Which would always be pointed to a variation of....

Shapeshifting: Alternate Form
Cosmic, Uses full character point total for Racial Template value, +300%; Reduced Time 5, +100% [75]

Not bad for 163 points!

Now to change the memories, i would go with a variation of Obscure: Memory with Cosmic to let you use memory instead of a sense, and undetectable so that they don't think that's strange...That combined with including a 0 point reputation affecting "the people that used to know me" with the reputation for being "the person I am now"...

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 06-22-2009 at 12:04 AM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modular abilities, powers