Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #21
Jonas

Default Re: PU5 has landed...

In all seriousness for those who bought it what are your thoughts on its contents? I've been playing around with house rules in a similar vein for some time so this very much has me interested.
----
Per ardua ad astra "Through hard-work to the stars."
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #22
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
In all seriousness for those who bought it what are your thoughts on its contents? I've been playing around with house rules in a similar vein for some time so this very much has me interested.
There's a lot in the book that is already in a number of other books, so if you're quite widely read up on all the various GURPS books then not all of it will be explicitly new - but its very handy to have all of that in one place.

There's a fair bit of new stuff in there too though, so yey for fresh crunch! More importantly though, there is a pile of advice of how to incorporate many of these existing and new options - even broken down to what's befitting for specific genre choices. There's a bunch of suggestions of how to handle CP handouts with these new rules, how existing advantages can be retooled to include them, and a handy cheat sheet at the end of it all for an easy reference.

It's pretty handy overall, and a good read for both GMs and players just so you're aware of all of your potential options really. So if you quite like the idea of making better use of that meta-resource that is CP then its worth the buy imo. Of cause if your players are stingy hoarders of their CP who optimise every purchase then you might have use the suggestions on how to recost or alter CP handouts to better entice them to use these options.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #23
Jonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
-Length Snip-
To be fair I'm not that well versed in the material and the houserules I've considered before don't appear to be as extensive as in the preview so it sounds like it'll fit nicely. Thanks.
----
Per ardua ad astra "Through hard-work to the stars."
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #24
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Thanks.
No problem, I just hope you enjoy it and its worth the purchase.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #25
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
I will NOT be impulse buying this. I shall be impulse deciding-to-buy this. Its exactly like impulse buying except for a few days instead of having a GURPS book I have irony.
I impulse-added-to-wishlist this one.

(Every six months, I buy $50 worth of products from my e23 wishlist, just in case somebody runs an In Nomine playtest...)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #26
demonsbane

Quote:
(. . .) There's a fair bit of new stuff in there too though, so yey for fresh crunch! More importantly though, there is a pile of advice of how to incorporate many of these existing and new options - even broken down to what's befitting for specific genre choices. There's a bunch of suggestions of how to handle CP handouts with these new rules, how existing advantages can be retooled to include them, and a handy cheat sheet at the end of it all for an easy reference.
You almost wrote a review of PU 5, and a rather good one!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #27
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
You almost wrote a review of PU 5, and a rather good one!
Why thank you. Well almost thank you =D!

I did however just see Kromms summary which is a very good one. I guess if I had composed mine to be less or casual review I'd have been able to overcome that 'almost'. ;)
Old 06-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #28
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

I did however just see Kromms summary which is a very good one. I guess if I had composed mine to be less or casual review I'd have been able to overcome that 'almost'. ;)
Mine is marketing-speak, and a required effort for the person holding my job title, so it doesn't count. ;)
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #29
demonsbane

Quote:
Why thank you. Well almost thank you =D!
Yeah. What I meant with that "almost" is that, with some additions, it could be ready for being posted at RPG.Net or a similar place. And man, you were just answering to Jonas' question in this thread :)

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #30
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Mine is marketing-speak, and a required effort for the person holding my job title, so it doesn't count. ;)
I was just having a cheeky jest at demonsbane choice of the word 'almost' to be fair. Plus, market-speak or not, your overview is more concise and formally laid out than mine. But as you do have some invested interest in selling it the extra polish is to be expected - but that doesn't undermine the effort of producing it imo (so long as it's not lies, which it isn't).

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Yeah. What I meant with that "almost" is that, with some additions, it could be ready for being posted at RPG.Net or a similar place. And man, you were just answering to Jonas' question in this thread :)
Yeah, sorry I did understand that you were paying me a compliment, I just found it funny in how close to a slight it could've been with that wording - so thought I'd poke fun a little. Those winky smiley's do such a poor job at conveying humours tone /sigh.

Tags
character points, power-ups